General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Brake Conversion

Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Smile Brake Conversion

Well, after finally getting all the parts, I started my RC51 front brake conversion last night. Got the SP2 Master cylinder and SP2 calipers ($110 shipped) and the Galfer SS lines ($77.56 shipped) along with the EBC HH pads ($56.76 shipped) plus around $6.00 for red caliper paint and about $7.00 for Dot 4 brake fluid. So around $257 for this change over. After painting the calipers red and allowing them to dry, I began the project last night. Removed the fairing (just to prevent any brake fluid splashing or spilling on it) and them removed all stock parts (MC, calipers, mounts, and lines..obviously). I then installed the SP2 MC, calipers, rounted the lines, attached the mounts ect... Everything went smoothly. Heck, even better than expected. But now the interesting part. I have yet to add any fluid (ran out of time last night). I realize this will probably be the toughest part of the project.
Couple of questions though. The lines I ordered do not have a bleeder at the Master cylinder. Is this a big deal? I read you should start the bleeding process at the MC but mine doesn't have a bleeder?
Anybody ever use the 'Magura Method'?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
You might be better using the Mutol 5.1 fluid. And you can get a bango bleeder from for the master from Spiegler. I put the speed bleeders on but don't think there worth it. JMO
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Wrap teflon tape around the caliper nipple threads and use a mity-vac to pull the fluid through. You'll be done in 5 min. with this method. I use to never wrap the nipples (didn't listen to others advice) and was very surprised at how much of a leak this causes during the bleeding. Keep an eye on the reservoir as the mity-vac will drain it PDQ; especially the tiny clutch reservoir.

Yes, do the clutch while you have the fairing pulled and everything at hand. Pulling the clutch slave nipple to add tape to it while under pressure won't make much of mess, so don't worry about. Spray everything down with brake cleaner when done.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
EBC HH Pads

Originally Posted by DocPigskin17
Well, after finally getting all the parts, I started my RC51 front brake conversion last night. Got the SP2 Master cylinder and SP2 calipers ($110 shipped) and the Galfer SS lines ($77.56 shipped) along with the EBC HH pads ($56.76 shipped) plus around $6.00 for red caliper paint and about $7.00 for Dot 4 brake fluid. So around $257 for this change over. After painting the calipers red and allowing them to dry, I began the project last night. Removed the fairing (just to prevent any brake fluid splashing or spilling on it) and them removed all stock parts (MC, calipers, mounts, and lines..obviously). I then installed the SP2 MC, calipers, rounted the lines, attached the mounts ect... Everything went smoothly. Heck, even better than expected. But now the interesting part. I have yet to add any fluid (ran out of time last night). I realize this will probably be the toughest part of the project.
Couple of questions though. The lines I ordered do not have a bleeder at the Master cylinder. Is this a big deal? I read you should start the bleeding process at the MC but mine doesn't have a bleeder?
Where you get the pads for $57 shipped?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Superstock

+ on the teflon tape it makes a big deferance. Get it in 1/4" wide!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I just cheat and use a micro hose clamp on the Mighty-Vac. I never thought of using Teflon tape... I would have assumed that the brake fluid would eat right thru it/degrade it into goo in no time.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Superstock

You can suck air around the threads. If you get after market bleed nipples from Spiegler they come with a compond on them! Don't know what it is but teflon tape will work OK
Old 07-13-2007, 01:34 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
EBC HH Pads

Originally Posted by DocPigskin17
Where you get the pads for $57 shipped?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Pads...

I got the pads from Ron Ayers ($24.88 per set plus $7.00 S&H = $56.76). Only problem is they take around 10 days to get. So if you don't mind waiting, it is a great price.