General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

98' Hawk sold new in 01'?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
98' Hawk sold new in 01'?

When I bought my 1998 Hawk a few months back the original owner told me that he bought it new from the dealer in 2001. He said that there was a limited number of 98's sold new in 01' due to overproduction in 98'. He said Honda sat the 98's in a wharehouse until 2001 when they gave them to the dealers to sell as new. Anyone heard of this or verify if its true? I did a google search but found nothing.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds fishy to me, I know there were some leftovers but never heard about any being held to sell as new. Anyone else?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
It could happen, right? I mean, you can find an '05 now that hasn't ever been sold, so it's considered "new" still.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Right, like I said it could be a leftover but I've never heard of them holding them in a warehouse. Not saying it isn't a leftover just the story sounds a little fishy to me but I am very cynical.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
Typically the OEM wont release the next model year bikes until the current models have been "sold" to the dealers.

Leftover at a dealer is much more likely. Like my 2001 I bought new in 2006.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YAMAROCKET630
Typically the OEM wont release the next model year bikes until the current models have been "sold" to the dealers.
That is completely wrong. Warehouse leftovers are common in the USA. Honda was notorious for over producing in the past. They do much better now but it's still not uncommon to find them. They are called non-currents in the industry and usually can be had for a great deal.

I used to sell Honda motorcycles in the 80's and the district reps would beg us to order some. Models we drool over today: CBX's, Turbo 650's, VF1000R's. It got so bad they eventually dumped many of them on tech schools to be used as guinea pigs. You can still find them popping up today as "new bikes" (LOL!). Here's an example: http://tinyurl.com/27x79n

Many blue superhawk owners bought brand new non-currents at the crazy price of $5999.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah that could be right. The part about him actually having bought it new a few years later I mean. Never heard of bikes being "held back" on purpose though. I remember oogling over a new '98 sitting in a dealer showroom here in West Palm Beach and I believe it was also '01 because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Previous year models sit side by side all the time (well maybe not ALL the time but often enough) with current year models and are usually 1k cheaper too. But yeah that was pretty strange because the bike was also brand new w/ warranty and it was like 3 or 4 years old already, but yes I've seen it. Also saw a TL1000S advertised the same way-brand new and was also several years old.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
I have also seen bikes that have sat new on the dealer floor for 2+ years past the model year they were listed at. The "wharehouse" scenario seemed possible, just odd. Thanks for the knoweledge!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
This sounds like a simple game of "Telephone". Dealer tells Salesman that the bike is old stock, they are pulling out of the warehouse (where it has been sitting since the new model year introduction) for riding season to try to move it quickly. The Salesman tells the original buyer that they bought too many of these bikes in 98, and it has been in a warehouse, now its on the floor and for a great deal. The original owner tells the current owner that he bought this bike that Honda held in a warehouse because too many were made, but it is vertually new. The details can get further exagerated by each party because they are all trying to SELL the idea to the next guy.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by superbling
That is completely wrong. Warehouse leftovers are common in the USA. Honda was notorious for over producing in the past. They do much better now but it's still not uncommon to find them. They are called non-currents in the industry and usually can be had for a great deal.

I used to sell Honda motorcycles in the 80's and the district reps would beg us to order some. Models we drool over today: CBX's, Turbo 650's, VF1000R's. It got so bad they eventually dumped many of them on tech schools to be used as guinea pigs. You can still find them popping up today as "new bikes" (LOL!). Here's an example: http://tinyurl.com/27x79n

Many blue superhawk owners bought brand new non-currents at the crazy price of $5999.
I worked in a shop in the 80s too and you're right about that time. But it was related to the tariffs moreso than it being a common occurrence before and after.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
As bling said, this happens. Sometimes there are so many in the wharehouse that the bikes are discontinued for a year so they can clear them out. They have also been known to get "lost" in wharehouses. One local dealer found a 3 year old zx9 in the crate.

Some dealers "purchase" their bikes, instead of flooring them. Then if they don't move they just sit there. A local dealer had a Yamaha TDM on his floor for 5 years.

dale
Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I bought my 03 this year 1/2 off retail from the dealer out of the crate. Still got the 1 year factory warantny ect... Just be careful some dealers will buy damaged crate models and sell them to you but will not disclose this damage.. look hard to find defects. A great deal can be had if you just go slow.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Shipping damaged bikes get fixed and sold as new all the time. They are new. Shipping damage is pretty common.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
Originally Posted by superbling
That is completely wrong. Warehouse leftovers are common in the USA.
I stand corrected.