General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

2001 vs 2002 'hawks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Squid

TheDude is on a distinguished road
2001 vs 2002 'hawks

Hello all,

Is there any difference between 2001 & 2002 superhawks? I ask because I'm considering one as my next bike, current ride is a Ninja 650R. I rode an '04 and I really like the power delivery of the Vtwin.

The '01 has 18,574 and the '02 has 6200 miles. How do these bikes do with a lot of mile, provided they have been cared for properly? What kind of miles can you expect from a 'hawk?

thank you in advance!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
'01 & '02 are identical. A well maintained hawk can reach 100k no problem...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...139966712.html

Last edited by inderocker; 04-25-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by inderocker
'01 & '02 are identical. A well maintained hawk can reach 100k no problem...
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...139966712.html
WOW Good to know. Of the two I mentioned the 01 with more miles looks
better based on the pics. Did the bike come stock with a rear seat cowel? Other than that it's listed as a stock bike. Any idea how the power of the Hawk would compare to a Duc S2R 1000??? I have ridden this bike too and loved the power but the price is really making it tough to justify and is the reason the Honda is appealing to me.

105K mile - man that is just crazy good news!!
Thanks!!

Last edited by TheDude; 04-25-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TheDude
WOW Good to know. Of the two I mentioned the 01 with more miles looks
better based on the pics. Did the bike come stock with a rear seat cowel? Other than that it's listed as a stock bike. Any idea how the power of the Hawk would compare to a Duc S2R 1000??? I have ridden this bike too and loved the power but the price is really making it tough to justify and is the reason the Honda is appealing to me.

105K mile - man that is just crazy good news!!
Thanks!!
it should probably be mentioned that while a well maintained hawk can reach very high mileage, unless you swap out the stock CCT, don't expect to make 20,000. so "well maintained" should include aftermarket CCT's. with regard to the S2R comparo, I've ridden with an S3 at a track day and they are pretty quick. but it was also tweaked quite a bit. and I think that the hawk was still a little quicker. but the S2R only has 2 valves per cylinder right? if so, then the hawk should be able to walk away from it.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by swordfish
it should probably be mentioned that while a well maintained hawk can reach very high mileage, unless you swap out the stock CCT, don't expect to make 20,000. so "well maintained" should include aftermarket CCT's. with regard to the S2R comparo, I've ridden with an S3 at a track day and they are pretty quick. but it was also tweaked quite a bit. and I think that the hawk was still a little quicker. but the S2R only has 2 valves per cylinder right? if so, then the hawk should be able to walk away from it.
Forgive my "noobness" but what is a CCT? The cost of the two in my mind is starting to say Hawk... - Thanks! BTW- yes the S2R is a 2 valve air cooled engine. The noob found it Cam Chain Tensioners! Thanks!!

Last edited by TheDude; 04-27-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheDude
Forgive my "noobness" but what is a CCT? The cost of the two in my mind is starting to say Hawk... - Thanks! BTW- yes the S2R is a 2 valve air cooled engine. The noob found it Cam Chain Tensioners! Thanks!!
best place to get your ccts = https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17585
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think we are doing a disservice telling people they wont make 20,000 miles.

most people here have not had a failure and are just panic buying.

mostly because of what they heard on the "NET".

you can save your stock cct's by learning how to downshift!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by hawxter996

As for how long the stock CCT lasts, it has been reported to last as little as 8000 miles, and some people have gone over 50,000 miles with no problem.

However for $85 + a couple hours of careful wrenching, vs possible $700+ for new valves and rebuild the heads, it sure is an easy decision in my book.

I know in my case I purchased my bike with just under 50k miles on it, and when I changed them out the engine got noticeably quieter. (and I am not talking exhaust noise here)
Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

mostly because of what they heard on the "NET".

you can save your stock cct's by learning how to downshift!

I think you're doing him a disservice if you don't warn him about the most prevelant problem with the superhawk. I don't care if the only people it happened to are on this forum cause you know what? its happened to an assload of people on this forum. seemed like every week someone's cct crashed when I first joined. are we forgetting that? I know right now its popular to question the legitimacy of the cct problem. since most of us did the smart thing and got it taken care of before it became a problem. now people say "well it hasn't happened in a while, maybe it wasn't really a problem." but its becuase we dealt with the problem that you don't have anything to talk about. but if you want to tempt fate and throw some stockers on your bike we can take turns and see how long they last. it wouldn't be fair to have you ride it yourself since, like you said, you know how to downshift. if this guy asks for advise, which do you think is more responsible? 1) telling him about the most well known, damaging, and yes consistant issues that the superhawk has and he can make the choice to play it safe or not. ooorrr 2) we could tell him that the cct probably won't be an issue, but if it is, sorry its already too late to save yourself from CERTAINTY of bent valves, broken timing gear teeth, jumped chain, and piston damage that will instantly result. oh, and it might give you warning and it might not. I guess I'm just not that much of a dick. I'm as shocked as anyone.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
to me its a cost vs cost problem, not an if it happens problem. $85 vs $1000+ if it implodes your motor. So since a fair number of people have reported it happening thats enough for me to swap em. I did mine at 45k miles. The failer spread is too erratic to ignore and unless you feel like playing russian rulet with your motor every time you ride I would replace them. Its a one time and your done kinda thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

i wonder how many are being run too tight?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

seemed like every week someone's cct crashed when I first joined. are we forgetting that?

ummm,so when did you join?

wasnt on my to notice list.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
MotoGP

Well the most recent was on the 15th:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18288

One in February:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17647

One in October:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16462

One in September:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16191

I could keep looking, but it is more like one every few months.. And this is by no means a 100% sample.. Rather just a quick search from those who are members of this site. I am sure more happen that don't know this forum exists.

All I am saying is that for my peace of mind it happens enough to be worth $85 in parts to make sure it never happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
SuperSport

seemed like every week someone's cct crashed when I first joined. are we forgetting that?

ummm,so when did you join?

wasnt on my to notice list.
it says when I joined under my avatar. and is that supposed to be a quote? so watching out for the most common issue people were having with OUR bike wasn't on your notice list huh? well I did care about my bike and the common risks to it. so it did make it onto my notice list. tell me, did the common faulty R/R problem make it onto your notice list? has anything?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

There is no point in having a big argument about it. Just be sure that you are aware of the problem and come to your own decision.

So here is the bottom line:

The CCTs are a known issue on some of these bikes, and are a relatively cheap to replace if you get them before they fail, but expensive if they fail on you first.

And with an 01 or 02 you may have the improved finned Voltage Regulator R/R or you may not. If you have the older type, this is the only other reliability "issue" with the bike.

If those things are dealt with the bikes practically last forever and are loads of fun!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
There is no point in having a big argument about it. Just be sure that you are aware of the problem and come to your own decision.

So here is the bottom line:

The CCTs are a known issue on some of these bikes, and are a relatively cheap to replace if you get them before they fail, but expensive if they fail on you first.

And with an 01 or 02 you may have the improved finned Voltage Regulator R/R or you may not. If you have the older type, this is the only other reliability "issue" with the bike.

If those things are dealt with the bikes practically last forever and are loads of fun!
Spot on!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

Originally Posted by swordfish
it says when I joined under my avatar. and is that supposed to be a quote? so watching out for the most common issue people were having with OUR bike wasn't on your notice list huh? well I did care about my bike and the common risks to it. so it did make it onto my notice list. tell me, did the common faulty R/R problem make it onto your notice list? has anything?

i replaced a coil.
other than that ,typical honda reliability.

no bad cct's no bad r/r.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 AM
SuperSport

i replaced a coil.
other than that ,typical honda reliability.

no bad cct's no bad r/r.
you are lucky. keep those fingers crossed.

Last edited by swordfish; 04-29-2009 at 10:10 AM.