General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Chain Dilemma

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Chain Dilemma

My brother and I went for a 100 mile. As you might imagine, we had to fill up on the way home. At the gas station, 3 bikes pull in – 600 Gixers. Two were solo, one had a passenger that was “easy on the eye”. What really caught my attention was that this guy’s bike was clean, but the chain was rusted and was way too tight, like snap crackle pop was around the corner. My OCD took over, and I mentioned to my brother to take a look, his comment was simply “DB”. I said that I was going to go point this out to the guy, to which my brother said “what for?” So, I let it go, after all, Gixer guy had the babe, while I was out with my brother, see my point? I am still upset by this, there is no reason to have a rusty too tight chain. I should have said something. What would you all have done? JB

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
I don't know good question.. It depend i guess on the guy.. If he look like an ******* then i wouldn't.. I been there trying to help a guy out and he end up yelling at me and say i stole his stuff.. So it depend on the other peson..
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
This may sound a bit twisted, but it's because of people like that I stay in business. Pretty much every bike we get has a clapped out chain, bald tires, overfilled or underfilled oil, etc... Is maintenance really that hard?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg

What would you all have done?

Nothing.........dood wants to abuse his ride, that's his business.
Besides, if the bike comes up for sale a chitty chain is a good way to get
an idea of the overall bike condition.

Rex
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My experience, going back several decades, has told me that if I give advice to a woman about her vehicle, she will usually thank me. But try the same with a guy I don't know, and I'm likely to get a "F#*@ off!". It's kind of an ego thing.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Bitches know. Once they've had a rusty chain man, they never go back.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
I have a rusty, well adjusted, slightly stretched chain. The only problem is I have to lube it weakly. I'm trying to destroy it so I have a good excuse to put on the new chain and sprocket I have for it.

I would have said something, there's a lack of eye candy in the world.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
I agree with doom, if they would have came across as level headed and maybe even game me the "nod", I would have said something. If there was no contact and shrugged off similar to a bearded Halrey rider, Let'em fail on their own.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:47 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AdamK
I agree with doom, if they would have came across as level headed and maybe even game me the "nod", I would have said something. If there was no contact and shrugged off similar to a bearded Halrey rider, Let'em fail on their own.
+1
Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Fading Fast
Squid

alientestsubject is on a distinguished road
tough call

it would be nice if we were a tight knit community. but the reality of it is, there are people who are total ********. just because a guy has a motorcycle doesnt mean he's into it. i guess its a judgement call. we can only do the best we can. vote with your conscience.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
I would have gave the guy a heads up. Advice is free. What he does with it, Now that is for him to decide.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I like to wait till one of us is getting ready to ride off and then point out **** like that. Less assumption of ulterior motive that way. Always be honest, tell the guy you don't give a **** about him or his bike but you couldn't keep quiet thinking of the possibility of a sweet baby losing all kinds of skin. Men understand, boys will be boys. Then sleep well... karma is a MF.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by inderocker
This may sound a bit twisted, but it's because of people like that I stay in business. Pretty much every bike we get has a clapped out chain, bald tires, overfilled or underfilled oil, etc... Is maintenance really that hard?
+1
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
There is a good chance that a rusty too tight chain is not his only problem, probably misaligned, underinflated tires and low oil too. So why bother unless you say a bolt missing or nail in tread.

Keep in mind, if it looked too tight even sitting on the side stand then maybe mention something. But carrying a passenger compresses the suspension, and so its going to be at its tightest point and you only need a small amount of slack if nearly a straight line between countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
So many of my good deeds went well-punished that unless disaster is imminent, I just MMOB. Here's hoping that the pillion was geared up.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
If I would have had some chain lube with me I would have offered it to him. Most bikers know everything there is to know about their bike. At least in their own mind. My guess is he would have taken offense to you telling him his bike wasn't in perfect order.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
It was a Freaking Gixxer... C'mon now!!! Now I agree about saying something about the chain cause of the babe ridin on back, but the fact of the matter is that most ppl that ride Gixxers only got one to fit into the crowd. That is why you see so many. I had a old roommate that had one and he rode the crap out of it and didnt take care of it. He couldnt figure out why his ride was falling apart. He only got the Gixxer so he could pick up chicks and Be in the "crowd". As for me I go along the lines of If you take care of you Bike, It will take care of you.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I once told a buddy the axle nut on his Ducati 900SS wasn't even finger tight, but I was about to take it for a test ride. OK, I probably would have told him anyway.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
[quote=cliby;268787]...it looked too tight even sitting on the side stand then maybe mention something...quote]

It was on the sidestand with no one on it. At first I thought that it was a DID or Regina gold chain, then I realized: Oh the horror.