Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

oil cause missed shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
oil cause missed shifts?

bought my rc51 this past march. immediately changed the oil and filter. honda filter and motorex semi synthetic oil.
it doesn't miss many shifts, it is rare. always on upshifts. could this be related to the semi synthetic oil?
i decided to switch to the factory recommended honda oil. did the oil change this afternoon.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
bought my rc51 this past march. immediately changed the oil and filter. honda filter and motorex semi synthetic oil.
it doesn't miss many shifts, it is rare. always on upshifts. could this be related to the semi synthetic oil?
i decided to switch to the factory recommended honda oil. did the oil change this afternoon.
I've never heard of oil causing this problem. I've used everything from conventional to synthetic, in several different bikes over the years. Besides if your under any service plans with Honda, They never put synthetic in them. They use conventional or semi syns if your lucky. Your not going to notice any differences with the syn oil, other than better gas mileage. If your missing shifts I would start looking at linkage adjustments.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
How was the bike ridden by the previous owner? Did he do clutchless upshifts? Make sure you're giving a solid upward motion with your left foot. I very rarely get a false neutral, and it's always because I was lazy with my left foot.

Otherwise I would suggest that you sell the RC51 to me, at a reduced price of course since the transmission is obviously damaged.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've read all the enlightened "oil" threads on SuperHawk Forum and am now therefore an oil expert.

No need to sell that RC51 to VTRsurfer at reduced price. Simply send me a check for $100 and I'll tell you what the "best oil" is for your bike!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 AM
SuperBike

hahaha, i might sell if i get a ducati!
back to the oil. i switched from semi synthetic to natural oil. i don't know what the po used for oil, or how he rode the bike. i talked to the bike's first owner who had it until last november. he told me he had no issues at all. the second owner(nov - mar) i have no idea what he did.
i think the most likely cause is lazy foot syndrome. i have lazy everything else...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
It's interesting that you bring this up. I've noticed a BIG difference between oil brands when it comes to shift quality. Some of the [expensive brands to remain nameless] didn't shift well at all. I've found good ol' Honda GN4 to shift the best, so that's what I use. Earlier this year I ran some Golden Spectro plain oil and while it wasn't quite as good as the GN4 it was still ok.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
SuperBike

i'm hoping that the oil fixes this issue but i'm not counting on it.

i paid $61cad for four liters of motorex semi syn. went to the honda dealer and bought two oild filters and 12 liters of gn4 for $120cad! the motorex is being returned at lunch time today!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Holy crap that's a lot of money for oil! I looked at prices for Royal Purple yesterday, and it's $8.47 USD per quart.

Although, a friend dyno'ed his car before and after, and has slips to show 8 HP at the wheels just from the Royal Purple. Hard to believe? Yes. But has proof.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
SuperBike

oh yeah, oil is expensive here. it's rediculous and it burns me. the dealer charges about double what they used to. the last two times i've bought oil i have grumbled. this time i did something about it! i marched that motorex back to the dealer. the honda oil is way cheaper from the honda dealer.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I am not very familiar with the RC51.

What sort of gear linkage does it use? If it is the same as the VTR it will be rubbish. If it does not have heim joints in there, then I would fit them. The improvement is considerable. Also look at any pivots or bushes in the linkage, and make sure they are working at their optimum.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
SuperBike

yes, i keep meaning to check the linkages. gotta get around to that. soon.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Squid

JOHNNYP is on a distinguished road
I got mine as a recovered theft so I know it's been hammered on, I've tried a few different oils and the gold semi synt. Honda oil without moly works the best at curing a weird clutch grabbing issue I have very rarely, but I think my problem is a scored up clutch basket I am trying to replace during this winter. Otherwise people will argue oils up and down round' and round!