General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?

I'm thinking about getting a Hawk GT (circa 1989-1991) to compliment my superhawk.

It's a 650 v-twin, popular outside the U.S., but only sold here for a few years.

I know there's a forum for them, but thought I'd get an idea on how they ride from someone that is also used to the Superhawk. I've ridden an SV650, is it similar to that in feel/power?

I'm looking for something nimble, lightweight, maybe even slow looking, and unique is preferable as long as it doesn't mean I have to pay 10x more for everything. Power isn't a concern or priority. The Hawk GT seems to fit the bill.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 09-14-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hell yeah!! Get one if you have the chance. I loved mine. I could flog it 9.5/10ths.
Name:  DSC02404.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  108.7 KB

Granted they are getting old, so she'll need some extra love . The forks are relatively easy to rebuild, the bushings are cheap @ the local stealership. Power on the other hand is very anemic. Your lookin' at around 40-45hp if I remember correctly. I had a Muzzy slip-on w/ a Dynojet kit & k&n, which helped signifigantly. Braided lines are a must, the oem rubber has to be shot by now. Here's a 4-sale pic when I had it.
Name:  DSC02562.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  63.2 KB

The only other draw back is range. You're looking @ 100 miles between pit stops, which sucked. It's more upright than the VTR and you could easily go a lot longer.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...hawk-****.html

Check out my pics on Speedzilla.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Central Coaster - There were two for sale in the San Diego area not to long ago....
Mira Mesa and the college area. I almost pulled the trigger on the one in Mira Mesa, but ended up replacing the kitchen fridge......
Keep an eye on the local craigslist
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It will be slower than a SV650 (by a fair bit) but it is a good little bike.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I own an '88 HawkGT and love it. While they don't have as much power as SV650, they are pretty nimble and easy to throw into corners. The balance of the whole bike is nice. Very neutral feeling; Low and compact. I used to ride it regularly years ago, but now my wife rides it mostly. At about 20 years old they are all a bit long in the tooth these days; I'm in the process of a rebuild on ours. Parts are still available for them from Honda and are not any more expense than those for the Superhawk.

As mentioned reworking the front forks is a must. The rest is livable but you can of course benefit from a rear shock upgrade, stainless lines or a front end swap to get dual discs. If you ever wanted more power you can look into jetting, exhaust and or a 700cc kit.

Quick stock specs:
HP: 40bhp
Torque: 31 ft/lbs
Top Speed: 115 mph
0-60: 4 secs
MPG: 45-50
Gears: 5 Spd.
Engine: 647cc 52 degree V-Twin
Rake: 27
Trail: 112
wheel base: <1430mm
Seat Height: ~30"
Front Brake: 1 2-Pot unit with 315mm disc
Wet Weight: 415 lbs

Last edited by Moto Man; 09-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine had a number of them that I rode, they are nice bikes.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
SuperSport

Damn. 100 mile range could be a deal killer. It's a 3 gallon tank. My Suzuki GS500 is the same way (3.3).

What's the point of a comfy seat if I have to stop for gas so often? I do 150 miles on every tank on the Superhawk.

I guess I can still use it for commuting and canyon runs, our runs are usually around 150 miles and they stop for gas halfway. I was hoping for better fuel economy and range though. I guess the Superhawk is okay for touring, I've already invested in the windscreen, saddlebags and throttle lock.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SD Hawk
Central Coaster - There were two for sale in the San Diego area not to long ago....
Mira Mesa and the college area. I almost pulled the trigger on the one in Mira Mesa, but ended up replacing the kitchen fridge......
Keep an eye on the local craigslist
Yeah, I saw this fully restored one in white, looked killer, for $4k. Pricey, but I would paid that much had I seen it a week before I did.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a '90 Hawk GT. It's modded slightly. Racetech springs and emulators, Fox Twin Clicker, pod filters and jetted for the M4 full system. Not a bad little runner but even with the mods it's at best 50-55 hp. Of course hp isn't everything I spent this past Sunday chasing down and passing I-4 liter bikes and big dollar Ducs at a track day at Beaverun on my bone stock Super Hawk. I normally ride in the "I" group and did again this weekend. The SH is just slightly slow for "A". Only 98hp at the crank.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Squid

SuperLoud
I miss my Hawk.
Great bike - a little short on power, suspension needs work but a lot of fun.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:48 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
This same question came up here awhile back. In the early 90's a friend of mine had one and I got to ride it quite a bit. Kinda fun bike but waaaay too slow to keep my interest.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Superstock

kmm996
My first official "street bike" was a 1990 Hawk GT. Met my wife on it. Sold it after one year, thinking I wanted to go play with mini trucks. Wish I still had it. It was a lot of fun and a little unique.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The nimbleness of my wife's SV650S makes my VTR feel like a Harley (well not quite). And the power is mostly on top. I've never hit the rev limiter on my VTR, but I've hit it on my wife's SV in 1st and 2nd more than once. The power curve is not as steep as an I-4, but more top end rush than a SuperHawk, with much less torque down low.

There must be a few SV's out there for a decent price, unless you're really set on a Hawk. I really like the looks of that red one.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Yeah it's easy to find the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd on the Hawk GT as well. But It makes its power more even and a bit lower down than the SV.

You will get more for your money by getting an SV. You should be able to find and old SV650 for about $3500, but Ssorted good Hawk GTs are getting harder to find and don't usually sell for less than $3K. Recently I have been seeing decent Hawks that have some upgrades for sale in the $2K range though.

Even though the SV650 is a more modern bike with better range and MPG, IMHO the Hawk handles and looks better than a SV650. The SV650 is a great bike, but The Hawk GT is a timeless work of art with a perfect balance of function and form. The Hawk is likely to go up in value in the future as a unique collectible, because in addition to the cool looking SSS, it had the naked look, mass centralization and a shorty exhaust many years ahead of its time.

Here are a couple of pics of nicely reworked Hawks...
Attached Thumbnails Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?-nice-grey-hawk-94k.jpg   Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?-hawk-ducati-monster-seat.jpg  

Last edited by Moto Man; 09-25-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Lifttruck
I have a '90 Hawk GT. It's modded slightly. Racetech springs and emulators, Fox Twin Clicker, pod filters and jetted for the M4 full system...
Yes - this is an old thread, but one can hope. I just put a full M4 on my 88 Hawk. With it went on a Factory 1.0 jet kit (already had a HiFlow filter as per JDH). They recommend 45 pilots, which seemed rich, so I stuck with the 42s. If you see this thread, what did you end up at with jets?

OP - did you ever get your Hawk? They are sooo much fun! Thanks. JB
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
I have ridden both the SV650 and the Hawk GT (was actually looking into one before I picked up the SH) and prefer the SV650 for comfort, power, and range. The Hawk is definitely unique and may well increase in value, but if you want something light and flickable to hop on and go then you're probably better off putting your hard earned cash money into an SV.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
i have one and it's up for sale as we speak due to picking up a cherry sh. i am just not built right for the bike and would be all cramped up in little riding. great bike, little short on power, but killer in the twisties. here kitty kitty
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Great bike. I had an '88 NT650 which I kept until about 2003. It went to a good home after I'd put about 85,000 km. on it. The range wasn't much of a handicap. I rode from Hamilton, Ontario to Mid-Ohio and back the same day a couple of times and once each from Hamilton to Brainerd and Road America. The suspension upgrades included Racetech springs, Gold Valve emulators and a WP shock. The motor had a Dynojet kit, K+N filter and a Supertrapp exhaust system. Beautiful, forgiving handling. No fairing but it was comfortable at highway speeds with clip-ons. I took it for one last ride before it was sold. It was in such great shape that I had become more concerned about tossing it down the road than just having fun on it. I'm very glad I owned the Hawk but the VTR is a more interesting and challenging motorcycle.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
here is a pic of my lil one that is leaving the coop. i will miss her.
Name:  100-0001_IMG_2.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  210.5 KB
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
My 88 NT650

Great lil bike. I had mine modded a bit and it put out close to 50hp & 40ftlbs at the rear wheel. As was said, with the forks tweaked and a decent rear shock, it was a blast to ride. I'm sorry I let it go with only 65k miles on it it still ran a leak down of less than 4%. Loved the Proarm rear end, made wheel changes and chain adjustment a breeze. I mixed & matched plastic and had a Targa Tsunami fairing that worked well. great urban assault weapon but could still "tour" at 47 mpg. I still have a bunch of parts available for sale.
Attached Thumbnails Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?-88-ba-hawk-gt-l.jpg   Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?-88-ba-hawk-gt.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 05-11-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
I had a red '89 Hawk GT (NT650) with a SuperTrapp before my VFR, nice little bike, with the emphasis on little. Compact and light, it handled nicely with Progressive fork springs or a cbr fork swap (you also gained the dual discs), and could be massaged to make upwards of a whopping 65-70 hp. Very popular with the club racers in the lightweight and middleweight classes, until the SV was introduced, which had more hp right off the showroom floor. Haven't seen one on the track in more than a few years. They had gotten dirt cheap for a while, but are going back up in price, for clean examples. Like the SH, the Hawk seemed to be more popular as a used bike, than they were when new.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slapi01
here is a pic of my lil one that is leaving the coop. i will miss her.
I've seen photos of your's on the Hawk forum? - real nice! What kind of bug screen is that? Thank you. JB
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Squid

crazy1 is on a distinguished road
i sold mine a little over a year ago, really regret doing it now
a cbrF3 tank fits very easilly to help the 100 mile range prob

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, there was a great piece in Motorcycle Consumer News about a year ago on a guy's Hawk that had been extensively "improved." Look for it if you get one.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Squid

daysaroonie is on a distinguished road
Parts for nt650 hawk

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Great lil bike. I had mine modded a bit and it put out close to 50hp & 40ftlbs at the rear wheel. As was said, with the forks tweaked and a decent rear shock, it was a blast to ride. I'm sorry I let it go with only 65k miles on it it still ran a leak down of less than 4%. Loved the Proarm rear end, made wheel changes and chain adjustment a breeze. I mixed & matched plastic and had a Targa Tsunami fairing that worked well. great urban assault weapon but could still "tour" at 47 mpg. I still have a bunch of parts available for sale.
I would be interested in a list of parts for sale, What do you have?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daysaroonie
I would be interested in a list of parts for sale, What do you have?
Check your PM's
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Reviving an older thread. Same situation as the OP. 1990 HawkGT NT650. About 10K miles. Never down/ridden in the rain(according to the owner). Cosmetically good but has not been run in 4 years. Regularly serviced till then, always garaged. According to owner needs: new tires, battery, and probably carbs cleaned. It was stored with a full tank of gas. He said the tank looks fine and the gas good(?= )- I guess its better than a rusted tank. Hasn't run it because the battery died. He said that he is too old now to ride a sportbike, is why he is selling it. He wants $1000(firm-a fair price according to him). What do you folks think?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Just an update on my post. Owner e-mailed me to tell me the bike has been sold.
Not a big thing as I replied to the seller. After doing searches and research I am more inclined toward the SV650 if anything else at all. Might do a naked projct on the VFR now that I got my MCCTs in.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

You missed out! The price on these little birds is going up! I saw a real nice one locally for $3650!

Quick Reply: Any of you superhawk owners also ridden a Hawk GT?