General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

almost... there....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
almost... there....

Almost have the '98 Hawk ready to ride. I have rebuilt the clutch M/C, put new brake pads on, bled all lines (love the mity-vac!), had all the plastics painted, recovered the seat and bought a rear cowl, put a new stock air filter on (pricey!), replaced a small coolant hose, and cleaned/rebuilt the turn signal controls, which were very sticky. That turn signal control cleaning was a real learning exercise and it became an adventure after I went to put it back together and it took a few tries to finally figure it out. All I need now is a battery and some 50+ degree weather! Where do I go for that?
Attached Thumbnails almost... there....-dscn6717.jpg   almost... there....-dscn6715.jpg   almost... there....-dscn6718.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what did it look like before?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ninjagoalie
All I need now is a battery and some 50+ degree weather! Where do I go for that?

I have had good experiences with AGM battery purchases from Batteries Plus. If you can find a location nearby, I would recommend looking in that direction. As far as riding in 50 degree weather, you are in the wrong region right now... your Hawk wants to migrate SOUTH where all the other birds fly when it gets cold. Follow the flock.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Back Marker

Unhappy

Originally Posted by saige
what did it look like before?
Not too different, but the red paint on the plastics was poorly done/rough and didn't match the stock tank color very well. It had an ugly orange-ish tinge to it. I wish I had better "before" pictures.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by BeerHunter
I have had good experiences with AGM battery purchases from Batteries Plus. If you can find a location nearby, I would recommend looking in that direction. As far as riding in 50 degree weather, you are in the wrong region right now... your Hawk wants to migrate SOUTH where all the other birds fly when it gets cold. Follow the flock.
We have a Batteries Plus not far from home. Thanks for the tip. I will go out and see what they have.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Previous owner neglected to change the blinker fluid, huh? My switch was sticky too, and after I cleaned it I used teflon spray lube on all the moving parts. Good stuff, that.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Previous owner neglected to change the blinker fluid, huh? My switch was sticky too, and after I cleaned it I used teflon spray lube on all the moving parts. Good stuff, that.
do you use synthetic blinker fluid or petroleum based? I was also thinking of changing to summer air in the tires... My mechanic friend is going to give me a good deal on the changeover.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Almost have the '98 Hawk ready to ride. I have rebuilt the clutch M/C, put new brake pads on, bled all lines (love the mity-vac!), had all the plastics painted, recovered the seat and bought a rear cowl, put a new stock air filter on (pricey!), replaced a small coolant hose, and cleaned/rebuilt the turn signal controls, which were very sticky. That turn signal control cleaning was a real learning exercise and it became an adventure after I went to put it back together and it took a few tries to finally figure it out. All I need now is a battery and some 50+ degree weather! Where do I go for that?
Hey, Where in flat land are you. I live just to the east of you depending on exactly where you are. I smell group ride.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by General Maximus
Hey, Where in flat land are you. I live just to the east of you depending on exactly where you are. I smell group ride.
Hey General-

I am just south of Springfield, so not too far from Danville. Might be going out to Indy this summer and if so, I will try to look you up. If you ever come around Springpatch, let me know.
Eric
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I was also thinking of changing to summer air in the tires...
I got an insider tip from a guy who knew this dude that raced road bikes for a living. If you keep the summer air in your tires year round, then in the winter months your tires will warm up faster.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Hey General-

I am just south of Springfield, so not too far from Danville. Might be going out to Indy this summer and if so, I will try to look you up. If you ever come around Springpatch, let me know.
Eric

I bought the bike last year when I lived south of Springfield. In the Girard, Palmyra, Carlinville Triangle. We just moved this way around last Thanksgiving. I go back there all the time and will be on the Hawk quite a bit.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by General Maximus
I bought the bike last year when I lived south of Springfield. In the Girard, Palmyra, Carlinville Triangle. We just moved this way around last Thanksgiving. I go back there all the time and will be on the Hawk quite a bit.

Cool. I live in Chatham, and know that area. Let me know when you are in the 'hood.