General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Backfire through airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Parental Deviant
Squid

punkwood2k is on a distinguished road
Backfire through airbox?

I run a stock '01 Hawk. I think it is low on power (it wont power wheelie, even in 1st). However, I live in Denver, at 6000' above sea level, so I know I wont be making the horses you lower elevation guys get.
Occasionally when I blip the throttle, the engine just stumbles, and it backfires through the airbox.

Could this be caused by running too rich, due to the thin air / incorrect jetting? What else could be causing it? Also, anyone else from high altitude have the low power I get, or might it just be my bike needs a trip to the Dr.?

ps.. New to this board.. I'm Justin.. this is my 6th bike, and the best so far. Glad to meet you guys.

Last edited by punkwood2k; 09-10-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
what mods do you have... after market exhaust and it will do it...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
When cars had carburetors GM made high altitude models for the Denver/Rocky Mountain area. I don't think Honda did that with their motorcycles. Carbureted vehicles run richer at altitude, and the stock Superhawk runs lean. I know that my VTR which before shimming the needles would sometimes stall at almost every stop light and surge and pop at low speeds while near sea level, but would run GREAT above 2,000 and up to 6,000 feet in the mountains. Not a single burp.

So unless you are well versed in carb work, a trip to a good shop that knows carbs should solve your problems.

Also some members have had problems with TPS adjustment or failure. That could be the problem as well, and relatively easy to fix. You just need an ohmmeter. Do a search under "TPS adjustment".
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
When I bought mine new the dealership jetted it for 6000ish feet (whatever their height was). The thing has run as good as I think it can, I really have to hold on in first gear to NOT get it to wheelie. I'm good keeping both wheels on the ground =)

Up around 13k it backfires like crazy if I downshift, but otherwise it runs great! I'm all stock except for 6x 1/4inch holes drilled in the back of each exhaust pipe (partial bafflectomy?)

Edit: Welcome to what I think is the most fun mountain twisty bike Justin!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by skoshere
what mods do you have... after market exhaust and it will do it...
No engine / exhaust mods really, just a bafflectomy and +2.. thats all.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Idles fine but when you blip the throttle in anticipation of the light, it pukes. Mine does the same is rich. Goes away in the winter time.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jonnyd
When I bought mine new the dealership jetted it for 6000ish feet (whatever their height was). The thing has run as good as I think it can, I really have to hold on in first gear to NOT get it to wheelie. I'm good keeping both wheels on the ground =)

Up around 13k it backfires like crazy if I downshift, but otherwise it runs great! I'm all stock except for 6x 1/4inch holes drilled in the back of each exhaust pipe (partial bafflectomy?)

Edit: Welcome to what I think is the most fun mountain twisty bike Justin!
up around 13k it backfires like crazy? This is not an inline four jon. You may be up against the rev limiter or floating the valves. I don't believe you benefit from running high RPMS with the Hawk, but it's your party.

Last edited by nath981; 09-11-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981

up around 13k it backfires like crazy? This is not an inline four jon. You may be up against the rev limiter or floating the valves. I don't believe you benefit from running high RPMS with the Hawk, but it's your party.
13k FEET This may not be an inline 4, but it IS Colorado! And yeah, mine makes all KINDS of racket (exhaust) when engine braking coming down from about 9k RPM's. Backfired a couple times and the guy in front of me on his inline 4 was looking down at his bike! We had a good laugh later =)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
/\ I was gonna say, if you're running 13k RPMS on your Superhawk, I want to know how.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Syclone
/\ I was gonna say, if you're running 13k RPMS on your Superhawk, I want to know how.
I think to do that you first need a Gixxer sticker, and then several bottles of NOS as bought from a gas station.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:27 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Syclone
I think we can do it..........once, moneyshifting down a hill
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
13k FEET This may not be an inline 4, but it IS Colorado! And yeah, mine makes all KINDS of racket (exhaust) when engine braking coming down from about 9k RPM's. Backfired a couple times and the guy in front of me on his inline 4 was looking down at his bike! We had a good laugh later =)
oh, feet. Forgive my lack of intuition. In that case, you might be a prime candidate for an FI bike. Scared the hell out of your riding buddy on the quiet bike. That's funny!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Trust me... If you had been in front, he'd be even more scared... Usually if it' dark out, those "pops" are accompanied by a nice little flame...
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
my buddy can attest to the flame... he thought it was going to catch his bike aflame... I have had some strange "anticipation" backfires coming from the carbs on occasion. Just enough to startle you, rich right?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You need to rejet for higher altitude. Start with adjusting the mixture screws in 1/4 turn. You may want to consider smaller main jets too. Above all, get the carbs syncronized. That may help the majority of your problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
You need to rejet for higher altitude. Start with adjusting the mixture screws in 1/4 turn. You may want to consider smaller main jets too. Above all, get the carbs syncronized. That may help the majority of your problem.
Yeah, I'm going to synch the carbs on Sunday.. Have a big rally on Saturday (3B's, Beer Bikes n Babes). Its a poker run between 8 strip clubs, with free admission. Not going to miss that.. lol.

My exhaust pops when I close the throttle too. I like it though.. Sounds like my old Two Brothers pipes.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Please hold the beer part until the bike part is done with.

The popping on decel is from the PAIR system.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Parental Deviant
Squid

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Please hold the beer part until the bike part is done with.

The popping on decel is from the PAIR system.
Copy that on the Beer part.. I like my Hawk too much to do anything that stupid.. Besides, who drinks at 8 in the morning? lol

The PAIR system.. I've read the threads about removing it, a relic of CA emissions, right? Does removing it have any benefits besides a couple ounces of weight savings?