General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

clutchless upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
clutchless upshifting

in the latest sportrider magazine there is an article about clutchless upshifting. anyone read it? well to keep it brief and not quote the whole article. it is shifting without the use of the clutch lever. it states it is not detrimental to do this. so what the hell i tried it. it works. give her the throttle, put a little pre-tension on the shifter linkage right before you want the next gear, back off the throttle then upshift when ya want the next gear and wallah your in the next gear. is this really okay to do regularly? any potential problems?
Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Welcome to synchronized transmissions, newbie. :-)

Problems? Yes, if you get lazy and botch them. You don't have to pull the clutch all the way in to the bar to shift, just partially "fake it". Then if you do botch the shift you are much closer to fully disengaging the clutch and will minimize the mistake.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
+1 on what Doug said.

And it's "voila," not "walla."
Old 02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
teachers always teachin'! I've been doing the clutchless upshift for about a year and a half on the track with no illeffect as of yet, much easier mid-corner then clutching it but don't down shift that way!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
well, racers do clutchless downshifts but their transmissions are replaced or rebuilt every week. me? I can't afford that!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Squid

roisman is on a distinguished road
I've read an article from a motoring magazine years back regarding sequential transmissions, these are the type of trannies that are used on almost all motorcycles and also found in most road racing cars and rally cars. It said there that it is not damaging for these types of transmissions to be up-shifted without the use of the clutch, also said there that they used these type of trannies for race cars to minimize the time taken to shift from gear to gear.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
My problem is that I honestly never really feel the benefit is that great...I don't do track days, and with the wide powerband, have few corners on public roads here that merit the use. I suppose if I did it constantly it would become habit and then be useful, but clutching is so easy and quick, and the other requires me to think..
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I do it a lot on my dirt bike, especially when I am tired and my clutch hand has turned to jelly.........

It shifts perfectly.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have really only found use for it at the track...and when riding faster than I should be on the street. Yes, it's a quicker shift, but I've only found it works well when WFO. I'd not do it in a corner. YMMV.

At the track I do a semi-clutchless downshift, except for the last gear before the turn, then I sort of feather the clutch while trailbraking.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I always do clutchless upshifts and never ever shift in a turn!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
anything can be shifted clutchless. syncroed or not. up or downshifted. its all a matter of matching RPM and travel speed. years of driving old dump trucks with no power clutch its like pushing a sack of concrete six inches every time u need too shift. so i got in the habit of only useing the clutch to get going from a full stop. ive also raced ATV's for a while. its actually easier to go clutchless when im just tooling around. again up or downshifting, saves the effort of having to grab for the clutch. in hard corners or racing i use the clutch a bit to help ease things together when im too far away from where i need to be at matching speeds. dont ever shift at WOT or dead throttle, even when using the clutch u should always be as close to no load, as possible.

most racers either drop the throttle when they go to shift or have electronic sensors on the bike that as soon as the hit the shifter it actually kills the ignition for a couple beets. this is also how cart series cars work. and ive seen this setup on a couple of atv's in the races. or another famous clutchless shift system is the airshifter, though its usually only used in drag situations.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I have really only found use for it at the track...and when riding faster than I should be on the street. Yes, it's a quicker shift, but I've only found it works well when WFO. I'd not do it in a corner. YMMV.

At the track I do a semi-clutchless downshift, except for the last gear before the turn, then I sort of feather the clutch while trailbraking.
Originally Posted by Lefin102
I always do clutchless upshifts and never ever shift in a turn!
Wussies!! With practice you can be very smooth and it will not upset the chassis, if you're in a long fast sweeper on the track and run out of RPM's what do you do? The only reason I even tried it was I was told to by expert CCS and AMA racers and it really does work.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah you have only crashed twice this year,just kidding man really just wanted to try these new smilies
Old 02-28-2007, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

Where's that damn smilie with the middle fingers at!!! Hey I had a good record going before that though and technically the first one was last year and the guy hit me.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Superstock

smilies good. crashing bad. but at least you're bold enough to push your limits
Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Superstock

this one ?
no offense neil. you earned a
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
MotoGP

Yep that's it but I was only joking and can take the ribbing, one of the guys at work calls me scrag! No worries.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Talking

I've been clutchless shifting since I started riding, my grandpa taught me in his big rig and I just figured "what the hell its gotta work on my bike too".
Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Superstock

we know. I was trying to compliment you on having the gall to push it that hard. we all exceed the limits at some point. gotta push yourself to improve yourself.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
MotoGP

It's kind of a vicous circle......build confidence.......push harder......go faster.....CRASH!! Lose confidence......slow down......build confidence back......go even faster......CRASH AGAIN DAMN IT!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Superstock

glad you took it so well,I thought I was going to have to hide out!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
MotoGP

No worries Neil.....live and learn I always say......lukily I lived so I've learned not to pass there again!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Superstock

neil's allowed on the furniture !! my cat and i are limited to the floor or carport. you rock
see, i have to use a brick wall to hide out. and i have to borrow it !
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Superstock

I'm the king of my domain!! the wife does not tell me what to do!! uhohhh here she comes talk to you guys later I'm grounded
Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Squid

roisman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
It's kind of a vicous circle......build confidence.......push harder......go faster.....CRASH!! Lose confidence......slow down......build confidence back......go even faster......CRASH AGAIN DAMN IT!!!
You're right on the money! Same thing happened to me when I slid of the road last year.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

To break the cycle, you need to examine what caused the crash in the first place.

Next time, SH22, bring a chain and ball (the real thing, not a woman) to smack the other riders around...Road Rash style!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:04 PM
MotoGP

Well the 1st one was caused by an asshat who setup too soon for a corner, as much as I wanted to blame myself the more I look at the picture I just can't come to any other conclusion. The 2nd one was caused by thinking about the 1st one so that was my fault for letting it still be in my head. It only took a second or two to look over to see what the guy I passed was doing to get me into the corner too hot. Lesson learned on the 1st one choose a better place to pass, lesson learned on the second one FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Well the 1st one was caused by an asshat who setup too soon for a corner, as much as I wanted to blame myself the more I look at the picture I just can't come to any other conclusion. The 2nd one was caused by thinking about the 1st one so that was my fault for letting it still be in my head. It only took a second or two to look over to see what the guy I passed was doing to get me into the corner too hot. Lesson learned on the 1st one choose a better place to pass, lesson learned on the second one FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!!!!!
I wasn't aiming my previous post towards you - I was making a broad generalization. Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers. Get it? Superchicken? Feathers? Damn I'm funny.

Oh, I'm not aiming this post towards you either by mentioning "chicken." I'm not saying you're a chicken. I was saying you ride a chicken. Hope I didn't **** you off.

Oh, I didn't mean to say I want to give you a golden shower. I'm just saying that I d...

Oh nevermind. :P
Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

No not at all, just trying to pass some knowledge so others can learn from my mistakes, R Kelly.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

No not at all, just trying to pass some knowledge so others can learn from my mistakes, R Kelly.
Hey. I don't see nothing wrong. With a little bump and grind. You remind me of a Jeep. Nobody.

Quick Reply: clutchless upshifting