General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Biffed the Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Biffed the Hawk

Today I lost the front in turn 3 at PIR (Portland OR). Its a left. Ripped off the left peg and clutch lever. Track day. Worst was I scraped up my new Arai IOM TT helmet. Also ground the left fairing down a bit. Won't buff out.
A track marshal gave me a push and I was able to pop it into gear and ride it back to the pits.
Physically it was just a slide. Pinched fingers and a bruise. My knee pucks now look like I can drag a knee, which I can't. I did drag both peg feelers today but the left one only just before I crashed.
The track day was run by Moto Corsa, the Ducati shop in Portland. Great people Really nice
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
That's no fun...but there's good news. You're alright, and it happened in a controlled environment!

You'll get to do as you like with your bike, which should be good if you enjoy projects. As to your helmet, I find safety gear odd...since we'll invest lots of $$ into items designed to protect us, but by the nature of the beast, the last thing we want to do is use the items...it's kind of a love hate relationship.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I would bet it would be worth buying a less ornate helmet for trackdays only. You spent big $$ on that paint scheme which adds zero protection.

Any crash you can walk away from is a good crash. Does anyone on here not crash on their trackday? Geesh. Its a trackday, not win it or bin it moto2. You cant even win.

Live and learn.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
At least we're seeing trackday crashes and not stoplight crashes...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I guess, sorta. Stoplight crash is better than performance street riding tho. But still, why not play the game so you can keep playing? Crashing is not fun.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbeater
Today I lost the front in turn 3 at PIR (Portland OR). Its a left. Ripped off the left peg and clutch lever. Track day. Worst was I scraped up my new Arai IOM TT helmet. Also ground the left fairing down a bit. Won't buff out.
A track marshal gave me a push and I was able to pop it into gear and ride it back to the pits.
Physically it was just a slide. Pinched fingers and a bruise. My knee pucks now look like I can drag a knee, which I can't. I did drag both peg feelers today but the left one only just before I crashed.
The track day was run by Moto Corsa, the Ducati shop in Portland. Great people Really nice
Glad you're OK man. Some of us dirtbike riders have a superstition; buy a new helmet, go ahead and give it a bang on the work bench or something. Otherwise you'll crash first ride and smack the helmet anyway.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

Anybody want to sell a clean, really clean, left side fairing?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Might have what you are looking for. Let me dig around and get back to you today with pictures.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
Left Fairing

This might be what you are looking for. I have a Left fairing with light, air damn, inner. There are only minor things wrong with it. There is a small crack by the mirror mounting holes, but I can fix that with some plastex I have laying around. There are also a few "dimples" that are pictured. I know it is not in "Perfect" shape, but it should just need a sand paint and shine.

I have no need for it, so just PM me if you want more details and to finalize a sale if interested.

Thanks,
~Jon
Attached Thumbnails Biffed the Hawk-left-fairing.jpg   Biffed the Hawk-left-fairing1.jpg   Biffed the Hawk-left-fairing-small-pits.jpg   Biffed the Hawk-left-fairing-small-crack.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
MotoGP

jerryh, the problem with your "superstition" is that motorcycle helmets are crash helmets, unlike football helmets. They are single impact use, so once you wack it on the bench, you have comprimised its safety.

So thats a bad idea if you want your (possibly) valuable brain to be protected.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by jerryh
Glad you're OK man. Some of us dirtbike riders have a superstition; buy a new helmet, go ahead and give it a bang on the work bench or something. Otherwise you'll crash first ride and smack the helmet anyway.
I used to do amateur Moto-x and enduro..I never dinged a helmet on purpose. But I never grieved over one either. The IOM TT was special and a very expensive gift.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbeater
that sucks bud, welcome to the track crash club. I just scraped my 30day old $400 shoei rf1100 as well.
DSC00119_zpsb8fe240e.jpg Photo by mrman4568 | Photobucket glad it did its job though.
Im taking joes advice and getting a scorpion exo 400 for $110 its snell 2010 approved. Might get the exo 500(ece approved) for a few more, but im feeling cheap at the moment.
ive got these pegs on currrently and they survived the crash. They use the stock peg spring and fold up in the event of a fall. They give you a little more room for leaning and dont scare the crap out of you when your peg feelers grind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180958779098...84.m1439.l2649
Just make sure you ride on the ***** of your feet otherwise your boot guards are the next thing to grind and thats a little distracting on a turn.

Last edited by LuvmyVTR; 06-11-2013 at 03:22 PM.