General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

anyboby use por 15/20?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
anyboby use por 15/20?

some use tape exhaust, some get ceramic coating, but i wonder how this product would work. I bought some for rust control on an old van and read on accompanied paperwork that it can be put on the inside as well as the outside of exhaust pipes and mufflers. It can be applied inside but using a piece of sponge or similar on a wire. It dries to a hard shiny durable finish. When i take my pipes off the next time, I'm gonna try it on the inside and definitely do the inside and outside of my XR.

Anybody have any experience with this product?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Dont put it on the inside, you will be shrinking the ID of the pipes. Experiment on outside first to at least see whats doin'
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
I have used this product in the past, but not on exhaust level temperatures. We have used it to coat the inside of the end bells on the condensers of our Trane Centravac CVHE Chillers. It works fantastic and is very durable if you get the surface clean and perferably down to bare metal.

As of the last three years or so, we have switched to another epoxy type paint, made by KBS coatings. It is excellent, again, if the surface is prepared properly.
They do offer an exhaust specific paint. I have spoken with the sales team and they are very helpful. There is lots of information about it under description also. Here is the link.
Xtreme Temperature Coating - High Temperature Paint - Header Paint - Stove Paint

I am going after a clean stainless look, so I planned on wet sanding and cleaning my pipes up as best I can and then coating them with clear. I orderderd the VHT flame-proof paint in Clear Satin from TCP Global SprayPaintDepot - High-Temperature-Paint

I am curious to see how it holds up. Will let you know and Good luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
I tried the VHT paint(black, with primer, full strip down an paint prep cleaner) on the bandit's pipes...sorry to say I'm not that impressed...it held up alright, but areas that came in contact with the elements, like the front bottom portion, an the very top of the header has begun to rust a little bit. I assume because of rocks an road debris... My advice? If you don't mind re-doing it every season or two, go for it. Or get it jet coated. That's the best....
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Never used it on exhaust but I have used POR 15's gas tank coating and was very happy with it. It was a like a plastic liner and seemed much for durable and long lasting than that Kreem stuff.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Dont put it on the inside, you will be shrinking the ID of the pipes. Experiment on outside first to at least see whats doin'
yeah you're right. Seems that the hard shiny surface should flow better, but don't know for sure.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Squid

RobtheDrummer is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you did your whole bike, that you wouldn't show up on radar detectors? Stealth bomber style....lol
Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RobtheDrummer
I wonder if you did your whole bike, that you wouldn't show up on radar detectors? Stealth bomber style....lol
you wouldn't have that fast yellow color anymore, so you probably wouldn't need to worry about radar anymore. You might get better fuel mileage with the slippery finish of por15 though.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Prolly increase your speed fast enough to burn johnny law in a pinch, lol