General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Blackbird

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Squid

bikerpipes is on a distinguished road
Blackbird

I think i want a Honda Super Black bird has anyone on the forum owned one and did you like it.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
My friend has one. They are really nice bikes. A little more sport touring than super sport. But they are super fast! LOL! Oh and it's just a Blackbird. Not a "super" Blackbird.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
Oh and it's just a Blackbird. Not a "super" Blackbird.
According to Wikipedia, it is a Super Blackbird. Pretty sure I can read the words Super Blackbird in the photos.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
According to Wikipedia, it is a Super Blackbird. Pretty sure I can read the words Super Blackbird in the photos.
While normally referred to as a "Blackbird" the true name is "Super Blackbird"

and if you want more info on them here is a good place to read up a bit: CBRXX.com - CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird Forum
Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Squid

Super Blackbird

Originally Posted by GTS
My friend has one. They are really nice bikes. A little more sport touring than super sport. But they are super fast! LOL! Oh and it's just a Blackbird. Not a "super" Blackbird.
HA HA
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I always heard them called BlackBird.

1100xx Logo

Makes me feel ashamed because I once wanted to buy that bike.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I currently own one. 6 or 7 years now...?
I've done 4 trackdays with it. 1 at Road America and 3 at Blackhawk farms (small & technical).

I can pretty much hang with anyone on a street ride (unless they ride it like a track).
It is heavy, it seems sluggish...but, I'd rather have it than a busa or zx14. A LOT of the XX owners that migrated to busa's or ZX's, have regretted it and wanted their XX back.

another great site is cbr1100xx.org - crazy bunch of guys out there, but helpful and friendly.

do I like it?? HE!! YES !

I've had a couple of "dibs" from members here if I ever want to sell it. So far, my plan to street/track the SH hasn't came about. so, the XX gets to stay for a while. and I don't mind at all....

ps-I think the code-name in development was 'Super Blackbird'...TV/print ads upon release have it next to an SR-17 Stealth Bomber "Blackbird". Here in the states, it was just a 'Blackbird'. I think American Honda was trying to get under the insurance radar, for it was the worlds fastest production bike when released....hehe

I saw an uncorrected 16x mph at RA on the front straight. all stock at that time, sans slip-ons.
It was still pulling, but I needed more road...

Last edited by Spoot; 06-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
if you looking for a blackbird,2001 is the last year that had 164hp,any year after that the HP dropped to 152,before 99,it was carbed.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

yup ^^. loose a tad of bhp and a 'choke' lever = but gain FI and a digi speedo.

I have a power-commander and Ti Ixil race ovals...132 at the tire.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
They're amazing in my opinion. My nieghbor and good friend used to have one. He's a member on here, hasn't been on in years, but his name is Xdayan and he should have some pictures. I found this old Thread, check out his old bike. It was beautiful, I believe he sold it a couple years ago to some guy in fairbanks. If you can get a good price on one, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ackbird-14304/
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Funny, There is a post on the "SuperBlackBird Forum" - A member is requesting a trade of a 2004 Blue S-hawk for a Super Black Bird... well..
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Wikis are made by everyday people like you and I. They are by no means definitive and more times seem to be more common knowledge than actual. Just because everyone calls something by a certain name doesnt mean it is. If it does say "Super Blackbird" on the Honda literature I'll gladly admit I was incorrect. My friend said it doesn't say "super" on the sticker on the side of the bike.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by GTS
Wikis are made by everyday people like you and I. They are by no means definitive and more times seem to be more common knowledge than actual. Just because everyone calls something by a certain name doesnt mean it is. If it does say "Super Blackbird" on the Honda literature I'll gladly admit I was incorrect. My friend said it doesn't say "super" on the sticker on the side of the bike.
OK then you should probably ignore all the posts after mine. I agree Wiki's are not 100%, so I was careful to cite the source of information, not claiming to "know" it was true.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned
MotoGP

While not an exact example, here is a page, from Honda, about the X11 they were showing at the 33rd Tokyo Motor Show. This quote should settle everything, " Featuring a 1,100cc inline-4 engine based on the one that powers the CBR1100XX Super-Blackbird"
Honda Worldwide | Tokyo Motor Show 1999

So it sure looks like Honda called them a Super Blackbird....

Here is another reference from Honda:

A further advance on the braking system used on the CBR1100XX Super Blackbird export model - the front brake lever also operates the rear brake for extra stability when braking - is just what is needed on a super sports tourer.
http://world.honda.com/news/1998/pri...y/2980410.html

and one more reference in case it is needed:
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...kbird_2006.php

if you click on the pic to blow it up you get "picture credit-Honda" and it clearly says Super Blackbird on the fairing

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 06-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Also, in the link to my friend's old bike, "Super Blackbird" is clearly legible on the rear fairing. :]
Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Watched a few you tube videos after reading this thread. I knew of the blackbird but had never seen one "go". Very nice bike. One video shows a guy in Europe push 310 kmh which is ,correct me if I'm wrong, roughly 192mph? Awesome bike. He burns a half tank of gas in a 4 minute video haha.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

I see a couple for sale locally on Craigslist in $4K range.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Well unlike some I'm not to proud to say when I'm wrong. I guess it'd just been a long time since I'd actually looked at one that close. I've seen, heard, and said the shortened version for so long that I thought someone started adding the "Super" to it and it just stuck. I hate when people add things like that which seems to happen somewhat regularly. Thanks for setting me straight and I apologize for the confusion.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I now remember speaking with the salesman at the dealer when I first saw that bike. He said it was an 1100XX. There was no other name on the bike anywhere, except Honda. This was probably a first year model. He did refer to it as a Blackbird.

Sport Rider has an article which states that the name of the bike was Super Blackbird in other parts of the world, but in the USA it is simply CBR 1100XX.

1997-2003 Honda CBR1100XX - Great Sportbikes of the Past
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
I now remember speaking with the salesman at the dealer when I first saw that bike. He said it was an 1100XX. There was no other name on the bike anywhere, except Honda. This was probably a first year model. He did refer to it as a Blackbird.

Sport Rider has an article which states that the name of the bike was Super Blackbird in other parts of the world, but in the USA it is simply CBR 1100XX.

1997-2003 Honda CBR1100XX - Great Sportbikes of the Past
So by this the name of the bike was "Super Blackbird" even though the US only got a CBR1100XX designation. Which would mean the name "Blackbird" is incorrect, wouldn't it?

Though does it really matter?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
So by this the name of the bike was "Super Blackbird" even though the US only got a CBR1100XX designation. Which would mean the name "Blackbird" is incorrect, wouldn't it?

Though does it really matter?
NO

And while this moto was always high on the very cool factor & I've seen plenty of posts of owners who love them (kinda like us). The only thing I know badly about them is they're heavy.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

[QUOTE=nnjhawk02;336666]And while this moto was always high on the very cool factor & I've seen plenty of posts of owners who love them (kinda like us).[/QUOTE]

Well heck.

I've got the best of BOTH worlds then !!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Both Worlds

[QUOTE=Spoot;336728]
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
And while this moto was always high on the very cool factor & I've seen plenty of posts of owners who love them (kinda like us).[/QUOTE]

Well heck.

I've got the best of BOTH worlds then !!
Hey Spoot
How can you have the best of both worlds when I already have it?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Squid

I guess i will ride my Super Hawk this summer.Then sell it and go on the look out for a nice Blackbird this winter or early fall.I haven't rode much this summer due to recovering from colon cancer surgery. I sold all my bikes when I found out about the cancer.Doctors say no sign of cancer so I bought the Hawk.I want something that feels more like the FJR. I have always loved the looks of the Super Blackbird.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
I also have a found the CBR1100XX to be something on my bucket list. Saw one, I think in 2000 at the honda dealership. Big and black. Like a CBR600 on steroids. I thought nice but heavy. Then I saw the owner, older guy maybe in his 60s(no offense-will be there soon), jump on and do a U turn in the single lane parking lot leading to a pretty steep slope exit. Something I was pressed to do at the time on my S/H. Once on the main street he was gone. Would be nice but on the island not much long distance rides.
Still thinking about getting one, though that was the only one I have seen since on the island. Nice...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Yoadriaaan
Squid

Yoadriaaan is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2005 Blackbird last spring in anticipation of moving up from my Superhawk, however, I was quite surprised that I preferred the SH after riding the Blackbird a few thousand miles. The SH was simply more comfortable, lighter, narrower, and turned quicker than the XX. It reminded me of how great the SH is as an all around bike. Bottom line: keep your Hawk for a month after you buy the XX, because you may end up liking it better.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
I have had my Blackbird since 2009, bought from my high school/dirt bike riding buddy, it was his first street bike.. nearly killed himself with Dos Equis (XX). He'd asked me to buy it from him before he loses his license.

Name:  IMG_3169.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  162.0 KB

Mine is a 98 carb-ed model, 4-into-1 exhaust, airbox mod, tuned to perfection, no need for FI, carb-ed XX are faster and lighter anyway. I posted it for sale on this forum last year, since I lost my job, but glad no one bought it, because it is worth much more than what I asked for and I I will probably find another bike that's so fast and so refined. Just as smooth at 60 vs 140 mph.

Name:  IMG_3149.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  209.1 KB

If you can find one that's in decent shape, buy it and you will not regret it.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Squid

Tman is on a distinguished road
This video has a few black birds in it,,,
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Squid

y3game is on a distinguished road
Very nice post. I just stumble upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
Gazo2
|Friv Games
|Friv
|y3
|Friv 5
and Bloons tower defense 4
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Squid

alternative_vtr is on a distinguished road
I had one on a demo for a couple of days from my Honda dealer about 8 years ago - so easy to go fast and very comfortable bike to ride, I loved it, just never ended up buying one................ yet

Quick Reply: Blackbird