General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Base MSF BRC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
Base MSF BRC.

Just took the Basic Riders Course today (which is mandatory if you wish to ride on military bases) and I must say I was fairly disappointed with the quality of this course. I've been riding for a few so this was just a check in the box for me, but there were a few that have never ridden a motorcycle in their life. The Class portion was terrible. I'm a Fire Instructor II so I know what is and isn't a good class.

Then we got to the range (riding portion) and he moved so fast through all of the exercises that the new guys couldn't have gotten much out of the course in general.

I hope the sport bike course and ERC are better.

Oh this course is contracted on base to Cape Fox a civilian company.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
I took mine at Fort Bragg, through a different civilian contracted company and I would say that it was an excellent class for me; a noob to this whole riding thing.

And maybe the Army regs are different than the USMC ones, but the BRC is a mandatory course for anyone in the army who wishes to ride a two-wheeled vehicle, regardless of where they are going to be riding it.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been riding for 12 years now. I took the MSF BRC when I first started riding. This spring I took the MSF BRC, because in the CG it is manditory if we ride. - Lost my origional card

I thought that the course was a good review, although not challenging. I was really impressed with the updated course material, the course content and the instructors. For a beginner there is a large amount of material, crammed into three days. I would recommend it to anyone.

I also took the Street Smarts and the ERC (for the first time) this summer too. The ERC had 3 participants in it, including myself. I got a good bit out of it.

Long story short my experiences inspired me to look into the ridercoach program. I was going to put in for the ridercoach program this fall, but I found out we are PCS'ing to Jacksonville in July. I have allready looked into it in Florida.

Now if I can only convince my new command let me go.....ideas anyone?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
I have been riding for 12 years now. I took the MSF BRC when I first started riding. This spring I took the MSF BRC, because in the CG it is manditory if we ride. - Lost my origional card

I thought that the course was a good review, although not challenging. I was really impressed with the updated course material, the course content and the instructors. For a beginner there is a large amount of material, crammed into three days. I would recommend it to anyone.

I also took the Street Smarts and the ERC (for the first time) this summer too. The ERC had 3 participants in it, including myself. I got a good bit out of it.

Long story short my experiences inspired me to look into the ridercoach program. I was going to put in for the ridercoach program this fall, but I found out we are PCS'ing to Jacksonville in July. I have allready looked into it in Florida.

Now if I can only convince my new command let me go.....ideas anyone?

Hopefully I'll be in Jacksonville this fall for recruiting duty, we should go ride.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by usmc7051
Hopefully I'll be in Jacksonville this fall for recruiting duty, we should go ride.
Sounds good to me!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It's a shame that your experience wasn't all that great. I've been a Navy MSF instructor for 13 years. Now that the contractor has it I've seen some good ones and bad ones. For example, last year I invited the contractor for a ride after the class. I chose a relatively twisty country road around a local lake. I was riding sanely and only 10 over, as I normally would with someone I don't know, not to mention I was in the MSF "zone" of street riding. This dude was so ****** slow I couldn't believe it. Granted, the 1000 Hurricane he was on wasn't the fastest or best handling, but damn.... At one point I waited almost 5 minutes at an intersection for him! So after that experience, I'm fairly confident that some of these instructors might be able to ride the exercises well at parking lot speeds but can't ride for **** in the real world.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Greg, was his name Shane? It has to be. No way two contractors could be riding Hurricanes. He's our MSF instructor here in Groton. He'll tell you it's "hell on wheels" in a straight line though. He loves that damned bike, and it's huge rear disc, "they don't put anything near that big on current bikes". LOL

It's a small, small world.

I took the BRC here in Groton, I got a lot out of it. I did it on my enduro though. May 7th, I'm signed up for the mandatory Streetbike course. They paved a new lot for us to ride on, no tar snakes. Hopefully, we'll get some good traction out of the new surface.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
The instructors that taught the course for Camp Lejeune did a great job. I was one of the younger guys in the class, but a few minutes on the range and they were quick to comment to say it wasn't my first time on a bike. Thankfully, everyone in the class has ridden before, so we didn't have to learn how to walk before we did anything. We did, however, have a couple of the classic HD guys that said they've been riding for years, and couldn't make a simple u turn on the little 250s.