General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Chugging on highway... eventually died.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Chugging on highway... eventually died.

So I was cruising on the highway about 75mph, bike starts to run really rough like choke was on full or something. Eventually it just died, wouldn't start back up. Then the battery died quite fast from attempting to start. Does this sound like fuel starvation? If so, where should I start to look? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Do you know if it had spark or not? Have you replaced the R/R?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Back Marker

Yes, I forgot to add all the guages and lights still worked fine after even the battery died. R/R was just replaced about 3k miles ago. Started fine before I left, and rode for a good 10 min before it happened.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Have you done any work to your carbs lately? Have you had the tank off?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

Haven't done anything with the carbs lately, had the tank off about 3k miles ago.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The first thing I would check is the diaphragm in the petcock. Sounds like it might have split.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Agreed, it definitely sounds like fuel supply one way or the other...did it sound like it was cutting out on one cylinder? Did you try popping the cap on the tank before you restarted?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by wyldryce
Agreed, it definitely sounds like fuel supply one way or the other...did it sound like it was cutting out on one cylinder? Did you try popping the cap on the tank before you restarted?
Yes, that's exactly what it sounded like. No, I'm gonna try that trick as soon as I get the battery charged back up. Thanks so far guys.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Squid

rafbo is on a distinguished road
Mine use to do that but only if I was riding in the rain. I would open the gas cap to release the pressure in the tank and the bike would start right up, but then die again after a few miles. Until I could get out of the rain, when the bike would die, I would pull the clutch in, coast, open the cap, release the clutch, the bike would start right up and keep going. When I was able to find a good place to stop, I removed the tank and found that a drain hose coming out of the bottom of the tank was clogged so I cut the end off and blew some air in it (bubbles came out inside the tank). Problem solved.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by rafbo
Mine use to do that but only if I was riding in the rain. I would open the gas cap to release the pressure in the tank and the bike would start right up, but then die again after a few miles. Until I could get out of the rain, when the bike would die, I would pull the clutch in, coast, open the cap, release the clutch, the bike would start right up and keep going. When I was able to find a good place to stop, I removed the tank and found that a drain hose coming out of the bottom of the tank was clogged so I cut the end off and blew some air in it (bubbles came out inside the tank). Problem solved.
strong first post, thank you sir.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
I have a similar problem!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
imp
Squid

imp is on a distinguished road
one more vote for torn petcock vacuum diaphragm, or misplaced petcock vacuum line or both (one begetting the other). After "PVLIR" mine went some few thousand miles before the PVD tore, exact same symptoms, and you say the tank was off 3k mi ago~
Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Squid

jsteel is on a distinguished road
thanks; mine just did it two mornings ago on the way to work. It was like the worst rain I have been out in on it , I dont mind the water and was tootling along at about 120-130kph and after about 15-20min from home it played up the first time. I made sure trhe choke was right in and carried on and as stated the motor stopped completely , came to a rolling stop pushed the starter button and off i went again for about the same amount of time.Let it dry during day rode it home and it hasnt missed a beat since,will try your fix this weekend and let you know what i find.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

For those saying open the cap while moving, how in the world did you do that if the key won't come out while it's open? I assume all hawks are like that.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
2 keys
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Does that win the prize for the shortest post ever?

Fish
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
no
Old 09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by swaptrex
For those saying open the cap while moving, how in the world did you do that if the key won't come out while it's open? I assume all hawks are like that.
Push on the gasket on the underside of the gas cap while turning the key counterclockwise.

Did you top off at the gas station bofore you had the issue?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
To let air in preventing vacuum lock and lose surplus weight simply drill holes in the gas tank...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky
To let air in preventing vacuum lock and lose surplus weight simply drill holes in the gas tank...
send me pics of how you did yours I obviously know that 2 keys would work lol but my key won't come out when it's open, and I only have 1 key.

I'm pretty sure I topped off the day before.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... If it's all the same to you, killing the engine and opening the lid will have the exact same result... Ie the sound of breaking a vaccum and then the bike fires up again... But that could just be to hard... I mean, stopping and opening the tank lid seems so damned complicated...

Oh, and if you prefer not to have the problem in the first place, refrain from topping the tank to where the gas hits the lower lip of the lid...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jsteel
thanks; mine just did it two mornings ago on the way to work. It was like the worst rain I have been out in on it , I dont mind the water and was tootling along at about 120-130kph and after about 15-20min from home it played up the first time. I made sure trhe choke was right in and carried on and as stated the motor stopped completely , came to a rolling stop pushed the starter button and off i went again for about the same amount of time.Let it dry during day rode it home and it hasnt missed a beat since,will try your fix this weekend and let you know what i find.
welcome aboard jsteel.

while you're checking around, check the coil wire connection for wetness. If it is dry spray some water on it to see if it misses or stalls. Pull the boot back and see if it is wet or looks like it's been wet. My XR650L was stuttering, stalling, barely running in the rain. If it stalled it would start right back up. When it wasn't raining it ran perfectly. I even started it up and sprayed the hose all over the front while it was running and nothing. As I was checking things over I noticed that the rubber boot on the coil wire connection was a little larger than the wire. I pulled it off and it was very wet. Evidently, water was running down the coil wire and into the rubber boot and causing stall and/or miss.

Last edited by nath981; 09-11-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Back Marker

tried starting it today, wouldn't fire. I guess I'll start getting the tank off, what should I mainly look for? Do I have to take the petcock apart?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 AM
MotoGP

tried starting it today, wouldn't fire. I guess I'll start getting the tank off, what should I mainly look for? Do I have to take the petcock apart?
this a situation where you need to raise your tank(use small strap to raise front is great for investigating-search for pics) and start checking things out(helps to have a manual or download).

http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VT...ice_Manual.pdf

I believe you can check the diaphram function before you remove because i tried to get mine out just to check the screen and gave up to keep from breaking it. Hopefully something obvious like a hose off.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Back Marker

Well I lifted the tank, the line to the petcock is correct. So, is it most likely the diaphragm? How do I check the function without taking it out? Didn't see anything in the manual about it.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
Sounds like one of the vacuum lines came off the tank. How many hoses are connected to the tank (should be 2), and how many are connected to the petcock (should be 2 large, and 1 small on the back side of it)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Back Marker

All the lines appear good, plus I've put over 3k miles on it with the lines that way. However, one line (large) going into the bottom of the tank was cracked near the nipple so I fixed that. That didn't fix the starting issue though.

So would you guys recommend the next step to be taking the petcock apart? It just looks like a bitch to remove (hopefully not) and I want to look at everything else before that.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 AM
MotoGP

All the lines appear good, plus I've put over 3k miles on it with the lines that way. However, one line (large) going into the bottom of the tank was cracked near the nipple so I fixed that. That didn't fix the starting issue though.

So would you guys recommend the next step to be taking the petcock apart? It just looks like a bitch to remove (hopefully not) and I want to look at everything else before that.

I don't know what the problem is but this may help you to find out.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...tcock+diaphram
Old 09-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Squid

Acecool is on a distinguished road
If it cracked and emptied the line, you may have to reprime it..

The nipple on the bottom with the tiny hole: Attach a siphon hose to this, hold the end of the siphon hose shut and squeeze the ball. Primed!

Quick Reply: Chugging on highway... eventually died.