Born without the FEAR Gene?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

punkwood2k is on a distinguished road
Born without the FEAR Gene?

I just have to vent..

Some people must be born without the Fear Gene, or have a total lack of self preservation instinct. lol.
In this case, its my little brother. He just wadded up his 3rd BRAND NEW bike, in 3 MONTHS. He highsided his '2009 R6 in the canyons in July. Got the insurance payout, got a '09 R1. That bike lasted about 3 weeks till he Wheelied out of a corner and spun it out. Got that repaired about 2 weeks ago, and he just Looped it doing a stand-up last night. He still has scabs from his first accident.
Every time, he walks away with not much more than roadrash and sore muscles... Lucky bastard, but he must be missing something vital that evolved to say "WHOA".. I just dont know about him.
For the first time in my life, I'm actively hoping that everyone will refuse to insure him.

*rant off*
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
How old is your little brother? If he's still in his teens, the prefrontal cortex area of his brain may not be fully developed. Or he may have damaged and compromised it during one of his past injuries. That area of the brain, right at the forehead, is charged with inhibiting stupid and dangerous behavior.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
sounds like its time for a family intervention, "now hand me the keys... ok here is your new ride a honda ruckus."
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by nekkid
How old is your little brother? If he's still in his teens, the prefrontal cortex area of his brain may not be fully developed. Or he may have damaged and compromised it during one of his past injuries. That area of the brain, right at the forehead, is charged with inhibiting stupid and dangerous behavior.

I wish I could blame it in youthful ignorance.. But he's 28. *sigh*. I dont REMEMBER him getting any head trauma as a child, but I did administer regular beatings while growing up.. Maybe I knocked a wire loose or something.. lol.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
a little off topic but I gotta ask, are you part of Raider Nation?? I'm a Raider fan and your avatar caught my attention.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
a little off topic but I gotta ask, are you part of Raider Nation?? I'm a Raider fan and your avatar caught my attention.
Lol.. OH HELL NO.. Broncos all the way BABY!!!
Face paint was from an ICP concert last summer. lol
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
ICP lol! and you're the 'older' brother?

I guess it's better than Barbara Streisand...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
ICP lol! and you're the 'older' brother?

I guess it's better than Barbara Streisand...

Right! lol.. I'm no Juggalo.. but I had fun at that concert.. I met my wife there!!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I was just listening to them last night.. thier videos always crack me up.

As far as your brother.. slap the **** out of him and stop him before he becomes a statistic. I'd hate to hear about that man.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you just gotta take the bike out of the equation.

18 or 28 - it doesn't make any difference.

He'll beat if for a while. The best quote that I remember in this regard was, "If you keep knocking on the Devil's door - sooner or later sombody gonna answer."

Cash out the bike and convince him to buy a great new stereo, a great new couch, maybe he needs to plant some trees about the property. Think of something!

Last edited by nuhawk; 09-16-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Sometimes you just gotta take the bike out of the equation.

18 or 28 - it doesn't make any difference.

He'll beat if for a while. The best quote that I remember in this regard was, "If you keep knocking on the Devil's door - sooner or later sombody gonna answer."

Cash out the bike and convince him to buy a great new stereo, a great new couch, maybe he needs to plant some trees about the property. Think of something!

Cash out the bike? I think its funny, because maybe he is onto something.. He's ridden for almost 4 months total, and never made a bike payment.. Everytime his 1st payment is due, he wrecks it and gets the insurance to pay it off.. lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The interesting thing about this sport is that natural selection removes unfits from the gene pool. They either go broke or get broken too much to continue. It would seem that he would be able to read the signs, but again, gene pool. No offense but from your avitar I seriously doubt you are exactly the one to talk sense into him. Maybe some mentoring from a "sane" 3rd party or clergy?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The interesting thing about this sport is that natural selection removes unfits from the gene pool. They either go broke or get broken too much to continue. It would seem that he would be able to read the signs, but again, gene pool. No offense but from your avitar I seriously doubt you are exactly the one to talk sense into him. Maybe some mentoring from a "sane" 3rd party or clergy?
LOL.. Nah, dont let the avatar fool you.. That was a one time deal for the concert.. "when in rome..." you know how it goes.. the hair was fun though..

Besides, what would a little clown makeup have to do with my mental sanity? Being married with 3 kids, after 6 years in the military does more to unhinge my brain than a $30 concert and $40 hair braid..
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I agree, I just thought it would be a funny response to the whole thing. Although your next avitar should be of your kids- I bet they are an interesting lot with a military insane clown biker father. I do understand the that the same intensity that makes us (me incld) do crazy things also drives us to control that intensity with dicipline like the military or other things. Give your brother this advise.STOP GOING FAST ON THE STREET; ITS DANGEROUS. I ride year round in NYC for 19 yrs so I have a clue. Get him to get into racing. It is the safest way to get the bug out of your system. I can say it probably saved my life. He is literally playing russian roulette & one of those chambers has a live round. He has used several clicks, do the math......They sat a word to the wise is enough. (oh yeah, I have been racing 11 years & got 2nd in the championship last year so speed doesnt=certain disaster) You owe it to your sibling to talk to him. What else does anyone really have but family?? Good luck & PEACEOUT
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Well after reading through this thread the thing that comes to mind is....there is no cure for stupidity

If your brother keeps playing, sooner than later, the odds will catch up with him.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
It's known as tough love - take a 'harden the f**k up pill' and front him about his death wish. The hardest part will be the mind games that you do before actually saying something.
Better than all the regrets if you don't say something and he succeeds....

Last edited by revhead1957; 09-17-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: wording
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
I am glad to see that I am not the only one that HAS the "fear gene". I am pretty new to riding and live near ATL. I see a lot of guys passing me and my family when we are in our car doing 80 on I-75 and these guys are easily over 120 splitting lanes and weaving in and out of the traffic. When I ride, I still have a ton of respect for how fast my bike could teach me a lesson if I think I am a lot better rider than I actually am. I guess it is getting older maybe (used to be a former auto street racer with my 300zx)? I think being a pilot and flight instructor has helped me mature a lot. We have a saying when you are learning to fly called "being behind the plane". It takes many hours before someone actually starts flying out front and is not behind the plane. I guess the same holds true for riding. I am still seeing areas that I am "behind the bike" and know that eventually if I keep riding and paying attention to those areas they will come with time and I will develop the all important feel.

I am going to take one of those advanced motorcycle safety courses that build on more of the fundamentals of riding, maybe your brother could take one also? Even if you are a good rider, sometimes it is beneficial to get back to basics with a like minded group of people focused on safety. Maybe you guys could go do it together and make it a brothers day (or weekend) out? The courses are only $100 around here and I think the prices are similar everywhere.

I guess it all comes down to your brother seeing a need for change, until he does, he probably will continue to push the limits and gamble.