General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buying advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Squid

adriana is on a distinguished road
Buying advice...

Hello!

I've been looking at picking up a used SH (as an only bike, for fun basically) and thought I'd come to the best place to get advice

The caveat here is about how long the engine on these bikes will last? There's an very affordable SH being privately sold locally which looks quite nice - the internet ad does anyway - but it has 45k!

I'm not mechanically inclined beyond really simple maintenance (oil, chain - you get the idea) so that makes the bike - with carbs, age, and miles - a bit daunting. So tinkering and wrenching aren't exactly my thing as I much prefer a turn-key bike (or very close to that!)

I do love v-twin sportbikes although I've mostly owned & ridden 600 i4's (last 10-15 years).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings

A tad high milage so might need tinkering but the engines are strong old lumps if serviced as per spec - my '97 bought at 6K has 55K and is going on strong after more than a decade. Make sure the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCTs) are converted to manuals and the Rectifier/Regulator (R/R) is upgraded to a later finned one, and you should be okay for many miles if all the running gear is kept maintained.

See the workshop section for what needs addressing, and download the Honda Service Manual PDF, and use the wonderful search facility to continue researching this much under rated beast.

Google

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-advice-27837/

Last edited by Wicky; 07-13-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Adrianna,

There are many members here that have 60K+ and a few with 90+. The SH is a low compression understressed engine that will happily run for many miles with the already mentioned upgrades, although I know at least 2 high mileage owners that are still usung the automatic cam chain tensioners. My own SH stillhas them with 34K though I am replacing them with manual CCT's as we speak, R/R too. Just keep the front wheel on the ground and the shiny side up and you'll be fine!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by adriana
Hello!

I've been looking at picking up a used SH (as an only bike, for fun basically) and thought I'd come to the best place to get advice

The caveat here is about how long the engine on these bikes will last? There's an very affordable SH being privately sold locally which looks quite nice - the internet ad does anyway - but it has 45k!

I'm not mechanically inclined beyond really simple maintenance (oil, chain - you get the idea) so that makes the bike - with carbs, age, and miles - a bit daunting. So tinkering and wrenching aren't exactly my thing as I much prefer a turn-key bike (or very close to that!)

I do love v-twin sportbikes although I've mostly owned & ridden 600 i4's (last 10-15 years).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Two things, where are you located. I ask because you might be able to find a member close to your location that might offer to check the bike out for you.

Second 45K is nothing to worry about, I'm one of the guys with 90K on mine and it is still running strong.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
IMO mileage is an advantage on these bikes. Scares the price down, and the motor doesn't really have any known major wear issues. Things like fork oil, brake lines and bearings may need replacing, but those are not too hard to service and can be handled one at a time. If the bike looks in good shape, it probably is!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Two things, where are you located.
+1
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Squid

Hello & I was pleasantly surprised to see the responses, thank you.

As for location, I'm in tampa bay (florida) if that helps?

Regarding the CCT & R/R - mind you, I know what these items are and their basic function. Now changing them on the other hand, is probably beyond my aptitude and would be shop work I'd have to pay for.

There are several bikes in question - among them the aforementioned 45k example by a private party. I'd list them or link the ads but from my experience in most forums, that's a 'no-no'.

Keep the front wheel down? Oh but half the fun is doing precisely the opposite!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by adriana
Hello & I was pleasantly surprised to see the responses, thank you.

As for location, I'm in tampa bay (florida) if that helps?

I think we have some forum members near there. I for one was out there the end of last month for 10 days. Maybe one of those guys could look over your purchase and offer advice.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
im not far from you at all,im in st.pete,fl.there is a couple of us around here.which ads did you see.i have seen some of them.i can help you on your search and if you ever need help working on the bike.that wont be a problem.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
the boss
SuperBike

you can post the links up and such,its all good.we will try and help the best we can.trust me,you found a good spot to be
Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Banned
MotoGP

I'm on the wrong coast to help but as saige has already stepped up, take him or one of the other members (if they offer) up on checking the bike out for you.

It can really help with knowing what shape the bike is in and what it is really worth.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Squid

85 - Oh absolutely, no need to convince me as I'm certain my knowledge of inspecting a used bike pales in comparison to what you all know. Doubly so as I'm not familiar with this bike and have never actually even sat on one.

Saige - if you say it's cool to post ads then ok, here goes:

1998 Honda Super Hawk (VTR1000) Red and Ready

The ad doesn't mention it but I communicated with the owner & the bike has 45k. I don't recall if the oft-mentioned CCT & r/r have been upgraded. I perceive that the owner is a 'fix and flip' sort of guy who is just turning the bike over for profit.

1998 Honda VTR 1000

This one is actually around melbourne and the bike has far less miles (~7-8k). I texted with the owner and he said the bike is in pretty good shape but will likely need a new clutch in "5000 miles or so" (his description).

There are a few others but mostly at dealerships:

2002 Honda Super Hawk 996

That's at a strictly used-bike dealer (makes me dubious!) and while it's only carrying 5k miles and a few years newer, it is far more expensive than the private party sales.

Thanks for offering your expertise - i'm actually in pinellas.

Last edited by adriana; 07-18-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM
SuperBike

The first one states they had the cam chains replaced, would make me wonder why. Perhaps he meant tensioners, I would ask. The price and color are good.

The second priced right but blue is notoriousl slow, slower than yellow even.

The last is overpriced and he'll be sitting on it a long time I think. Note they all appear to have auto cam chain tensioners from what I could see.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The red '98 is largely unmodified, save for the minor exhaust work. It has stock signals.

The blue '98 should be red. It has either been painted, or it has the body parts from a 2003 model. This one also has frame sliders and aftermarket signal lights, and looks like a clear tail light. If the clutch is in need of replacement soon then I would question the low mileage on the odometer. But, a bad clutch is unusual even for some higher mileage VTRs. The speedometer unit may have been changed. Judging by these things, this bike may have been wrecked. Ask how long he has owned it and look at the mileage on the title and also look at the title issue date to make a determination.

The red '02 has been modified with an expensive aftermarket exhaust system. This alone makes up the difference in price. It also seems to have an under tail integrator kit and aftermarket front signals.

Bang for buck, I would go after the '02 if you have the funds. If the blue one does really have actual mileage then it might be a good choice since it will be very unique.

Red is faster than yellow and blue combined.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1

The second priced right but blue is notoriously slow, slower than yellow even.

lol.

I'd say the blue one is a done deal. ****** it up, ask Saige to help with the Manual CCT, and ride it.

My .02c
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Squid

LOL - I was sooo thinking the same....the 2nd looks good except for the obvious blue paint! I'm a long, long time red bike owner first and foremost (couple of honda's in my past).

I really don't want a rebuilt title (re: 2nd one being wrecked). Should check with the owner on that point.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I too would go for '02 - but I'm basis

Anyway, as stated full exhaust, low miles & everyone knows red is the fastest color!

I'm guessing U have cash in hand - go there w/ Saige & flash $3k, they'd be stupid to let U walk.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned
MotoGP

My only comment is the '02 doesn't have a "full exhaust" but a set of slip ons. Not that it matters a whole lot, just pointing it out.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Good eye Hawk.

Yea I'm not sure about the full exhaust claim either. That header appears to be stock, but the color of the front head pipe does look very light in color. It could just be the lighting conditions. If it were a full system the header would be a commodity.

Did Scorpion ever make a full system?

Slip-on pipes alone would not make the deal so sweet. Get the blue bike and swap body parts with another SuperHawk owner who has the faster color.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
Two things, where are you located. I ask because you might be able to find a member close to your location that might offer to check the bike out for you.

Second 45K is nothing to worry about, I'm one of the guys with 90K on mine and it is still running strong.
90k club member #2 right here, and I'm in FL as well.

Originally Posted by saige
im not far from you at all,im in st.pete,fl.there is a couple of us around here.which ads did you see.i have seen some of them.i can help you on your search and if you ever need help working on the bike.that wont be a problem.
Saige is a good guy to know and I've only bought a headlight from him, lol. I travel up to QSL every so often, so that should say something about traveling with this amount of mileage. I've only recently upgraded a few things and repaired/replaced others needing attention, but otherwise I'm fairly stock.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Squid

Hi, thanks for all your observations and comments. Appreciate getting opinions from people who know these bikes inside & out.

I dug through my notes and found a few relevant items.

Bike #1 (45k, "private party", red)...the seller is definitely a bike flipper. He said he and his buddy (a mechanic) buy/fix/sell bikes all the time. Guessing the guy finds and buys bikes at auctions or from private sellers where the bike isn't running...then the buddy gets it running...and voila, bike is for sale.

I'm assuming this means there's little or no real information on the bike's history, how it was maintained - only obvious thing is it has been ridden...lots.

Bike #2 (7k, private party, blue)...Seller is not the original owner. I'll paraphrase his comments: 'Bike has scratches & a 2" crack from where it looks like it slid on right-side upper plastics. No sign of frame damage, just plastic. Mechanically the bike is functionally and runs great. Bike will probably need clutch plates in the next 5k miles. All gears engage fine now and it's 100% rideable as is. Clutch is starting to feel soft & i like to be upfront about everything"

I've never needed to replace a clutch on a bike and have put well in excess of 7k miles on past bikes. Yet the owner of bike 2 suggests clutch plates are needed despite the low miles on the bike. As BH pointed out - that just sounds strange....have they just been pulling in the clutch while riding around town? Repeated dragstrip launches? I mean that'll kill a clutch fast, but otherwise, it sounds odd.

As for Bike # 3 and what to pay...mind you, they want $4k and it's at a stealership where they'd tack on a ton of BS charges. I would be OK paying 3k for it cash, but I'm thinking with all the bogus charges, that the $4k they are asking is really $4500....getting them to $3k? I dunno. That's about the top end of my budget here.

Last edited by adriana; 07-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned
MotoGP

The clutch thing is a big red flag. The clutches on these bikes are almost bullet proof.

To give you an example, I had the clutch cover off of mine with around 80K miles on my bike (which I bought new, so yes I know its history) and figured that since I had the cover off I would replace the friction disks, just because.

When I pulled the clutch apart and checked, they were still at 80% of new.
So I put them back in and replaced the clutch springs and now with 90K or so on the bike it is still working perfectly.

Though the problem on the bike listed could be as simple as the slave cylinder is gummed up and needs to be disassembled and cleaned.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I doubt the clutch is done on the second bike. Probably just needs the clutch master bled, cleaned/ adjusted.

Does seem a little fishy though. If you're not too mechanically inclined, you might want to stay away.

Make an offer on the other ones, and don't be afraid to walk away... there'll be another deal.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM
the boss
SuperBike

wow,im gone for a minute and all this happens lol
well,theres not much more i can say,everything is on point with opinions and such.

the clutch on bike 2 is a fishy thing.but it could be just needing good cleaning.on my bike when i bought it,it was kinda fishy with the clutch too.it didnt seem right,i cleaned everything out and put in the proper oil,after that,it got alot better,mine seemed to turn out fine,this may be the same thing.
are you able to get more detailed pics of that bike.

here is one i found,looks to be more stock than anything,but this might be up your alley.
1998 Honda Superhawk 996

and if you are in pinellas,that makes things oretty easy if needing hepl working on it.im off 66st and 118th ave.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
SuperBike

That one looks pretty clean but can't tell alot with only one pic. I think you might want to take a look. Geez 4 to chose from, here in SoCal you're lucky to see 2 at any given time.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
the boss
SuperBike

There's some more in orlando.their is a lot more than i thought.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Squid

Hello! Saige, thanks for the pm and the linkes, definitely plenty of bikes to consider.

I've never bought a bike out-of-town (e.g, 2-3+ hours away)...how do you all usually get them "home"? I mean presumably you'd have no tag.

From a 'kicking tires' perspective....Is there an obvious way to detect the following:

valve noise/chatter?
bad or original CCT?
original Rectifier?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM
the boss
SuperBike

These bikes do have there own sound and run,I could bring mine over to you and you could hear it,some people get worried when they hear it,because it will sound funny to you if you not ise to The vtwin sound,and i could show you what to and where to look for stuff.
Buying a bike from out of town ain't bad,just takes some talking to the owner to get a feel for what you are getting.
The one in sarasota looks promising,and one or to in orlando.
Let me know what you think.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned
MotoGP

This is very true.... VTR's do make noises that can make a new owner nervous until they get used to them...
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
This is very true.... VTR's do make noises that can make a new owner nervous until they get used to them...
Or to put it plain and simple... They shake, shimmy, rattle and rumble... And usually the better they run, the more people think they sound odd...

Quick Reply: Buying advice...