General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bike raffle for a good cause...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Arrow Bike raffle for a good cause...

----Update! All 200 raffle tickets are now sold. Thank you for your support! The raffle will be posted on youtube soon after at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G6OEdcyUM---

One of my friends, Xavier Rigau, who is also a leader of our local riding group was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash on October 24 and is paralyzed from the waist down.

We are raffling off his other bike (which was not crashed), it is a 2010 Aprilia RSV4R in pristine condition with 3,987 miles on it. The goal is to raise enough money by the end of the year to go towards the cost of purchasing a wheelchair accessible van for when he's out of the hospital in January hopefully.

Tickets are $100 each and limited to 200 total. See post #4 for payment info.

Xavier's Aprilia will be on display at GP Motorcycles off the I-5 here in San Diego, and the raffle on Dec 31 at the same location.

We have about 140 tickets sold so far.

More info here:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...topic=44041.30

Let me know if you have any questions, Robert is coordinating the raffle. It's also on meetup.com but I think you have to sign up to view the info there. (San Diego Sportbike Meetup Group)

I visited him yesterday in the rehab center and he's holding up ok mentally considering all the challenges he's got ahead of him. I'm really going to miss following him through the twisties. He contributed so much to the beginners in our group, taking his time to coach them on everything from correct riding techniques to proper maintenance and always willing to hold back so he could lead/pace for the newbies to help keep them safe. I learned much of what I know from riding with him. It's especially heartbreaking for me to see him like this because I know his mentoring and goodwill has surely protected others from the same fate.

Mods, let me know if this isn't kosher or in the wrong section. Thank you and ride safe!

Name:  PB088669.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  PB088668.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  173.8 KB

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
SuperSport

Track day and the organizer is donating all proceeds to Xaver's cause. This is seperate from the raffle.

This is pretty sweet considering both of my bikes are under the knife.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Bought a ticket. I hope it works out for the best.

Last edited by JPP; 12-03-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
SuperSport

Thanks guys for your support, sent you PMs.

Xavier's progress in rehab has really been held up because his left arm is so busted up. He had surgery last week so hopefully he can start using it more soon and get out of the motorized chair.

Xavier's in the local newspaper now!

http://pomeradonews.com/article/News...d_RB_man/33683

Drawing to benefit paralyzed RB man
Elizabeth Marie Himchak
Published 12/09/2010 - 9:18 a.m.

Motorcyclists will have an opportunity to win a 2010 Aprilia RSV4R Superbike just by purchasing a $100 opportunity drawing ticket.

Only 200 tickets will be available in the fundraiser benefiting Rancho Bernardo resident Xavier Rigau.

The 44-year-old was paralyzed in an Oct. 24 head-on crash in Lakeside, said his wife, Carmen Vega.

“He was training friends, ... always advocated safety and drives very well,” Vega said. “We do not know what happened, but he crashed into a car head-on. He is alive because of all the good protection he wore.”

Vega said her husband started riding motorcycles at age 14 and is well-known in the San Diego biker community. He was a member of San Diego Sports Bike Club, which every weekend rides throughout the county.

Her husband always stressed to other motorcyclists the importance of wearing safety gear, including a chest and back protector, which he credits with saving his life, she said.

Due to a broken back, Rigau is paralyzed from the waist down. Other injuries, she said, include a collapsed lung and broken arm and leg. He is expected to remain at a rehabilitation hospital until late January.

“He is in so much pain right now,” she said.

While the couple has medical insurance, Vega said it is unclear if it will cover the wheelchair her husband will need. She already knows it will not cover renovations needed for their two-story Rancho Bernardo condominium that must be completed prior to his return home. These include making the downstairs bedroom and bathroom wheelchair accessible in addition to building some ramps.

The couple moved to Rancho Bernardo 10 years ago when Rigau’s software engineering job at Hewlett-Packard required a transfer from their native Spain.

The couple is receiving assistance through others impacted by paralysis. These include a $1,000 donation from the Head North organization founded by Eric Northbrook (who was paralyzed in a 2006 motorcycle accident) and assistance from Can’t Keep Me Down, a nonprofit founded by Bobby DuCharme, who became a quadriplegic in 1999 due to a surfing accident in Coronado.

The group’s president, and DuCharme’s mother, Lori Boyters said Can’t Keep Me Down tries to help those paralyzed adjust to their new physical condition by providing advice her family learned the hard way.

“(Paralysis) is a horrible thing that is life-changing, including for the family,” Boyters said. “Doctors and nurses do not provide enough information during rehabilitation.”

Some of the information they have learned, such as preventing bed sores, can mean the difference between life and death, she said.

Because the organization has nonprofit status, it is also assisting with the Rigau fundraiser so contributions can be tax-deductible.

Earlier this year, Rigau purchased the motorcycle, which retails for $16,000. It has almost 4,000 miles on it and was not involved in the accident.

The winner will be announced around Dec. 31 if all 200 tickets are sold. If not, ticket buyers can request a refund, according to the fundraiser’s website.

Checks — to purchase a drawing ticket or make a donation — must be written to “Can’t Keep Me Down” and indicate they are for Xavier Rigau. Mail to Can’t Keep Me Down, 3958 Corte Mar de Brisa, San Diego, CA 92130.
For details, go to www.cantkeepmedown.org.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
SuperSport

Thank you for the support guys! We're getting closer to sealing the deal.

Responded to all PMs.

If anyone on here from out of state wins, you are responsible for shipping costs but I'll personally see to it that the shipper/bike gets dealt with on this end.

I think the plan is to put the raffle on youtube as soon as possible.

Right now Xavier and his wife are dealing with the insurance company. He needs rehab but until his arm heals more he's limited what he can do. But the insurance company wants him out because they don't want to keep paying for these expensive facilities. Bastards only like you when you're paying them, not the other way around.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
SuperSport

Ok I just found out that they are scheduling raffle on Dec 31 at GP cycles here in downtown San Diego. They don't have 200 tickets sold, but there's enough to justify raffling it.... so your odds may be better than 1/200

I'll plan on being there as I have the day off. I'll video it myself and upload it if somebody doesn't have a better camera than me.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
SuperSport

Less than 20 tickets still remaining!

Raffle will be held 12/31, ending at 5pm at:

GP Motorcycles
3617 India Street, Ste B
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 233.4762

I will update the youtube video below with a link to the raffle, hopefully within the hour after if they hook me up with an internet connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G6OEdcyUM
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
SuperSport

Robert says:

"I will provide storage at no cost and transportation within San Diego and possibly further at no cost. I may even bring it out of state for the cost of fuel."
Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
paypal? credit card?

I would like to participate with a donation by paypal or credit card-is that possible as I don't think my check would make it in time for the drawing?
thanks-Mort
Old 12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
SuperSport

Priority mail is 2 days right?

You can still get away with paypal, just make sure you don't have "raffle" written on it anywhere or it puts him in danger with paypal. If you do the personal payment option there is no fee, but it takes a few days to clear if you don't already have money in your account.

It wouldn't give robert enough time to get you a ticket in the mail beforehand, but you'd at least get your name in the hat and a ticket number or photo emailed for the time-being.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
paypal info

Can't find the paypal info for the donation in the thread or on their website-Mort
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
SuperSport

He removed the paypal because they were being bastards about it.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

UPDATE! All 200 raffle tickets are now sold. Thank you for your support!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

Raffle video here! Anybody know this guy? (Hint, it's one of you on here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovhJ66QURms

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 12-31-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
UNFU%&ING REAL! I sure hope this guy pays attention! I'm about to send a message so it doesn't slip away!!! Very cool man.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
Omg. That's so awesome, lol. Lots of visitors to his profile page too, ha.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I heard my name on the Youtube results. I won.
JP