General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Do you think it is a slur?
Yes
37.74%
No
62.26%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only who thinks that Superchicken

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
I have always called it a "THUNDER CHICKEN" .
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by poorider
I notice on the left it says 'Squid' I don't want be 'Squid'.
But you don't mind being called "poor rider"?
Ha! Ha! (I guess some riders are more secure than others.)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

Yeah, I don't care much for the Superchicken tag, but I don't think it's ever meant as an insult, by anyone with a clue about bikes & riding.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 03-13-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I never called it a Super Hawk at first. It kind of grew on me later.

Chickens are stupid animals that get their heads chopped off.

They would have sold a lot more VTR1000Fs than they sold Super Hawks, or Firestorms.

They call the big CBRs Fireblades, another dumb name, but the small CBR is a CBR.
I don't think they need pet names. I liked the Hurricane. That was kinda cool, but it went away pretty fast.

I thought it was "poo rider".
Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
idiot
Squid

poorider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I

I thought it was "poo rider".
Poo or Poor it means I am not very good at it. I think i am too big for the bike.
I have Sw-Motech mirror extenders now. What goes on behind is quite interesting!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
If I call it a Superchicken then it's a term of endearment if a harley rider calls it a Superchicken it's a fight!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by poorider
Poo or Poor it means I am not very good at it. I think i am too big for the bike.
I have Sw-Motech mirror extenders now. What goes on behind is quite interesting!
Just messing with you.
Don't worry about being "good" at it. Just think about being smooth, relaxed and alert. And avoid tying to hang with faster riders. Ride your pace and let them go.

Mirrors are mostly to see who's beside you when changing lanes. Also for staying alert to people coming up behind you when stopped. The rest of the time, it's what's in front of you that counts.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
just say VTARRRRRRRR
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
The guys at the honda shop all ways call it a chicken.Everyone I've ever met at the "bridge" has called it a hawk.I take it as a uneducated slurr based on raw numbers.All though I do enjoy being underestimated.
Attached Thumbnails Am I the only who thinks that Superchicken-11-25-07-bridge.jpg  
Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Yes it's what those who like to look down on the bike call it.. I heard just that the first week i owned mine.. I was at a BBQ joint getting lunch.. Some "real Sport Bike riders" made the comment. We pulled out about the same time and as luck happened we headed for the same road,, little short route, called Lime Creek, 35 MPH speed limit, most car or bike can not do the road end to end with a 35 MPH average. No fast turns but tons of tight twisty. We went about 1 mile in to the road and I got tired of riding the brakes and riding up on um, waited for a tight turn with a short straight away... passed all three, and was at the next turn before the finished the straight (have to love that TQ) Was very sensible in my riding, all on my side of the lines, hardly scraping pegs, no stupid stuff.. I never saw them again.. Till the end.. Had my helmet off, sandwich and drink from my tank bag, and a grin on my face. They came up,,,,, stopped, said something about wow,, that’s a fast bike .. what have you done to it??? I said,,,, “well I did adjust the air pressure in the 9 year old stock tires the other day........., well and of course washed it this morning,, Why???” For some reason,,,, they did not say anything else to me... Call the VTR what you want..... I love folks thinking it is a slow, out of date, "old guy bike" Means used parts are cheaper....
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
My name isn't Casey Stoner or Danny Pedrosa. The guys who could run away from me on a twisty road, on an R1 or GSXR1000 are the same guys who could run away from me on another VTR. Or probably on a '76 RD400!
I have a 76 RD and even on a tight road my VTR will leave it in the dust. However, the RD is a hoot to ride. Now on a tight race track and well-tuned and set-up, an RD could possibly hang tough if not win out.

And I do not like the Superchicken moniker, VTR it is. I also had a 305 SH, still have the combo headlight-speedo somewhere. I hate on fleabay when looking for VTR parts I have to sift through all the 305 items.

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Yes it's what those who like to look down on the bike call it.. I heard just that the first week i owned mine.. I was at a BBQ joint getting lunch.. Some "real Sport Bike riders" made the comment. We pulled out about the same time and as luck happened we headed for the same road,, little short route, called Lime Creek, 35 MPH speed limit, most car or bike can not do the road end to end with a 35 MPH average. No fast turns but tons of tight twisty. We went about 1 mile in to the road and I got tired of riding the brakes and riding up on um, waited for a tight turn with a short straight away... passed all three, and was at the next turn before the finished the straight (have to love that TQ) Was very sensible in my riding, all on my side of the lines, hardly scraping pegs, no stupid stuff.. I never saw them again.. Till the end.. Had my helmet off, sandwich and drink from my tank bag, and a grin on my face. They came up,,,,, stopped, said something about wow,, that’s a fast bike .. what have you done to it??? I said,,,, “well I did adjust the air pressure in the 9 year old stock tires the other day........., well and of course washed it this morning,, Why???” For some reason,,,, they did not say anything else to me... Call the VTR what you want..... I love folks thinking it is a slow, out of date, "old guy bike" Means used parts are cheaper....
I tore some Ducati *** up today on hwy 129 over blood mountain in Georgia. The guy I was riding with is a buddy from work on a 500 ninja...he was giving Duc a run for his money too, again proving its not what you ride. If you cant handle your bike, why spend the $$$ on some top of the line ne plus ultra of motorcycles? The VTR is no joke. To hear people talk about them, youd think they are a step above a moped, and it pisses me off. The thing is scary fast (as fast as anyone needs, IMHO) and very nimble. The torque is insane. The thing is...its USEABLE. The only thing Ducati guy had to say to me was "What kind of bike is that?", "Man, the back tire sure seems to jump around a lot", and "Thanks for the ride, see ya".

Anyway, call it what you want, but I didnt spend $12-18k on a bike that my $5k VTR can chew the *** out of. (not to mention maintentance, etc).

in short, exactly what TXSuperChicken said....most underestimate it, but when they get their *** handed to them by "inferior, outdated technology", im sure it makes them think...they may say "superchicken", but they are thinking 'holy **** i just got spanked'.

Last edited by Condor; 03-13-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

ALso, I would have given my first born for a Hawk GT today, which, incidentally, I have never heard anyone call a "Chicken GT"
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Condor
I tore some Ducati *** up today on hwy 129 over blood mountain in Georgia. The guy I was riding with is a buddy from work on a 500 ninja...he was giving Duc a run for his money too, again proving its not what you ride. If you cant handle your bike, why spend the $$$ on some top of the line ne plus ultra of motorcycles? The VTR is no joke. To hear people talk about them, youd think they are a step above a moped, and it pisses me off. The thing is scary fast (as fast as anyone needs, IMHO) and very nimble. The torque is insane. The thing is...its USEABLE. The only thing Ducati guy had to say to me was "What kind of bike is that?", "Man, the back tire sure seems to jump around a lot", and "Thanks for the ride, see ya".

Anyway, call it what you want, but I didnt spend $12-18k on a bike that my $5k VTR can chew the *** out of. (not to mention maintentance, etc).

in short, exactly what TXSuperChicken said....most underestimate it, but when they get their *** handed to them by "inferior, outdated technology", im sure it makes them think...they may say "superchicken", but they are thinking 'holy **** i just got spanked'.
+1
Here in the blue ridge it's all corners. My buddy has an "untouchable" 250 Ninja. We ran into a guy on a LE Yamaha R1...had put over $24k into this thing. He immediately started bragging and showing it off...and wouldnt shut the hell up about his race experience at "all the best tracks!" He looked at my Hawk and the Ninja and just chuckled.........we took off and this guy could not keep up with us to save his life.
I don't care what you call my hawk...because I know I can ride it.
These days it's all about looks for these guys. Having the newest gear, newest bike. I don't care how much you spend on your bike...if you can ride it well, you have my respect.

...in short, learn to ride...and buy a superchicken! haha
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I've said it before, I think it is true every time you ride, check your ego at the door and dial terminator up a notch. You will park your bike in the garage after every ride. What ever it takes. It might look like a chicken but it walks through the garage like a dog with two dicks.

Last edited by nuhawk; 03-13-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I've said it before, I think it is true every time you ride, check your ego at the door and dial terminator up a notch. You will park your bike in the garage after every ride. What ever it takes. It might look like a chicken but it walks through the garage like a dog with two dicks.
good ****.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
It might look like a chicken but it walks through the garage like a dog with two dicks.
nice addition
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Super Chicken rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAGOMOnI0-8
Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Is calling a Ducati a Duck a slur? I have heard that more often than Super Chicken.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
I think it was said on here before, but it's one of those "I can talk **** about her, but you sure as hell can't". -I- don't use it as a slur, but with the exception of the one shop I use, most seem to be entirely unedumacated as to the true capabilities of this bike, and think that calling it "super chicken" makes up for that. Or something.

And considering a "Duc" is just short for "Ducati," I doubt that'd be considered a slur.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
Then I turn it around back at you: name one fighter with chicken in the name?
Hellooooooo......DUH!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Years ago while riding in the Blue Ridge area some guy on a ratty old UJM blew past me and was gone around the next corner. Maybe a CB750 from the late 70's perhaps? Couldn't really tell. Point is, most people wouldn't even give it a thought if they walked past it, but I'm sure he was a local, and was wringing it out proper good.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
when we were at deals gap we had a gl1200 or 1400 that was giving us the shakedown. We were behind him and he was clipping fast enough that trying to make a pass would have exceeded our riding ability and the safety of the road. He was flying for a goldwing, something that I wouldn't be doing.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
SuperBike

A group of us was riding to Laguna Seca a few years back. My friend Kevin had a new Ducati 999R Fila replica. We were on this fantastic section of highway 49, that is an endless series of corners with short straights between them. VTR territory for sure. I was leading the group, and pretty soon it was just Kevin and I. We even dragged kneepucks on a couple of corners. I was braking hard, to keep corner speeds reasonable, but a couple were really tight, hence the kneedragging. Anyway, I was squirting hard off the corners. One of the best rides I've ever done. At one point we stopped to regroup. Kevin says, "Jesus, how much horsepower does that thing have?." "About 120" , I said. He says, "No way, dude, you were pulling me coming out of the corners." I said, "The VTR makes more torque at moderate revs."

People can think what they want. VTRs are fantastic street bikes.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
i cant wait till this weekend to do something more than just commute on her .... i foresee some twisties in my future :-)
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I don't think the Japanese are very good at naming things.
That's an interesting comment considering that it's American Honda that "names" the bikes. They were Firestorms in the UK because UK Honda named those. Let's not forget that to Honda it's an MBB or C36 (ever looked at your title?).
Old 03-14-2008, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

Somebody said they missed seeing this bike on the forum.

Super Chicken my ***!

Last edited by RCVTR; 03-14-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
That's an interesting comment considering that it's American Honda that "names" the bikes. They were Firestorms in the UK because UK Honda named those. Let's not forget that to Honda it's an MBB or C36 (ever looked at your title?).

That wasn't intended to be taken seriously/literally. And before somebody brings it up, I don't actually believe the Japanese lost WWII because the Mitsubishi A6M was called (by the allies) "The Zero".
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I hate on fleabay when looking for VTR parts I have to sift through all the 305 items.
Try using this search string on eBay (might help reduce the clutter):

(Superhawk,Super Hawk,VTR*) -(VTR250,250,dream,cb*,cl*,197*,196*,305)
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
one day i will learn how to lean that far into turns .... ;-)

Quick Reply: Am I the only who thinks that Superchicken