Clutch doing a strange "burp" thing + Engine cutting off at red lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
Clutch doing a strange "burp" thing + Engine cutting off at red lights

Hi

I am a new rider so I dont know the best words to describe my problem. But let me try.

Ok....I have a coupla problems:

1) When I come in fast to a red light, and pull in the clutch, the engine cuts off...it turns on immediately after though ....Sometimes just after I stop at a light and try to pull out fast, I hear this "TISSSSSH" and the engine cuts off ..as above, it turns on immediately too..

2) Sometimes if I need some immediate power I hold my clutch back in a little bit to give me that extra surge (like going up a hill). There are a few times where the clutch seems to "burp"..slightly slip and hold back again....a mechanic told me that clutch lever and pump were ok and if there was anything wrong then it must be in the transmission. I tried to explain it to the mechanic and the only way I could simulate this "burping" was by pushing the bike against a curb and trying to do a burn out....even before my back wheel started turning...the burp thing would happen once in a while and then once the wheel started turning it would happen lesser...is this something common to the hawk (and /or hydraulic clutches)...I was low on oil ...is this the reason?

Please tell me what you think abt this.

( another note on the same: I changed my oil today and its not happening today. I will report back to this message if it doesnt happen in the near future)

Cheers
Vasaq

PS: ( I tried looking these problems up on the forum but i was not able to get the search thing to work properly ..the Image verification never worked for me and when it worked..it asked me to wait for 15 seconds)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Squid

Micah is on a distinguished road
You may want to try to turn up your idle a little for a quick fix, but you may need to install a jet kit if you have aftermarket exhaust or air filter. If not you may just need to clean out your carbs. The people on this site are very knowledge able about this stuff especially Hawkrider, he has a site just for the SH, check it out.
GREG'S HONDA LITERBIKES ONLINE
Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Turning up the idle might fix it... but it's like taking an aspirin to cure a sniffle... doesn't cure it but makes you feel better... ie it's basicly just hides the problem...

Smarter option is to sync your carbs and re-route the breather tubes that sometimes causes those red-light hickups... Read up on that on Greg's site, in the link above...

One plausible problem I can think of with your clutch would be worn plates or springs... check it by lettin the bike warm up first,then cruising at low speed with constant throttle, and check the rev's, they should be constant... if they wander it's possible the clutch is slipping...

Low on oil is always a bad thing...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:24 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
+1 on carb sync for the cut off problem

The only way I got mine to stop doing it was by switching from 93 to 89 octane. Sounds weird but it seemed to solve the problem.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Don't coast when coming to a light. This is a known "characteristic" of the VTR. Downshift and keep the bike in gear, or use the clutch to keep the rpm up a little while slowing.

As far as slipping the clutch, dont'. Just downshift if you want more power. It's hard on your clutch, hard on your oil (creates heat and particulate), and on top of that the VTR clutch is grabby if you slip it too much.