General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

cornering issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
cornering issues

I was ran off the road today (on CA Highway 1 between Cambria and Monterey for those of you that know where it is) by some douche in a wrx. Coming into a really tight left hand blind corner, cliff with ocean on the left, mountain on the right (more like a cliff as the highway is cut right into a mountain that would not be possible to walk up or down), he came into my lane head on and I had to stand the bike up really fast not to get hit. That ended up making me hit the mountain on the right side, I was thrown from the bike but it stayed up right resting against the mountain.

No injuries and no cosmetic damage as I was going about 25 mph and was able to scrub some speed before hitting.

Well after that it seemed that every time I took a corner at <50 mph the front end felt like it was going to wash out. It almost resisted counter steering up to a certain point, then would dive hard and feel like I was going to low side. Cornering at 100+ felt great, but at low speed it was pretty scary.

I started to think it was just in my head and that I was being over cautious after going down, but a few weeks ago I almost low sided when the bike unexpectedly dove. I blamed it on gravel as I was on a mildy dirty road, but now its got me wondering.

I haven't done any work on my front end. I don't know when the PO serviced the forks, if at all. I looked everything over and nothing looks tweaked or bent. The only change I made was that I put a track day tire on the front when I got a hole. The center has tons of rubber, but its worn pretty good on the sides. I've been riding on it for a few months and never had any problems with grip or feel so I don't think that would cause too much dive on the front end.

So to those of you who understand the geometry of our bikes and know about suspension, what could be the cause? What should I look for?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
you sure the forks didn't twist at all in the triples?

Any time you crash, you should support the bike, loosen the bolts that hold the forks in the triples, and check the front end for proper alignment.

Check the headbearings for excessive play while your there too.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
SuperSport

The "resisting counter steering" you described makes me think the front end isn't aligned properly after your incident.

Probably steers normal one direction, and the other way seems sluggish and unresponsive???
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Acquiring other people "Take-offs" aka track day tires, and then using them on the street is a roll of the dice at best.

After racing for a weekend, I'd sell cheap, or give my track tires to stunter friends, as the middle had plenty of meat on them so they could do their stunts, they weren't using the worn out sides regardless.
Having tread on a tire doesn't mean it still is serviceable. Once the oils are cooked out of a tire, you're riding on fate, unless you have some superior skills.

This is just one of many variables, tire pressure, the interval from when the forks were serviced (fluid changed), or never serviced, your riding style etc.

I'd have the forks checked out thoroughly and get fresh tires put on. Don't gamble with track day tires unless you have nothing to lose, if you get my meaning.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
What they said. Get a new tire and check your forks.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
aja
SuperSport

I didn't check the alignment yet, but theoretically wouldn't the front axle hold them straight? I know very little about suspension so bare with me.

The tire is my own tire, I used it at my first 2 track days. I never gave any thought to it being dried out, but visually it looks fine. I didn't think it would have any thing to do with the diving since I've been riding it for quite a while and the dive is pretty recent. I'll definitely look for a new one though, thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
aja
SuperSport

Oh and for an example of how hard the bike-mountain impact was, it was probably travelling around 15 mph and hit the mountain at an angle of about 20 degrees. The hit made it fall over and stop resting against the mountain. I pretty much timed it right so I pushed the bike into the hill when I was thrown so it didn't lay over. It was soft enough that I didn't even get any scratches on the fairings, just dirt and grass in my bar end
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my forks twist in the triple tree of my vf1000f once when someone tipped it over in a parking lot so if it hits just right it doesn't take much of an impact at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
1: I know that road and corner as well as any.. Lived in Monterey for 5 years (Fort Ord) and was on HY 1 daily... best times of my life.

I got run off the road by an Mazda RX7 near the same area as you.
Nice right hand sweeper (heading south to San Luis Obispo) Old dude basically drove straight though both lanes of the corner...

2: Your underestimation how little force it takes to twist the fork tubes in the triple clamps, and no, the axle will not hold them straight and aligned.
Twisting in the clamps is so common, it's really a 100% assumption any time the broke it's something it was not supposed to.

3: The observations and suggestions on race tire take offs are spot on as well.
Attached Thumbnails cornering issues-off-road.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 AM
aja
SuperSport

Haha how weird, I live in Slo. That is the exact corner, right where everyone parks to hike that trail. I will definitely have the front end looked at, I'm getting new oil and seals put in next week so I will make sure to have them inspected thoroughly.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
oh yeah. I did that road several times when i was out there for grand prix. You guys out there are lucky. That ******* out of his lane on a blind corner was also lucky you weren't a camper or he would have been fucked.

Coming up from LA, I came across a motorcyclist lying in the middle of the south bound side(had been hit by a camper on one of those 15mph turns). Not an image I will forget,

take this the way you want to, but never put a used track tire on the front, esp since you're aggressive in the turns. Stupid dumb-*** thing to do. There are places to save money, but tires, and esp front tires, ain't one of em.

As far as your front end, can you take your hands off the bars and go straight? is the mark on your top triple centered when you're riding? If not remove front wheel, loosen front end completely, see if forks slide up and down without binding. If not, follow manual sequence to put together incl. pushing front up and down to align. Also a good time to check you steering bearings for play or roughness........sometime need replaced or tightened, but should be monitored when you get the front tire off the ground for maintenance.

If you can't do it, seek out help, but it ain't hard........just take your time and analyze as you go. Your *** depends on it.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 AM
aja
SuperSport

I know about track tires, but this one honestly didn't give me any doubts. I used it for a total of 3 laps, I wasn't doing a hard track day just tuning a buddies power commander on his zx6. I had a local tire guy that I go on group rides with all the time put it on, he would have told me if it wasn't safe. I'm still replacing it, but I doubt the tire has much to do with it.

My cousin is dating an mmi and Harley graduate that owns a shop behind their house 2 blocks from me so I have my own personal mechanic, ill have him check it out.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by aja
I know about track tires, but this one honestly didn't give me any doubts. I used it for a total of 3 laps, I wasn't doing a hard track day just tuning a buddies power commander on his zx6. I had a local tire guy that I go on group rides with all the time put it on, he would have told me if it wasn't safe. I'm still replacing it, but I doubt the tire has much to do with it.

My cousin is dating an mmi and Harley graduate that owns a shop behind their house 2 blocks from me so I have my own personal mechanic, ill have him check it out.

Based on that, I'd keep the tire on it. Give the bike a good once over, loosen the pinch bolts on the triples, check the alignment.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by aja
I know about track tires, but this one honestly didn't give me any doubts. I used it for a total of 3 laps, I wasn't doing a hard track day just tuning a buddies power commander on his zx6. I had a local tire guy that I go on group rides with all the time put it on, he would have told me if it wasn't safe. I'm still replacing it, but I doubt the tire has much to do with it..
Kinda confused. Above, you said The only change I made was that I put a track day tire on the front when I got a hole. The center has tons of rubber, but its worn pretty good on the sides.

And then you said you used it for a total of 3 laps?

Get your story straight, son. :-)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
I would get the bike up on a rear stand (or center stand) and take some very good measurements of all angles of the front end relative to the frame, steering head and rear wheel. From there if the forks are still true (not bent) then get the front end up and loosen everything and reset the front end. It wouldn't hurt to check your rotors too, especially the one on the right side (the side of impact). Once everything on the front is reset do an alignment rear-to-front. The string method will suffice, you can find out more about all of this both on this forum and through other general motorcycle resources on the internet. If you're not sure in doing it yourself get to a good certified mechanic/shop for the work. And oh yeah, I would not recommend going 100+ mph on a bike I suspect could have an alignment issue.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Kinda confused. Above, you said The only change I made was that I put a track day tire on the front when I got a hole. The center has tons of rubber, but its worn pretty good on the sides.

And then you said you used it for a total of 3 laps?

Get your story straight, son. :-)
what's confusing about that? I used the tire for 3 laps (more like sessions, maybe 4 or 5 laps, I don't really remember I just know I went out 3 times for a few minutes each time). This was on someone else's bike. I put the tire on because his was ****, then took it off afterwards and brought it home. I got a hole in the front on my bike, so i put the tire I used at the track on. I'm a very aggressive track rider, so naturally the sides of the tire wore down on that hot day.

Get your reading straight, son
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by aja
what's confusing about that? I used the tire for 3 laps (more like sessions, maybe 4 or 5 laps, I don't really remember I just know I went out 3 times for a few minutes each time). This was on someone else's bike. I put the tire on because his was ****, then took it off afterwards and brought it home. I got a hole in the front on my bike, so i put the tire I used at the track on. I'm a very aggressive track rider, so naturally the sides of the tire wore down on that hot day.

Get your reading straight, son

Oh, so now it's sessions, not laps. The story changes every post, lolZ!

All kidding aside, I'm sure you'll get to the root of the problem via your forks.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:15 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
Well after that it seemed that every time I took a corner at <50 mph the front end felt like it was going to wash out. It almost resisted counter steering up to a certain point, then would dive hard and feel like I was going to low side. The center has tons of rubber, but its worn pretty good on the sides. I've been riding on it for a few months and never had any problems with grip or feel so I don't think that would cause too much dive on the front end.

So to those of you who understand the geometry of our bikes and know about suspension, what could be the cause? What should I look for?
Originally Posted by matt365
Based on that, I'd keep the tire on it. Give the bike a good once over, loosen the pinch bolts on the triples, check the alignment.
this take-off track tire is seriously crowned and the symptoms you describe belies this condition perfectly. When you have a crowned front and a rounded rear, it's hairy for sure.

Last edited by nath981; 03-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

I'd say post up a picture of the tire. I can't see how it would be that chewed up after three sessions.