Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Squid

NVDutchie is on a distinguished road
CCT is this a VTR flaw ?

Guys
I noticed allot of you have changed the CCT is this something that
is mandatory ?
I've only had my VTR for a yr. so I'm still finding out what parts are compatible and what are the best upgrades ..
being 6'4" 220 .lbs the suspension has to go or be modified !!
definitely sold on the F4i caliper/mc .
PLUS more !

thanks to your ideas .. I have my work cut out for me this winter
looking forward to it
Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well, some people have gotten many miles and many years on the stock CCTs. Others have had them fail early and bend valves leading to a top end rebuild.

For the cost of $110 and about 4 hours of your time (if you do not know what you are doing.. an hour if you do), it prevents the possibility of a $1100 rebuild.

edit: Bridge_Boy here had a 2002 VTR suffer a CCT failure: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...66&postcount=3

So while it does tend to be the older ones that have the problem more often (pre 2001) the newer ones are not immune.

Last edited by lazn; 10-22-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
If you do a search on the CCT's and/or visit the knowledge base section you will find a ton of information on them.

To answer your question, it's sort of a balancing act of risk vs reward. From what I understand it's not if the CCT's will break it's a matter of when. Honda built them with a part that will inherently fail over time, how long you have prior to failure is completely unknown. Honda says they will last XXX amount of KM however it appears everyone has widely mixed results. The main problem is, when they do finally go it can completely trash your engine!!

Look through the posts on CCT's here as some of the members are selling a better version of what is already in your bike. Also, the knowledge base will walk you through how to replace them.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Damn, lazn beat me to it!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Well, some people have gotten many miles and many years on the stock CCTs. Others have had them fail early and bend valves leading to a top end rebuild.

For the cost of $110 and about 4 hours of your time (if you do not know what you are doing.. an hour if you do), it prevents the possibility of a $1100 rebuild.

edit: Bridge_Boy here had a 2002 VTR suffer a CCT failure: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...66&postcount=3

So while it does tend to be the older ones that have the problem more often (pre 2001) the newer ones are not immune.
Fantastic thanks for the info !!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Grizz
If you do a search on the CCT's and/or visit the knowledge base section you will find a ton of information on them.

To answer your question, it's sort of a balancing act of risk vs reward. From what I understand it's not if the CCT's will break it's a matter of when. Honda built them with a part that will inherently fail over time, how long you have prior to failure is completely unknown. Honda says they will last XXX amount of KM however it appears everyone has widely mixed results. The main problem is, when they do finally go it can completely trash your engine!!

Look through the posts on CCT's here as some of the members are selling a better version of what is already in your bike. Also, the knowledge base will walk you through how to replace them.
Thanks Grizz
I will check it out later ..
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
short answer yes, but not just VTR, CBR's are known for this as well, and tons of CBR guys have changed to APE.

its a part that wears out, just like a timing belt on cars, only problem is that it fails all over the place not at a certain time interval. and you know its an issue when Honda releases and updated modified tensioner that is supposed to fix the problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
short answer yes, but not just VTR, CBR's are known for this as well, and tons of CBR guys have changed to APE.
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740

And Busa guys, and DRZ guys and ZX guys....there is no service interval for them on the SH... it was made for "the life of the motor" if you want to extend that life, pick a service point based on your research and replace the ACCT.. or change to an MCCT and never worry about it at all... And don't worry about the manual part... most riders will never need to adjust them once set, unless the chain was already worn or stretched, the motor is damaged or rebuilt or your one of those that puts huge amounts of miles on a bike..
Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
After losing sleep over the Superhawk I relented and replaced the CCT to APE's only to lose my beloved Prelude to the same ****. It's not just a Honda problem but the failure rate at a predictable mileage can be extracted from a senior Honda mechanic as long as Obama is not present. Hindsight for my Prelude was 60-80k miles.

The second bike I bought was the VFR with gear driven cams. It sounds like a sewing machine but it runs like a lathe.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I've gone about 56,000 miles on my '98 VTR and never had a problem with the cam chains.

I'm currently waiting on back-ordered proper size shims to adjust the valve clearances and since it's apart I will replace the front and rear cylinder CCT lifters with new ones as a preventative measure. Not expensive, only about $60 each.

Reading the information on the APE website, seems the cams chains are prone to slip off the cam sprockets if you are rev-ving the crap out of the engine then quickly let off on the throttle.