General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Becoming a better rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Squid

Alterego is on a distinguished road
Becoming a better rider

I started off with dirt bikes and moved to street on and off since college. I recently got my second Hawk and would like to become a better rider. Right now I ride pretty regularly but more on the conservative side. From the experienced riders what would you say are some good ways to learn better riding skills?

I have looked into the advanced classes through the DMV but, have heard mixed reviews on the instructors. I also know more seat time makes a better rider but, I feel proper instruction can go a long way as well. Any advice is welcome.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
There are a variety of schools you can go to some even provide bikes and leathers. An old friend of mine is Ed Bargy and he's on the east coast, Keith Codes Superbike school is still going on but there are others as well. Try Googling Motorcycle Track Days.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
there is many ways to better yourself,most important,take your time learning,find good instructors,that dont work for the dmv.will get more personal time.
try reaading twist of the wrist.its a good read.
Or if you can find a couple of patient skilled riders that are willing to coach you,that would be good too.
but no matter what,take your time to learn and listen closely.there is a guy down here who was a dirt rider,i beleive he was on and off of street,but he finally bought his own.
well,7 days go by and the bike is totaled with him almost going over the top of the over pass.he didnt take time to learn.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
There is an old axiom in roadracing that I forgot to share with you "first you get smooth then you get fast", just work on the smooth part the rest will come.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Squid

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking into the schools the cycle through at VIR which is about 2 hours from me. The 2 day class with CA superbike school seems like it would be a blast! I am definitely taking my time to learn and am very aware of my limits. If anyone here lives near Richmond VA and wants to ride and throw out some pointers I'm always up for a ride.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, just thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I just put my 20 y/o on a gsxr but made him wait to get his riding permit til he passed the MSF riding course, which we attended together, and passed, even got asked to help with the course set ups. All and all any type of school that works with you to be a better rider is a plus, now my son and I enjoy riding around northwest arkansas together. Big plus in my eyes! Anyways enjoy your rides my friends.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
+1 Twist of the Wrist- saige.

Twist of the Wrist and Proficient Motorcycling . Got/Stilll getting alot out of the reads.

Time in the saddle with better/knowledgable riders helps lots (Riding your own Ride+).

Take your time and Ride Well.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Squid

I just got the Twist of the Wrist DVD's in the mail a couple days ago. I figured watching with the different camera angles would be more helpful than the book.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
The best and safest way to become a better rider is on the track, away from traffic, pedestrians, sign poles, curbs, ect ect ect....

A tiny mistake that can cost you your life on the street, most often has no ill effect on the race track.

You have much wider road surface if you run wide out of a turn for example, huge grass run offs (most tracks), and you will be wearing all the safety gear you might not feel like wearing on the street.

I know racing/track riding has improved my street riding 100%. Not only the skills I've learned and how to handle the bike, but the mental aspect of respecting what you are riding ect. My street riding has toned down a lot too now that I get my speed jollies out on the track.