General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bike alarms

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Bike alarms

I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and I don't have a garage, but a carport that will be converted to a garage this summer. I have been looking into bike alarms and was wondering how many of you have them on your bikes?

I have heard horror stories about people stealing sport bikes by picking them up nd laying them in a truck. I am shure theft insurance is adequate, but I don't want my bike stolen, even if insurance would replace it.

So, what are some alarms, locks and other tricks to help lower my chances of theft.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
Have you ever seen anyone respond to a car alarm? If anything, they walk away faster. Personally, I would get a cable lock, and chain your bike to the garage, if your worried about it.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I agree that lots of people ignore car alarms going off... I have a Scorpio SR-i500 I believe on my SH that has ignition kill and the 2 way pager - I know if I hear it go off I am going to come running! Some insurance company's give you a discount if you have an alarm system installed.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Well, the alarm is stage 1. When, and if I hear it go off, my Kimber 45 will be stage 2.
I looked at some locks yesterday that were around $100, so I fugured the extra money for an alarm would be better. That way if I am out somewhere and some cage bangs into my bike in a parking lot, I will know about it asap.
I may do the alarm, and the lock at home. Maybe I am being too cautious, but I love my bike and don't want it taken by some crackhead theif!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a ChatterBox alarm. Very loud siren and ignition disabler. Giant cable to lock it up when traveling. Still concerned about my baby, of course. My wife actually told me not to ride it to work! But I park it with a 'Busa, an F4i, two blinged GSXR1000s and a few others. Use the odds: which models get stolen the most?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Theft Deterents

Alarms and locks are theft deterents but if they want it, it depends on the "skill" of the thief. The "amatuers" may do a lot of damage in the attempt and get frustrated and walk away if the locks are too tuff and/or get scared off by an alarm. The "pros" will get your bike regardless of the deterents 80%+ of the time.

In my shop (which is alarmed), I lock it with a Krypto Fagetaboutit disk lock and a U-lock cabled to the lift. Problem is (if they disable the alarm), there are enough tools in my shop they could cut the locks but then they have to get it down my 100 ft driveway or muscle it through the grass to the alley.

When I park it on a ride to eat, 95% of the time I sit where I can watch it and most of the areas I ride are rural and "low" crime areas. I also can use the disk lock I carry and also have a alarm with starter kill. I rarely ride and park in the city, and when I do, I park in a "secure" garage or lot next to the attendant (who could be crooked but knock on plastic, in 35 years I've never been touched).

On all my likes I affix a length of yellow caution tape to the locks, which at least "advertises" the locks and some idiot doesn't try to push it away.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
bump....i'm in the same boat. anyone else have any good advice on specific brands and if this is a DIY project or best left to an alarm shop?
thanks all!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Just thought this was some good information on Motorcycle theft protection

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadrid...esc/lockit.asp
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
while we're on the topic, does anyone have a LoJack on their bike? i know they make stealthy set ups for bikes...just curious what people's opinions were on those
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
After several ripoffs here the cops suggested doing anything you can to slow them down or make it not worth it to them. Not only can the Kimber clean up the mess after you've slowed them down, make sure you bring your targets home from the shooting range and hang them around the carport. Get some cheap frames for good groups that you're proud of. The thieves may get the message that this is not a good idea.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Another cheap tool to prevent theft or catch a thief is a Baby Monitor. If you park your bike on your patio or in a hallway of an apartment, put it under the bike cover. You will hear everything that comes near your bike. Not the most professional bike alarm, but you may sleep better at night knowing you can hear if something is going on with your bike. They work good for storage buildings too. Had a buddy catch a guy breaking into his shed trying to steal his ATV.