bird down ;(

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
bird down ;(

This Monday my motorcycle got hit. My bike was parked legally in a parking spot at work. This moron woman driver couldn't even tell me if she backed into it or drove into it. She was nice enough to come to my office and find out who owned a motorcycle, so that she could tell me.

As I asked her questions, she said “you know I was nice and let you know that I hit your bike, I didn’t even have to let you know” WTF?!

A police report was filed and her insurance is going to cover everything. The bike is rideable, but damaged. A Honda dealership completed an damage estimate. The estimate was 3K in parts (cases, plastics, exhaust etc) and almost $800 in labor.

After having the Superhawk for 10 years now, and being a commuter we have spent lots of time together. On the other hand this might be the justification I need to get a new (new to me) motorcycle.

The info has been sent to her insurance company. Now I wait. Does anyone know how this process works?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
A police report was filed and her insurance is going to cover everything. The bike is rideable, but damaged. A Honda dealership completed an damage estimate. The estimate was 3K in parts (cases, plastics, exhaust etc) and almost $800 in labor.
Thats more than 75% of the fair condition blue book value (normally the plastics alone are that much, and of course this depends on year, I based this off the 3k retail my 98 hawk had with 30k miles on it) which means the Ins company will total it, take the bike to auction it off with a salvage title and pay you fair market value of the motorcycle. Normally you will get an option to buy it back before they auction it but it will still have a salvage title.

If it is less than the 75% value of the bike then they should just cut you a check for the estimate (or they will cut it directly to the shop if you prefer) and you do what you want.

Last edited by insulinboy; 09-29-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Actually, I'd say that depends on the state and how it's handled. If the ins company wants to total the bike, they may simply agree to a reduced payout and you keep the bike; the reduction being what you're paying them for the wrecked bike. I've bought totaled bikes and cars back for $250-$350 before, keeping a normal title. Also, I've never had an ins company want to total something unless it cost more than 100% of (their) book value to repair.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
This Monday my motorcycle got hit. My bike was parked legally in a parking spot at work. This moron woman driver couldn't even tell me if she backed into it or drove into it. She was nice enough to come to my office and find out who owned a motorcycle, so that she could tell me.

As I asked her questions, she said “you know I was nice and let you know that I hit your bike, I didn’t even have to let you know” WTF?!

After having the Superhawk for 10 years now, and being a commuter we have spent lots of time together. On the other hand this might be the justification I need to get a new (new to me) motorcycle.

The info has been sent to her insurance company. Now I wait. Does anyone know how this process works?
I bet you'll make out just fine! Had this exact thing happen to me and it turned out awesome!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
some insurance companies will go with aftermarket parts/plastics to keep the repair cost down so they don't have to total it. If it does end up being totaled, don't take their first offer, show proof of value and what it would cost to replace the bike.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Actually, I'd say that depends on the state and how it's handled.
Your right, it does depend on state. my knowledge is based from my experience in NY where I grew up. The law in NY says that if more than 75% of a vehicles retail value is done in damage the vehicle must be totaled. In fact there is a place on the back of the title that you have to swear that you didn't ever cause that much damage to the vehicle under penalty of imprisonment for a false statement before you can sell the vehicle
Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ChikinLady1011
If it does end up being totaled, don't take their first offer, show proof of value and what it would cost to replace the bike.
How would I do that?

update:
The shops assessment was completed on sat.
The insurance agent is going to assess the bike tomorrow. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Its been a week and a day, sense she hit me. I am itching to ride.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

update

Just thought I would post an update. I spoke with the insurance company after the assessment was completed.

This is what the insurance told me:
According to FL law any vehicle totaled past 80% can be put back on the road. My bike was 85% totaled. Insurance would allow me to buy back the bike, but it couldn't be licensed again. I could only use the bike for parts, not even a salvage title.

So........Last night I picked up my new ride a 2007 Ducati ST3.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Wow, congrats. I was going to post a suggestion to buy another frame...
Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Wow, congrats. I was going to post a suggestion to buy another frame...

Yeah, I know of one in Edgewater, FL he's selling it for $350 with a clean title.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Squid

curlcd is on a distinguished road
You should buy it back from the insurance company and make it a track bike.. could not find one cheaper.

what did the ins company offer it to you for?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Squid

ahernandez74 is on a distinguished road
Well.. Sounds like you came out ahead. I would pick the ducati anyday... I love my hawk but honestly, I only pcked it due to value. It's a great bike for the money.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

I thought about buying another frame and transfering everything over, but I just don’t have the time to do it.
"what did the ins company offer it to you for?"

My shawk was a 2003 with about 32,000 on her (I have a short commute). The insurance company gave me $4,100 for her with all of the aftermarket items on her.

My goal was to pick up a bike (preferrable a v-twin) for 4-5K. I was thinking that I would end up with a SV1000 or something like that.

What I found was a 2007 Ducati ST3 with 32K on her on craigslist. The asking price $2,500
I called the guy immediately and asked a bunch of questions. He informed me that the bike had been down before and it was fixed, except for the plastic. The LH side has small scratches on the upper and lower faring, as well as a couple of scratches on the LH pannier. The title was NOT a salvage title, it was a regular title.

The next day drove up to a small town outside Brunswick GA. This was a 2 1/2 hour journey one way. I talked with the owner at length before the test ride. He had the service records for the last 2 years. I checked and the major service ($$$) was done recently. I thoroughly checked out the bike and the test ride sealed the deal.

The rest is history.

I will be selling a few shawk items that I still have in the garage, soft saddlebags and other odds and ends.
Attached Thumbnails bird down ;(-cam00033.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Luck with the Duc.

But I would say to get a Duc manual and learn to work on it.

If not, I hope you have deep pockets.