General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

bunny hop

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Squid

jmalys is on a distinguished road
bunny hop

This is a wierd question, but does anyone ever bunny hop speed bumps or similar types of speed reduction devices? I ask because they are everywhere around where I live and it is really fun to do, but I wonder if it puts unnecessary strain on the bike from the landing? It is really addictive but I don't want to destroy anything on my bike.

BTW I guess it is not a true bunny hop, but just gas it right before the bump and bike will launch off it. Really, it is a good way to get over those annoying things.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Obviously, it puts stress on your suspension.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
I find usually there are always ways to go around them, or if theres a split, between them. Otherwise I just go slow, after all, thats why they are there....
Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Heh! Imagine that! Speed bumps to reduce speed. Don't tell me you thought they were to speed up.

MSF teaches when overcoming obstacles, apply throttle to lighten the front wheel, then just as the front wheel passes over it, you let off and that will lighten the rear. This minimizes the shock to the rider and/or passenger.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I jump my bike over the bigger bumps sometimes. I can usually get the bike to land on both wheels at the same time for a perfect 2 point landing.

I'm sure that is stressful, but what isn't? I have not broken anything yet and I'm pretty sure as long as you don't hit a speed bump going at a crazy speed everything will be ok.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I can't help but be mean to my bike sometimes.. I almost always get airborne on those little annoying things. Maybe I do the MSF technique one out of five times.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
Talking

Man! I can't wait to take my bike off some sweet jumps! I bet I could get like 2 feet of air!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:42 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Just be aware of your footpegs or rear subframe after each landing.. they may not take teh stress too well and buckle without warning.. then it's going to leave a mark. If you want to do jumps, do it on a real dirt bike, I thought my little wr250f would not get that much air, but appearantly I must not have had much to eat that day:

Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Squid

Hatred is on a distinguished road
If you grab a handful of front brake and arch your back upon your front tire coming into contact with the first object you could do an artful somersault.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Hmmmm, how about a seat bounce speed bump jump
Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Squid

Mick-e is on a distinguished road
We have speed bumbs in the parking lot at my work, and I do it all the time.
I live in San Francisco, and there have been times when I completly forgot I was NOT riding my supermoto, and blasted at the tops of hills only to remember mid air that I'm on the wrong bike. I'm pretty sure I've the bike a full foot off the ground.
Smart - No
Fun - Yes