another new guy (in sf,ca)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM
cmw
Squid

cmw is on a distinguished road
another new guy (in sf,ca)...

all-

just picked up a 98 superhawk on thursday... 8800 miles, two bros pipe, dont know about the jetting but it feels like it could use a little work. after 14 years on a hawk 650 i felt i was ready for a little, or a lot, more bike. the superhawk certainly fits the bill. more than twice the hp, 1/3 more brakes and relativley modern suspension... it's like a whole new world.

having ridden the bike a few times now i have a question...

the bike starts easily, warms up nicely and runs well... all with a little bit of choke. after reaching a proper temperature (one mark on the therm) i push the choke all the way back in and i start to get a stutter when i am feathering the throttle, ie, in traffic or coming off throttle (around 4k). this doesnt happen at all if i am on the throttle or completely off, just when i'm in between. also if i leave the choke open, just a little, the situation is resolved.

i took it to my shop and they seem to think it is merely a "low-end misfire" and nothing to worry about. said it was good buy for the price, did a nut and bolt inspection, flushed the brakes and clutch and sold me some new tires. i should probably not be too concerned but, alas, i am.

any thoughts?

-cmw