General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buying a bike for a friend. Need help on price offer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Buying a bike for a friend. Need help on price offer

Hey guys I'm looking to buy a CBR 96 F3. It have 46k on it the guy want 1600 for it but the thing is the bike need new head gasket. I never replace a head gasket before and was wondering if you guys have any experience on it and how much it cost? I want to ask you guys cause i don't want to pay 1600 on it and have to put out 1000 to fix the gasket. Its a birthday present. I'm not rich in any way thats why i'm looking at a f3. Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I think you could find a motorcycle in better shape for that money. There are some decent bikes around my area for about that much, and it's the middle of the season. Personally I wouldn't mess with it. Let the owner fix it and work the repair costs into the asking price.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Look for something else.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'd also have to say find another bike, especially if you're not comfortable doing the work. I see good bikes all the time around me for that price that don't need that kind of work. With a blown head gasket and 46k miles I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's probably not much of a looker either? Unless you get a bike like that for free it's really not worth it. Go on craigslist near you and search for bikes under 2k and I'm sure you'll find a small list to go look at that would be better choices.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
sounds like a dog rough bike tbh

you can get a well nice bike for your budget that needs no work
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with the others. From personal experience, take the time to find something that's taken less of a beating. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
A few recent examples...I just sold an '89 vulcan 750 I bought off craigslist for $800. After a really good detailing, an o-ring in each carb to cure a vacuum leak, and a pair of old kz brake rotors to get rid of a braking vibration, and a few other little odds and ends, I had a sweet bike on the cheap that also hauled *** for a cruiser. Around 20k miles, no leaks, no b.s. Just a great bike.

And I bought a crashed superhawk off here awhile back. College kid didn't know what to do with it-20k mile 99, clean title, new michelins, new 520 chain and sprocket kit, and still ran fine. Paid 1k, hauled it home, sold all the busted bodywork, cleaned up the jardines and sold them, sold the hugger, and put on a used pair of vfr rotors (the only mechanical thing it actually needed). Now I had a perfect running superhawk with a clean title for around $350. I now have all the bodywork and just need to have the tail and side fairings painted to match and I'll have a very nice bike for around 1k, that's also worth around 3k. The deals are out there you just have look. I get all pumped up too when I see a project and no one loves dragging 'em home more than me but just keep in mind there are lots out there and sometimes you can save yourself a headache by walking away and waiting for a better deal.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for the help. I have not look at the bike yet i will this monday and will update you guys on it. It sound like i'ma offer the guy around 800-1000 or less depending on the body shape. I look up the f3 engine and i am sure i can do the gasket myself (thinking about doing engine swap lol up the CC) I think 46k bike is not worth 1600 i want to comfirm with other riders, I'm still with my first bike -the hawk , love it.. I am also looking at a GSXR offering the guy 2000 for it ( some fairing damage which some sanding and fiberglass and bondo would fix). So thanks alot guys for giving me suggestions. Will put in some thoughts before commiting. :-) I will look on craiglist some more see if i can find a better one :-)