General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

foot down cornering

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Squid

MotoHawk is on a distinguished road
foot down cornering

Is anyone else using their foot to judge the lean angle during low speed cornering?
I place my foot out and slide my boot across the pavement. I find that it helps me open the throttle sooner on corner entry. This seems particularly helpful for city corners and u-turns.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
1) How slow speed?,

2) Will you miss your foot if it gets crushed.

If you hit an unexpected pothole at speed you will bread a bunch of stuff and maybe crash in the process.

On the track you use your knee to guage angle but it has a slider on it an no potholes on the track.

Why do you need to guage lean angle other than what it takes to go round the corner?

"Conciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to greatness" ..Bruce Lee

True in martial arts and motorcycle riding.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
While a few of the top Moto GP riders are sticking a foot and leg out for balance as the are hard on the brakes for a turn..... I think I'll pass for that or "gauging lean angle" more so on the street where the riding surface is a big variable
Old 06-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Squid

AMP1 is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't do that foot down thang., good way to loose a foot or break an ankle
Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Have a supermotard riding friend who does a little bit of this on the dragon. Unless going super slow on something loose I would not
Old 06-07-2014, 06:26 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Even when riding my dirtbike through fast turns i don't put my foot down anymore. I find that the tires have so much grip that putting my foot down just negatively impacts me (mentally) into thinking i'm gonna slide.

There is a time and a place for it, like when trying to do a very sharp turn in sandy conditions. Thats about it though.

James
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
Even when riding my dirtbike through fast turns i don't put my foot down anymore. I find that the tires have so much grip that putting my foot down just negatively impacts me (mentally) into thinking i'm gonna slide.

There is a time and a place for it, like when trying to do a very sharp turn in sandy conditions. Thats about it though.

James
+1 Right on brother
Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jerryh
Have a supermotard riding friend who does a little bit of this on the dragon. Unless going super slow on something loose I would not

Was tarding my Husaberg at the Gap a couple of 4th of July's ago, on Saturday about 10 of us were in a group, I was in the middle guarding my line and I stuck my boot out a few times trying to get a feel for the corners and my buddy (AMA National Number) ran my boot over.

At the overlook I asked him what the hell about running my boot over and he said if I stick it out again he will run over it again, he said you don't stick your foot out on pavement ever. and the only exception was unless your trying to save it.

Now he and a few guys would power slide the corners as they passed us with their feet on the pegs which was really cool and a few of them would tap a toe on the pavement to save the bike and to get pointed in the right direction but these guys were professional racers and knew what they were doing.

And yes the local Gap Super moto riders do power slide some of the outside of the corners in the gravel what little there is and some put their foot down on the controlled slide around the corners.

Be very careful at Deals Gap on the inside turns because just off the gravel there are drops that will swallow a car!

If your alone and go in one of these holes it may be days before they find you!

SIRR1
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
The guy intentionally ran your boot over? He could of injured your foot/ankle or caused you to dump it what an arrogant jerk. You're a nice guy that handled the situation in a different way than I would have