General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

cold blooded

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
cold blooded

I've been having some problems in the morning when it's the 40's or 50's. Its running rough and stumbles and misfires until it gets hot. It doesn't want to run right until its at least 70 degrees outside. When the bike gets up to 195 and up it seems to start running pretty good. I let the bike warm up in the morning I usually don't leave until it about 140 to 150 degrees. Is this pretty normal? I've always had carbed bikes but this one seems to be quarky is it a superhawk thing or what?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Once the coolant temp hits 100 degrees I can push in the choke and ride away no problem.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
mine is pretty finicky too... not quite that bad though.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We rarely ride out in cold weather until the needle breaks away from the peg. Maybe check for a sticky or slow choke cable? Mine was sticking in cold weather and a shot up WD under the rubber collar was a great help. Carb Synch could be done and your jetting may be set up wrong. If your Superhawk was too rich it would bobble worse in warm weather than cold. They're all going to cackle and fart flames while they're cold on decel.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Once the coolant temp hits 100 degrees I can push in the choke and ride away no problem.

Sorry but I just have to ask. My choke will not stay out unless I hold it the entire time! When I go to start it for the first time, if I pull it out then let go it will immediately start to close killing the engine. I usually hold it open for approx 20 seconds then use the throttle to warm the bike until the temp registers prior to leaving.

I'm a little afraid to spray some WD on it as I think it will cause to to close even faster than it alread does. Any suggestions???
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Yeah, get over your fear.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grizz

Sorry but I just have to ask. My choke will not stay out unless I hold it the entire time! When I go to start it for the first time, if I pull it out then let go it will immediately start to close killing the engine. I usually hold it open for approx 20 seconds then use the throttle to warm the bike until the temp registers prior to leaving.

I'm a little afraid to spray some WD on it as I think it will cause to to close even faster than it alread does. Any suggestions???
You can adjust the tension on the choke by pulling the rubber boot and adjusting the plastic ****.. a 2 second, no tool fix to keep the choke from going in on it's own.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by timdske
I've been having some problems in the morning when it's the 40's or 50's. Its running rough and stumbles and misfires until it gets hot. It doesn't want to run right until its at least 70 degrees outside. When the bike gets up to 195 and up it seems to start running pretty good. I let the bike warm up in the morning I usually don't leave until it about 140 to 150 degrees. Is this pretty normal? I've always had carbed bikes but this one seems to be quarky is it a superhawk thing or what?

Sounds like it could be running lean on the pilot jet. Chechk to make sure there is no blockage.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timdske
Is everything stock or do you have mods? You can read my specs below. I have no problems with cold starts. I don't even let it idle but for a few minutes while I put my gloves on and drive away with the choke on full. As soon as I get past the first couple stop signs, i push the choke in and ride as usual.