General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Carb Mixture thumb screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

seb421 is on a distinguished road
Question Carb Mixture thumb screw

Any one know if you can get a thumb screw for the mixture screw? would be nice to make little adjustments with out having to whip them off every time
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

Any one?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Not sure exactly what you mean by thumb screw, there is a guy on flea bay that sells a small tool for carbs. It's actually for a larger v twin honda cruiser but it's the same D shape and it's about $6.

You can also try to contact Partsman here on the forum, he said he has some but I haven't seen him on here lately.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I think the problem is fitting your hands in there to turn the tool. Esp when it's hot. I think that's why most people seem to slot the screws and then use a Motion Pro Tool like this one.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-22-2012, 07:33 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

thanks got my self one of these

Sealey - Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool - MS013: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Sealey - Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool - MS013: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
is that the d-shaped tool.
on the hawk carbs,the screw is d-shaped,you might have to slot the mixture screw in order to use that tool.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

Originally Posted by saige
is that the d-shaped tool.
on the hawk carbs,the screw is d-shaped,you might have to slot the mixture screw in order to use that tool.
On the Carbs in England our looks like this we don't have the D issue? don't know why they did that with yours

Name:  IMAG0674.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0652.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  133.7 KB

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ictures-28835/
Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seb421
On the Carbs in England our looks like this we don't have the D issue? don't know why they did that with yours

what,for real,for the love of god,thats just not fair,can i order just the mixture screws from your parts,if so,what is the cheapest local to you web site i could get it from.
i want to order some spares anyway,so this would be a good way to go,unless its too much ofcourse.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
They are available for Keihin dirt bike carbs, but i've never been able to find out if they would work on ours. Just Google search Keihin mixture screw to see them.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ascothawk
They are available for Keihin dirt bike carbs, but i've never been able to find out if they would work on ours. Just Google search Keihin mixture screw to see them.

Great if you have FCR carbs on your Superhawk, otherwise they won't work.

BTW, Motion Pro made the bits available to order separate finally for their 90 degree carb tool, for $3.15 ea. I think Tucker Rocky was the only one I could find that had them in their catalogs so I ordered 2 after snapping my Factory Pro tool on another bike with a seized d-shaped mixture screw. I ended up putting it in a socket that I used with a t-handle, but could use it with a small socket wrench and it's much thicker than the FP tool that they supply in their kits and sell separately....
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0242/

Last edited by Sawzall86; 07-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you get a chance to try out that tool yet? I have a similar tool that Honda sells, and it seems a little too bulky to reach the front carb pilot screw.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:07 AM
ukbiker.me
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Did you get a chance to try out that tool yet? I have a similar tool that Honda sells, and it seems a little too bulky to reach the front carb pilot screw.
Got it in post yesterday, will report back soon mate
Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I know I'm a few months late with this thread, but have recently been
reading a few posts concerning this subject.
Swazall has posted a link with the MotionPro D shaped tool. I deal
with motion pro, and can probably get my hands on one of these.

It's the X-mas vacation, and will not be in the office before a few weeks,
so will be looking into this in January. If indeed, I can get my hands on one, I will test, and report back if anyone interested.

Merry Christmas
Feliz Navidad
Joyeux Noël
Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I bought a Motion Pro tool (had been led to believe it had the D-shaped tip, only to find it had a flat head screw tip). So, I picked up one of the small hand adjusters on eBay and, a bit of grinding and epoxying later, converted it to a D-tip. Now, back to the question at hand, you can get at the front carb but it takes practice and it's a bit tricky to know exactly when it's on properly. It's not a lost cause but it's not a walk in the park either.

I will be slotting the screws in the future and getting another MP tool. That won't ease the access but it will make it easier to see when it's on properly (with an extendible mirror). Some form of thumb screw certainly would be nice......
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road

I would bet there are a few on this forum that would order that part if they can get it. If not, perhaps you can manage it and send them on for a fee.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

I would bet the reason that screw is D shaped in the US is to discourage tampering due to emission standards.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I bought a Motion Pro tool (had been led to believe it had the D-shaped tip, only to find it had a flat head screw tip).
Don't get confused between the two types Motion Pro make. They do the cheaper one, which is the same as many other manufactures either make or have copied. They then make a more expensive one, which I purchased as it is better designed for narrow spaces and has a more accurate means to counting the turns/increments.
Name:  photo_08_0229b.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  53.2 KB
It comes with various attachments including the D type for the US and other models that have stricter emissions controls.
Name:  950-478c.gif
Views: 1191
Size:  13.3 KB
As you can see the end is more shallow than the other type and has an open gear, I guess to save space and also I believe they are replaceable. Note the attachments are shorter than the norm also.
Name:  950-478b.gif
Views: 1183
Size:  23.5 KB
It's has also got a nice chunky, solid, and well built handle with markings on for counting your turns. This is kind of a clicky type movement via a grub screw in the side.
Name:  950-478a.gif
Views: 1463
Size:  16.2 KB
It steps/clicks in 1/6th increments. If you don't want the clicky steps, then the grub screw can be loosened off.

It's the best 90 degree screwdriver I have found so far, but still not perfect for the purpose in the case of the VTR. Accessing the carbs from the right hand side, the front fuel screw is easy, no problems at all. Though I am careful as to where I have the screw part on the carb rubber clips positioned.
The rear carb is another story. Yet again accessing the carbs from the right hand side, (the left is worse) I find the carb heater/water hose that cross's diagonally from the rear carb to front carb gets in my way, so I need to angle the screwdriver which does not help with getting the bit square on, so it slips off. Also the bottom of the screwdriver rests against the top of the the heater hose on the geared wheel, so this makes it more difficult to turn the handle. I can just about manage it, but it's tedious.

I think for you guys it will be even more tricky as you have the PLVR to contend with.

IMO thumbscrews are the way to go unless it's too hot to get in and turn them. Honda should have designed this better considering the importance of the fine tuning by ear/feel. Otherwise it's trial and error and a case of taking the carbs off and adjusting a bit at a time.

(:-})

Last edited by cybercarl; 12-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Superstock

I would bet there are a few on this forum that would order that part if they can get it.
No 6 on the following:
Part Number PFKL319991
Honda Motorcycle Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

I'm suprised you guys are not already buying these instead of getting the dremel out. But even with these as mentioned previously, it's still a struggle to get in and adjust them.

And yes I believe the D type is designed to be tamper proof for stricter emissions controls.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cybercarl
No 6 on the following:
Part Number PFKL319991
Honda Motorcycle Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

I'm suprised you guys are not already buying these instead of getting the dremel out. But even with these as mentioned previously, it's still a struggle to get in and adjust them.

And yes I believe the D type is designed to be tamper proof for stricter emissions controls.

the dremel is so easy it's not worth ordering anything.

This might be better it it would work.

CARBURETOR - FUEL SCREWS - Zip-Ty Racing Products
Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That would be great, if you could get your fingers in there to adjust it. I just checked an extra OEM pilot screw that I've got in my tool box, and the taper tip on it is about twice as long as the tip on the knurled **** screw in the illustration.

But it is a great idea for a bike with more accessible carbs.
Just think if one of our enterprising members like the ones who have fabricated great mods for our superhawks would step up and make something similar that would enable us to adjust the fuel screw accord to the weather and elevation. Stop along the side of the road, turn the screws a smidge and keep on gittin it. Makin my tongue hard just thinkin about it!

It would probably take a screw with tool-like apparatus attached that would enable access, but wouldn't vibrate out of position during operation. I'll make a couple tonite and let you try em out.haha

Last edited by nath981; 12-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Squid

VeeTR is on a distinguished road
May well be worth buying 2 Honda parts and doing some clever brazing
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

Hot Dam!!! I said knurled k n o b, and I got 4 asterisks. These guys are strict! I suppose I can't call President Nixon by his first name either. It's Dick, by the way.

And who would want their k n o b knurled anyway? Ouch!
Try loggin in lazy. That's only for those non-members viewing and they certainly don't need to know about your knurled ****. I think you better slow down on the cocktails there sparky or you won't be able to put the gifts under the tree tonite.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 AM
MotoGP

HaHa! I guess I'm just a dumb ***. I had never noticed that since it started a couple of months ago. So only us active members get to have our ears burned. The mods should post a glossary of censored words... it could easily run into the hundreds.

Merry Christmas!
what do you me you guess you're a dumb ***?

merry to you guys too
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
SuperSport

I'm thinking there must be a way to attach a flexible extension of some kind to that damn screw. I bet the more fertile minds here on this forum will think of something. There HAS to be a better way to do this! BTW, I found this in my surfing tools, http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/mp_08_0242.html

Wonder if it would fit?

Last edited by twist; 12-25-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Squid

VeeTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
I'm thinking there must be a way to attach a flexible extension of some kind to that damn screw. I bet the more fertile minds here on this forum will think of something. There HAS to be a better way to do this! BTW, I found this in my surfing tools, Motion Pro Bit D shaped for use with 08-0229 90 degree tool (SKU 08-0242)

Wonder if it would fit?
I may just attempt the brazing route,I think it should be possible to make something work
Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by twist
I'm thinking there must be a way to attach a flexible extension of some kind to that damn screw. I bet the more fertile minds here on this forum will think of something. There HAS to be a better way to do this! BTW, I found this in my surfing tools, Motion Pro Bit D shaped for use with 08-0229 90 degree tool (SKU 08-0242)

Wonder if it would fit?
yeah, that's the one for the tool pictured above in post 18 cybercarl. Now get $70 out and get you one. I opted for the peon $20 model cause smokin joes has one and said it works, and i believe him.

Originally Posted by VeeTR
I may just attempt the brazing route,I think it should be possible to make something work
go for it. If i had the mechanical know how, and if I had a brain, two big ifs i know ha, I'd do it myself. This could be a boon for anyone with contemptous carbs like ours. If it were merely a matter of stopping and adjusting the fuel screw in a minute or two, many more riders would learn that it is worth doing to keep their bikes running better and with better fuel economy. so, get her done!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Superstock

Thumbs up

yeah, that's the one for the tool pictured above in post 18 cybercarl. Now get $70 out and get you one.
Don't be silly. it's not $70 for the bit. LOL $70 for the whole kit.

That jets r us is a good link, but if you look on motion pro's site they also sell the bits individually, including the D adapter. You will also notice the Motion pro ones are about half the depth.

I like the flexible shaft idea. I'm sort of visualising something like a choke cable, but instead of a plunger, it has a mixture screw on the end. Then the other end could have a knulred **** like the idle adjuster. Imagine a couple of them mounted conveniently on the frame next to the choke or something.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It's all possible, they make them for FCRs

With the numerous extended mixture screws that currently exist, there must be one that would fit (which one, however, I have been unable to find any info about the one used on the VTR carb).....
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Superstock

Interesting!, nice one Mik, I've not seen them before. Is that from the snow-mobile market? It would be like having a Flo-Commander for the mixture.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cybercarl
Don't be silly. it's not $70 for the bit. LOL $70 for the whole kit.

That jets r us is a good link, but if you look on motion pro's site they also sell the bits individually, including the D adapter. You will also notice the Motion pro ones are about half the depth.
oh ho ho silly silly.......no **** Dick tracey!

the D socket is only a couple $ and the whole kit it probably $80+shipped.

the D socket on jetsrus is the motion pro brand, so are you saying that motion pro sells different length D sockets with diff parts #s? Strange.

Quick Reply: Carb Mixture thumb screw