General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newb needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Squid

kabulpostie is on a distinguished road
Newb needing advice

Hello All,
I've been lurking for a while and decided to join and post. This might be a long one so apologies in advance. I have been on a break from riding for 7 or 8 years after being rear ended on my CBR 600, got away with some bruising and as I was a starving student at the time who really couldn't afford payments and insurance I decided to take that as a sign and bowed out of the cycling scene. Fast forward to modern times. My brother picked up an old Ducati Monster and has had a blast making it his own. I finally got to hear it this winter and my pulse started racing and maybe even a little drool leaked out. Love the way the monster looks and sounds, but...not a big fan of maintenance intensive Italian stuff. Hearing his bike made me think of the first time I heard a Superhawk, probably around 2002? up around Chuckanut drive in Bellingham, WA, NW riders should be familiar. I hears that V twin sound and was in love.
Skipping the rest of my biography I am working in Afghanistan (Not a service member anymore) and have been spending way too much time on bike threads and am pretty sure I am ready to make a impulse buy I may regret. I found a 2004 Black SH with 3,161 mile on it for $4700. This seems like a great deal to me. I am going to have my brother call in the morning and get specifics..has it ever been down etc. But a HONDA with 3K seems like it would be better than new...Anyone want to talk me out of this ( Not the irrational buying a bike you have never sat on, heard or seen part) seemingly great deal?
Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
Cameron
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
You won't find any help here trying to talk you out of it but we're all a little crazy anyway. Stay safe, keep your head down and make it home to ride.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
$4,700 for a SH had better come with Ohlins suspension. I'm assuming from a dealer?

Low mileage is great, but this bike can go 50k miles easily. What I'm saying is to me it sounds a little overpriced... It's a buyer's market with motorcycles. That all being said, if it's that one or no superhawk for you, I won't say another word! Just be sure you change all the fluids because at 400 miles a year that thing has spent some time sitting!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Squid

I was finally able to look on KBB and the value for an "excellent" 2004 is A shade over 4k. Here is the link to the bike 2004 Honda Super Hawk Vtr1000f, Big Bend WI - 99286884 - Cycletrader.com
As you can see it is from a dealer so I imagine that price is inflated. I figure I should be able to pay right around that since it is 8 years old and not a real popular model. I'm going to have my brother do the legwork for me, probably a good idea as he doesn't have a dog in the fight and won't be emotional about it.
Thanks for the extra smack in the head, I won't even be home until August so there are plenty of deals out there, a fast red one would be nice, bit I'll settle for a near new black one
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Use the fact that these bikes aren't well known and that they will have a hard time selling it as leeway to haggle on the price. Check to see if the ccts are manual, the r/r is upgraded, and any other upgrades. I wouldn't pay any more than blue book since those prices are high anyways.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Quite frankly IMHO, sit on this one. You got plenty of time till august as you say, an another deal will pop up for a better value...an looking for your new baby is half the fun!
Welcome to the site!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
Quite frankly IMHO, sit on this one. You got plenty of time till august as you say, an another deal will pop up for a better value...an looking for your new baby is half the fun!
Welcome to the site!
Agreed all the way around.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I agree with what's been said above. That's a little high on price unless there are quite a few mods. Patients Daniel San.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Squid

woodsrider1 is on a distinguished road
I'm headed to Afg. in two weeks. Gonna be hard to part ways with my Superhawk for so long. Riding her almost every day to try to make up for the time I'll be gone. I agree that you should be patient since you wont be back till August. There will be some good deals out there to shop around. So take your time, and find a good one.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Squid

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I figure I'll make a low offer and if they want to give it to me for that I'll take it, if not I'll wait as you all are recommending.
Thanks for the help. Quick question, the bock appears to be bone stock, is that worth a little more since no one has bubba'd it up?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kabulpostie
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I figure I'll make a low offer and if they want to give it to me for that I'll take it, if not I'll wait as you all are recommending.
Thanks for the help. Quick question, the bock appears to be bone stock, is that worth a little more since no one has bubba'd it up?
About 14 months ago I paid $3500 for a bone stock 2002 with 4056 miles on it. I have seen others here get better deals than that. I'd say let this one pass. Good luck and happy trails whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
To some people that's the idea. I'm not sold on it completely, b/c some of the most cared for bikes have mods to them. I know of the top of my head members on here with higher mileage (over 10k) bikes and SEVERAL mods that I would buy in a heartbeat if I were in the market. Like was mentioned, if the CCT has been replaced and the R/R upgraded and brakes swapped, etc, it means someone cared enough for the bike to keep it running well. Usually you can tell these people cause they have really long craigslist adds, haha!

Be wary of people who have only painted their bike and maybe swapped mirrors and grips. I read this as: laid down, needed repair. People don't usually start their mod list with a paint job; $200 with absolutely no performance benefit is a rare purchase unless the bike has already had upgraded suspension/motor/carbs/wheels/brakes/ etc.

Either way, visually looking tells the most in my short and humble experience.

BTW it's not bone stock. That's an aftermarket undertail/rear light assembly
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Except from the upgraded mirror/extenders an the undertail/taillight, it doe's look bone stock, I agree with the guy's, high price for the US market! Maybe low balling will do as was mentioned by aja, not a very popular bike in the states for the wrong reasons I may ad.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 7moore7
To some people that's the idea. I'm not sold on it completely, b/c some of the most cared for bikes have mods to them. I know of the top of my head members on here with higher mileage (over 10k) bikes and SEVERAL mods that I would buy in a heartbeat if I were in the market. Like was mentioned, if the CCT has been replaced and the R/R upgraded and brakes swapped, etc, it means someone cared enough for the bike to keep it running well. Usually you can tell these people cause they have really long craigslist adds, haha!

Be wary of people who have only painted their bike and maybe swapped mirrors and grips. I read this as: laid down, needed repair. People don't usually start their mod list with a paint job; $200 with absolutely no performance benefit is a rare purchase unless the bike has already had upgraded suspension/motor/carbs/wheels/brakes/ etc.

Either way, visually looking tells the most in my short and humble experience.

BTW it's not bone stock. That's an aftermarket undertail/rear light assembly
+1 agreed
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Squid

Never would have caught the under seat light change..guess I have already recouped the price of admission to the forum Thanks. I guess I just have to wrap my head around the fact that you can get such a great bike for such (relatively) low money.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
SuperBike

Never would have caught the under seat light change..guess I have already recouped the price of admission to the forum Thanks. I guess I just have to wrap my head around the fact that you can get such a great bike for such (relatively) low money.
Any time, keep your head low and be safe. Welcome to the forum, it is one of the best I have seen!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Squid

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I've decided to hold off until I get home. As some pointed out there a lot of bikes out there. I'll hold out for one of the fast red ones..or one of the faster blue ones
Thanks again,
Cameron
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
There is a brand new blue one on the Craigslist thread. 305 miles, like new and cheaper than the one you were looking at.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome

Cam

Welcome & Be Safe over there & thanks for your Service!

Yes, wait to U get home. I have a a '02 Hawk w/ some mods, but if U can get one w/ Ohlins or other aftermarket suspension - do it. Its a night & day difference.

I did mine about 4 yrs ago & wish I did it sooner.

I have Racetech Springs upfront & Ohlins rear - Really made a HUGE difference. Best mod I ever made.

Here's my baby

Name:  Rt100WardsboroVt.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  119.3 KB

And remember

Name:  RC51.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Squid

Thanks again all, though I do want to make sure it is clear I am not over here with the military...I see too many trading off that and it's an insult to those who are in uniform. Kind of a button of mine, so I always want to make sure I am not unintentionally mis-representing myself. Wheww now that that's out of the way What is the craigslist thread? Feel dumb for asking, but unless it's regular craigs list or cycle trader I haven't used it.
Thanks for the help once again and the support.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Squid

Forgot to mention, beautiful pic nnJhawk!