General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

cct took a crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Squid

tromo01 is on a distinguished road
cct took a crap

my rear cct went out yesterday after abou 4 hours of doing other work on the hawk..we just got it back together and was listening to her run to decide if it was the cct going bad then it sounded like some **** blew up in there...riped the rear head apart today and everything looks fine, im taking the head to a dealer to look it over....anyone have any advice on what i should replace(besides the cct's)..im just trying to get a heads up before the dealer rapes me....also how can i reset the timing..

Last edited by tromo01; 02-22-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: info
Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
that sucks.
i should get ccts.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
^^i'm going to agree with this man
Old 02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Along with what Tromo said, does anyone have a picture of the rear cylinder at TDC and the cam cover off showing the position of the exhaust and intake cams?

It looks like the failure was caught in the nick of time and it seems that the chain only jumped when the rear CCT failed. As Tromo said we pulled the head and there appears to be no damage to the piston or valves.

I read through the threads about CCT failures before Tromo and myself dug into the bike. So any pictures or information about positioning the cams/cam sprockets would be much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
My CCT was going out and the rear intake jumped one tooth. When I got it lined up to check there was slack in the cam chain. Put the tensioner tool in and the CCT jumped into tension. I replaced both, just in the nick of time evidently. I had been hearing a pretty loud slapping noise at startup sometimes. I guess the chain was slapping.

The RE and RI lines have to line up with the head when you're aligned at RT on the flywheel and the rear cylinder is TDC. I don't remember if the lobes are facing up and away, or up and in at that point. But the way it's built with the cam sprocket holes 180 degrees apart I don't think you can get it wrong without the lobe trying to open the valve. Do you have the manual?

Last edited by HondaJim; 02-22-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

Got the manual, but I want to be absolutely sure and clear about setting the cam sprockets and chain so we do not have to pull it all apart realizing a mistake was made.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by reaper
Along with what Tromo said, does anyone have a picture of the rear cylinder at TDC and the cam cover off showing the position of the exhaust and intake cams?

It looks like the failure was caught in the nick of time and it seems that the chain only jumped when the rear CCT failed. As Tromo said we pulled the head and there appears to be no damage to the piston or valves.

I read through the threads about CCT failures before Tromo and myself dug into the bike. So any pictures or information about positioning the cams/cam sprockets would be much appreciated.
I have been meaning to put the new walk through up, Im glad we took tons of pics. I think this is the pic you are looking for, this is the correct position you want the rear lobes to be at when at dead center when installing the rear cct.
Attached Thumbnails cct took a crap-image001.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

Yruyur that is exactly what we need for a visual.

Many thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
What year and how many miles were on it?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
What year and how many miles were on it?
If you are trying to figure out when you need them.. that isn't reliable.. They have gone as early as 8000 miles, and some people have over 50k on their stockers.. For peace of mind, just spend the $85 and get a set from Truckinduc
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Squid

its an 01 with 28k, if you even think they might be going out change them asap.. after taking the head to the dealer i found out that i did bend the rear ex valves, so 2 ex valves, guides, seals, cam chain, and a couple gaskets later im up to 600 bucks, and thats without the new ccts...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by tromo01
if you own a VTR change them asap..
There fixed for you
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
lol I feel like I should go buy a set now and my Hawk only has 3300 miles on it, And for lack of being mechanically inclined on a motorcycle I'm going to have the local honda shop put them on.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by usmc7051
lol I feel like I should go buy a set now and my Hawk only has 3300 miles on it, And for lack of being mechanically inclined on a motorcycle I'm going to have the local honda shop put them on.
It is actually pretty easy. Yruyur and I made an evening of it and did both our bikes at once a few months ago.. We did take lots of pictures for a write up, but haven't gotten that uploaded yet..
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
There fixed for you
Agreed, for me waiting turned a $100 project into a $1000 project. Not that I'm even done since we got snowed in here before I finished in fall.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tromo01
my rear cct went out yesterday after abou 4 hours of doing other work on the hawk..we just got it back together and was listening to her run to decide if it was the cct going bad then it sounded like some **** blew up in there...riped the rear head apart today and everything looks fine, im taking the head to a dealer to look it over....anyone have any advice on what i should replace(besides the cct's)..im just trying to get a heads up before the dealer rapes me....also how can i reset the timing..

Do a search, (cct failure, etc) and read all that there is to know about it. Plenty of good info here. At the dealer, your gonna pay more for labor than parts. It set me back a few hundred and I did all the labor my self minus the cutting of the valve seats. It's not hard if you take your time and have the manual open for reference.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
If you are trying to figure out when you need them.. that isn't reliable.. They have gone as early as 8000 miles, and some people have over 50k on their stockers.. For peace of mind, just spend the $85 and get a set from Truckinduc
I'm on the list....jeez
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Squid

pzurek18 is on a distinguished road
Ya im planning on buying come CCT's really soon but if you guys can please make a sticky thread with lots of pictures and step by step hwo to remove and install them that would be great. I just wanna make sure that I install it perfectly guys!!

Thanks again,
Pawel
Old 02-24-2009, 05:42 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Shiat... take the front plug out, put your finger in the hole, rotate engine couterclockwise until you feel compression, check for FT mark on the flywheel, pass it by 3/4 of a turn to RT, align the mark perfectly, then set your cams sprockets like this
Name:  DSCN9647web.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  91.6 KB

The RI mark should align with the top of the case on the intake cam, same goes for the RE mark on the opposite side toward the rear
Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Squid

thanks gboezio thats exactly what i needed to hear...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
np prob, make 2 or more full engine turns when you're done to make sure the valves clear the pistons before using the starter, then if you made a mistake it will just consume some time, not money
Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gboezio
np prob, make 2 or more full engine turns when you're done to make sure the valves clear the pistons before using the starter, then if you made a mistake it will just consume some time, not money
This is advice that can save a TON of heartache!