General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

2005 jetting ? for stock bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
2005 jetting ? for stock bike

Hello all....after a haitus for a few years I went and brought Superhawk #3 for me..it's a beautiful 2005 dark silver model..was new old stock @ a dealer in san diego.....my two early superhawks ran great...one a 97 stocker second a 2002 with full leo vinci's and dyno jet kit...
This issue I have with my new bike is that it appears to being running very lean low down??...temps run kinda hot freeway cruising 195-205...street riding 205-219.....
I do not remember this being such an issue with either of my early hawks....the bike is stock ..stockpipes and airbox and I would like to keep it that way.....after searching the forum for a hour or two..I'm thinking of adjusting the air mixtures screws and maybe popping a shim under the needles?...
Any recomendations would be great?...just looking for some base settings....I tried the above on a 2001 carbed sv650...and just with a shim under each needle and 1/2 turn extra on each mixture screw worked great..
Also I have to use the choke pretty much always to start the bike if it has sat for more than an hour...even when the temps are in the upper 80s to low 90s....thanks for any answers guys
Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Try 2 turns out on the mixture screws. Your dealer will have the tool to do it on the bike (not taking the carbs off). Takes 5 minutes, if that. If you bought the bike there they should do it for free.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Superstock

thanks for reply

I live in Los Angeles so its a bit to far to take it back to the dealer there....also my bike is a california model and would it not have the brass inserts that block of the air screws to stop you from tampering with it?....most other california bikes I have done you have to remove a brass plug before you can adjust the air screw?....therefore I have to remove the carbs...also is all the smog just a passive systems....ie: if I remove it all it will have no affect on the bike?....I would just like to junk all the smog crap...just so I have a bit more room in there around the carbs?....thanks.
So far I'm thinking.....air screw2 turns (is 1 1/2 turns out stock for a california bike?...and a 20thou shim under the carb needle?..)
Bike runs great once it get over about 3500-3700 rpm..below that is feel real lean?...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'd leave the needles alone with stock exhaust. It's already a tad rich from the factory...at least in the midrange. I'm not aware of ANY VTR carbs that have had brass plugs. All that I've ever seen are just open. The screws are "tamper-proof" though as the heads are D-shaped.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Superstock

ok

ok thanks very much....will let you know how it all pans out...off to Laguna Seca this weekend....so will try to do it the following weekend...
Once again thanks for the help.