General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anyone have a Can Am Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a Can Am Spyder?

I'm looking at a Spyder...any one own one of these, and if so, what are your thoughts? Cheers!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If you're doing mostly county roads, state roads, provincial roads - call Martha Stewart! Hahaha!

The Superhawk is best around town, the county or two, and the adjacent areas of decadence.

If I wanted a "motorcycle experience" that was great for the Interstates these machines are the cat's cookies. What a blast! I've seen one up close and it's all there.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
my friend who happens to be a girl... has one... looks good on her
j/k might as well save some money and ride and ATV, handles the same just a little faster. well i suppose street legal too.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
might as well save some money and ride and ATV, handles the same just a little faster. well i suppose street legal too.
i rode one last week. thats it in a nutshell it is a ATV for the street. when you're riding it you can't tell that it only has one wheel out back. the only thing that is motorcycle-esque is the wind in your face, unless you get the full-dresser, then theres nothing about it like a bike. The handling is really tight and sensitive and it wants to cruise around 5k rpm. pretty sluggish when you get on it but the 990 rotax v-twin sounds nice with aftermarket pipes. they should have put a 1500 in it, IMHO. I would only buy one if I was crippled and couldn't ride anything else, or if I was a millionaire and could afford a variety of toys.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
They dont lean in the corners, they stay upright, nuff said!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have ridden them, I gotta say they are one of the better go-karts available. Loads of fun.

Not a motorcycle though.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Is that one of those convertible cages with the missing wheel in the back?

Last edited by AngryOlaf; 05-11-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:56 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I tested one for a couple of weeks two summers ago (when I was working for a bike rag). In terms of what it`s designed to do (and that is, offer a "wind in your face" alternative for sports car buffs, or anyone who either cannot or will not ride a bike) it is great. The numerous computers on board babysit the thing and limit the fun that can be had however (but keep the ambulance-chasing lawyers at bay). The seat is ultra-comfortable and the riding position is semi-porty. It handles well generally (although it doesn`t lean and generates substantial G forces in the corners, particularly challenging for passengers) although the three tracks cause it to wander slightly on uneven pavement. Wind (and rain) protection is fairly good, exceptionally so for the lower body and legs. The engine is well calibrated and pulls well although IMO it could use more power given the weight of the vehicle. While fairly smooth, the low gearing makes the engine spin just shy of 5500 rpm at 65 mph, and vibration makes the bars tingle.

Would I trade my bike for one? no Would I make room in a large garage for one (to complement my collection of bikes,...)? yes
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
Would I trade my Hawk for one? No. Would I add one to my collection? In a hearbeat! They look good, are comfortable and perform reasonably well. I'd love to have one cause I'm only good for 200 miles on the Hawk.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Rode a friends and wanted off right away. Felt really odd in the corners where the outside wheel feels like it wants to come up, but the nanny circuits keep it down. That said I see LOTS of them in around here.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, unless you are a woman or disabled in some way, get a real bike. Even a Harley would suffice.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If I wanted three wheels and an motorcycle engine I'd choose the T-Rex... But I still say two wheels beats three...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
so, may I ask you gentlemen a question? If you guys are down on the spyder are you down on all trikes or just that 1? not that I have 1 (cant afford) but was considering building 1 out of my '81 goldwing
Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I'm not a big fan of trikes either. However, being home built by one's self adds much street cred in my book.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
If I wanted three wheels and an motorcycle engine I'd choose the T-Rex... But I still say two wheels beats three...
My son works with a guy who had a T-Rex (wrecked it recently...pun?). I didn't like how it looked but saw a Speed show where some guy was flailing one. Looked like a blast. Major downside is price. I'd go for a Dax with a turbo'd 'busa and that extra rear wheel. No modern Morgan for me, those guys used to put a glove down on the corners! I have no problem with trikes or sidecars. Might put one on Baby someday so the dogs can ride!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by offroad_rider2008
so, may I ask you gentlemen a question? If you guys are down on the spyder are you down on all trikes or just that 1?
As a motorcyclist the thing that I enjoy the most is the corners. I like leaning myself and/or the motorcycle into a corner. With the trikes you don't do that.

As previously mentioned I can see the use for a trike if you are have a disability, are elderly or can't support the weight of a motorcycle. Some wind in the face is better than no wind at all.

One trike that I would like to ride is the Piagio MP3. This scooter will lean over in a corner, inspite of having it being a trike. I also hear that it has a 500cc engine. So no I am not "down on all trikes".
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by peterpanic
My son works with a guy who had a T-Rex (wrecked it recently...pun?). I didn't like how it looked but saw a Speed show where some guy was flailing one. Looked like a blast. Major downside is price. I'd go for a Dax with a turbo'd 'busa and that extra rear wheel. No modern Morgan for me, those guys used to put a glove down on the corners! I have no problem with trikes or sidecars. Might put one on Baby someday so the dogs can ride!
Actually I'd like to own an Atom... That's pure fun... I had a play with one on track a while back... And that thing is scary fast, and so controllable it's ridiculous...
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Back Marker

Cool

Y'know, if Atom's were street legal in Canada I'd rob a bank to get one...I agree they are the dogs! In the UK I had a Lotus 7 and that thing was THE best car I ever had.
The Can Am Spyder appeals coz it's different, and to be honest, so many tricks in terms of ABS / TSC / ESC blah blah...but that kind of techonology impresses me no end.
I'm booked to have a test ride this weekend. I'll probably just trade my Buell rather than let go of the VTR.....let the Bank carry the debt
Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
The only thing I didn't like about the one I rode was how low it was. You can't see around anything and it made me question how visible you are to all the cagers. Though I guess I wasn't much lower than I would be riding a cruiser.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
MotoGP

Can-Am should fit the 1170 cc DOHC triple they currently offer in some Ski-Doo sleds in the Spyder. Laid down in the frame, not only would it lower the CG, but it would up power significantly (rated at 130+hp in the sled) and run a lot smoother too. Time will tell I guess....
Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

The Spyder is $13,000 on an 08 with 9,000 kms. I'm trying to keep the VTR and sell the Buell...a (Spyder) test ride at the weekend should tell me if it's for me.
The main reason I would buy it is that the wife will ride on the back of the Spyder, but I wouldn't want her on the back of the VTR.....
As an aside, the insurance, fully comp, is less than the VTR with basic coverage. I guess all the 'save me' toys must reduce the risk?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

Not really... They turn a decently fun three wheeled vehicle in to a half comfortable and competent touring machine... Not less risky though...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Back Marker

Good point! The Spyder I have in mind is the RS - the basic, sport version with the 5 speed manual. I don't care for the touring version...just not for me...
I was surprised, though, that the trike was cheaper to insure than the VTR....
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

Your wife may find hanging on in the corners to be quite a chore....