General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Clutch slave leaking again...still...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Clutch slave leaking again...still...

I rebuilt it once with an aftermarket kit. It leaked. Bought all of the rebuild stuff individually from Honda and re..rebuilt it. Made sure that piston and cylinder were clean..yet again, and it started leaking after less than 30 miles. Appears to be leaking at the lower bolt gasket area. Retorqued the 8mm bolts...cleaned everything up. I did not put any gasket sealant on the gasket. Was that my mistake?

Last edited by YMRacing; 07-30-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
I may be mistaken but, I don't believe the gasket "Seals" anything involving the clutch (brake) fluid. It's simply just an isolator from the engine side case. Is it leaking clutch fluid or engine oil? mine leaked engine oil around the push rod seal after I disturbed it while installing my new Oberon slave. Easy fix, replaced the seal.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Superstock

Unfortunately, it's indeed brake fluid.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Did you check the condition of the slave cylinder bore - ingested grit can scratch the surface so much so that even new seals leak. A bit of fine grade wet&dry can help smooth things out

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/..._Cylinder.html
Old 07-31-2019, 04:46 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah the gasket is an isolator. Did you scour the bore? They tend to pit and become unsealable.

I went thru this a lot so got the Oberon aftermarket unit & moved on with my life.

The part just wears out and wont seal. (picture piston in gouged bore). Not worth the many afternoons of wrenching just to see it leak.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 AM
Superstock

Yep, polished the piston. Cleaned the bore with a fine sandpaper finish.

Oberon sounds like the cure.

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YMRacing
I rebuilt it once with an aftermarket kit. It leaked. Bought all of the rebuild stuff individually from Honda and re..rebuilt it. Made sure that piston and cylinder were clean..yet again, and it started leaking after less than 30 miles. Appears to be leaking at the lower bolt gasket area. Retorqued the 8mm bolts...cleaned everything up. I did not put any gasket sealant on the gasket. Was that my mistake?
The paper gasket is there to "seal" the assembly to the case from water, dirt ect, it is not a fluid seal.

If it is indeed brake fluid and not oil, the piston to slave housing seal is likely the issue, or condition of the aluminum slave cylinder wall. If its not scratched, pitted, gouged, id take some careful measurements with an inside mic or telescoping gauge and outside mike to make sure the cylinder is round, no oval and not tapered.

Actually, no that's not true.....if I had a VTR clutch slave that needed work, id remove it and toss it in the garbage can, replacing it with a new Oberon slave cylinder and not spend a minute or dollar rebuilding a stock one

I have an early year non integrated clutch master cylinder with a fresh all service part rebuild, new res cup, SS braided line and the Oberon slave...Very happy with it. Have done the same on two other VTRs for folks, and both very happy with the results over stock.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Superstock

Thanks everyone...going Oberon..anyone in particular you might recommend I purchase one from?
Found one on ebay, states it's for VTR1000RR and RC51. They claim it doesn't fit a VTR1000F....Really?
Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 PM
Superstock

I ordered mine from Oberon-Performance.co.uk, direct. Price with shipping wasn't bad and had it in 6 days.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM
Squid

superhawk138 is on a distinguished road
This may be an option to buy from https://bluestreakracing.ca/us/shop-...-cylinder.html
Old 07-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk138
Blue streak Racing is the US distributor for Oberon
You can order direct from them, though Ebay from them, or direct from Oberon.

Ive done one of each now...... really no difference
Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YMRacing
Thanks everyone...going Oberon..anyone in particular you might recommend I purchase one from?
Found one on ebay, states it's for VTR1000RR and RC51. They claim it doesn't fit a VTR1000F....Really?
The Slave unit on the VTR is common across a range of other Hondas - but the one you want is the CLU-3038
Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Superstock

Well, I'll be damned...Without consulting with my wife, this is the second time in my life that I have made a mistake. The first was 1969. I rebuilt a VW bug engine. Being a bit of an **** retentive, and know-it-all even then, I made sure all the gaps in the rings were lined up...Now in 2019 I found that when I rebuilt my slave cylinder, I put the piston seal in backwards....Regardless, the Oberon is ordered, it will be installed soon. If you know of anyone who would like a rebuilt Superhawk slave cylinder, yes the piston seal has been <ahem> reorientated. It can be had for shipping from 61822.

I apologize for my mistake, and wasting your time...
Old 08-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Superstock

We all make 'em! Those that say they don't, lie! LOL. You may like the Oberon better as the slightly larger bore gives it a more progressive engagement.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CaryDG
We all make 'em! Those that say they don't, lie! LOL. You may like the Oberon better as the slightly larger bore gives it a more progressive engagement.
My wife says I'm off in the number of mistakes I've made. The 2 I confessed to are more likely a 2... with numerous zeros behind it. You're right dear.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Superstock

Ordered the Oberon from Blue Streak 1 August. Arrived today, 14 Aug . Installed and, damn...I bled more than necessary as I thought I wasn't getting any clutch! It's really light! Thanks again to all of your help.