General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anyone owned/ridden a V-Max?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Squid

sparky is on a distinguished road
Anyone owned/ridden a V-Max?

Thinking about adding a V-Max to my stable,but I have never ridden one. Nor do I know anyone who has one.I commute 80 miles one way to work and am looking for some:neutral: thing a little more comfy for commuting,yet still fun!!! I have checked out the V-Max forums but they are somewhat biased!I love my my 02 shawk but I would like to throw a power cruiser in the mix.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
@#$% i wished i owned a VMAX...heavy as hell but torque up the ****!! and they sound oh so manly..haha. not much for twisties or gas mileage but hey the superchicken isnt all that in the twisties or mileage either and WE ALL STILL LOVE THEM!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I have my SuperHawk for the twisties, I have my KLR for my commuting, and when I graduate from college I will have my V-Max to complete my stable. One thing I've noticed about the V-Max no matter what the year they seem to be one of the few bikes that has really held it value and the owners take alot of pride in their Vmax's. It's not the best in the turns but it can hang with the best of them in the straights and if you ever heard one it sounds absoutely delicious
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
An R1 or any of the latest literbikes will eat it for lunch. I spoke with a guy just this evening at the Dunkin Donuts about his VMax. He says it's downright scary in turns and on the brakes. He also says it's pretty heavy. If you want to take that project on, go for it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:17 AM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
My buddy has a '86 ZX-10 and an '85 V-Max, both bone stock. For a few years I didn't have a bike for various reasons. But 5 us go on 2 decent road trips a summer so he let me take the V-Max for many years. I've logged some serious miles on it and I dispute the handling claims.

Does it handle like a SHawk or a sportbike, no. But once you learn the weight and center of gravity you can toss it around pretty well. And the power? Holy V-boost batman!!!

Now I will agree that it is not a luxury tourer but you can shift your seating positions during long rides and get through it. The range is about 80-100 miles on a tank depending on your right wrist. Similarly to the SHawk, it's a great time to pull in to the gas station and stretch.

Invest in Corbin and you're set. Luggage could be another issue but a backrest with rack works pretty well. Bungying anything to the rear seat is a pain when you get to the fuel stops.

Well that's all I know. Other than you having to fill up on each end of your commute I think you'd love the bike. Just remember it is what it is.