General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Access to jets ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Access to jets ?

I am doing my CCT's this weekend and while it's apart I thought I add the shims to the jets. Do the carbs have to come off the bike to do this mod? I've read the info on adding the shims but wasn't clear about having to do so. Also, are there any other adjustments needed because of adding the shims?
Thanks as always.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
If i recall correctly, you need to pull the carbs off to get the front slide and needle out.
You should not need to disconnect the throttle cables, etc.

I bit of silicone lube on the boots makes installation easier. No other adjusments are needed. It will just richen the mixture a bit as the slides start to open.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
it's easier to lift the carbs off the boots.

btw: the shim isn't for the jets, it's for the needles.
if your bike idles fine then no other adjustments are required.

tim
Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I mis-wrote. But that answers it.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YellowBird
I am doing my CCT's this weekend and while it's apart I thought I add the shims to the jets. Do the carbs have to come off the bike to do this mod? I've read the info on adding the shims but wasn't clear about having to do so. Also, are there any other adjustments needed because of adding the shims?
Thanks as always.

If you're going to shim needles, you may want to set the air mixture and check the TPS, and maybe some other things. Stock exhausts? PAIRS? Plug resistors? Airbox?

kinda have to practice getting the diaphrams back in. They're fragile. I forget now, but i believe I put a pencil down though the middle as you gather the spring up/compress it to keep the spring from slipping out when reassembling.

when I took all that that stuff off, i did everyhting i could do in there and I'm glad I did cause it runs much better. take your time and have fun:

Oh yeah, don't forget to set up your carbs for the easy carb sync. you'll need a fitting and a piece of vac hose from Honda and some "y" vac line fittings.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You'll probably have to remove the "choke" cable from the front carb. Be very careful and patient when reinstalling this plastic fitting to the carb. It has fine threads that can strip easily, and I've read of others breaking the fitting by overtightening.

If you haven't done so already, you should download the manual for instructions on how to remove the diaphragm and slide assembly. There are several threads dealing with shimming the needles as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
You'll probably have to remove the "choke" cable from the front carb.

I didn't have to. I was able to go into the front vacuum chamber/needle simply by loosening the bands and pulling up the carb assembly. Didn't have to disconnect anything from the carbs.

If you're careful about it you can even get to the main jets without disconnecting the choke cable. If you disconnect everything but, you can twist the carb assembly over and remove the float bowls. At least I did.

I'll never deal with those cheese *** plastic choke nuts again unless I absolutely have to.

One other thing-

Once you've pulled up the carbs and put them back, you'll probably need to sync the carbs to make it run right.