General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

100 octane or 91?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
100 octane or 91?

Which is better for the superhawk, 100 octane or 91? And why? Found out I have a gas station local that has it
Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
87 because that is all it needs unless you like spending money for nothing
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
87 because that is all it needs unless you like spending money for nothing
Agreed.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
To high of octane can actually hurt performance rather than help. All you need is 87 and it will run great. The octane rating is a scale of the fuel's resistance to combustion. The higher the rating the harder it is for the fuel to combust. This is needed on high compression engines as the high compression can create enough heat to ignite the fuel and cause detonation and/or preignition. Having to high of an octane fuel in an engine can actually hurt performance in that it won't burn as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
What they said.....
Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is my bike runs like crap on low octane fuel. Run the good stuff and you'll be happy. It won't hurt the performance as some will suggest. There are other benefits to running higher octane fuel too. Just do it, your bike will thank you for it.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Squid

zanoj883 is on a distinguished road
I had ran 100 octane in my hawk, the 76 station in the next town over has VP at the pump ($9.05 gal) didn't really notice any performance changes. only time i ever felt any performance changes from fuel was when i got gas at AMPM, bike didn't like it at all. went back to shell and everything was fine. All i put in is 87.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Squid

sorny is on a distinguished road
I know 100 is definitely a waste but have always put 91/93 in my bikes. Maybe I should only be using 87?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Squid

jmathern is on a distinguished road
So, to spin off of this, how about the lower 85 here in the high country? I would like to save that extra few cents a gallon, but I don't want to hurt performance. If the manual clearly states 86, I don't see it being that drastic of a change to go up or down by one point?

I have rejet my carbs to 172/175 main jets.
~Jon
Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Squid

randysway223 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, You should just run 91 octane. 100 Octane is basically like race gas, and its so high that I don't think the bike can actually appreciate it. On CARS, having that in a turbocharged vehicle will increase the performance a lot. On bikes, I think it might just be a annoyance.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmathern
So, to spin off of this, how about the lower 85 here in the high country? I would like to save that extra few cents a gallon, but I don't want to hurt performance. If the manual clearly states 86, I don't see it being that drastic of a change to go up or down by one point?

I have rejet my carbs to 172/175 main jets.
~Jon
I'd personally run 85 in high elevation unless it was causing problems.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sorny
I know 100 is definitely a waste but have always put 91/93 in my bikes. Maybe I should only be using 87?
No. Run the premium - your engine will thank you for it.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
unless the computer can sense the type of fuel being used, or would have the ability be programmed to adjust spark to take advantage of the extra octane the difference will be nil...and there will be no performance gain by using the higher octane fuel.

If the manual calls for 87 octane, i'd use it...some cars will have a blurb that says "minimum octane 87 but performance can be increased with higher octanes ratings). I know my VW Jetta says something very similar. Turbocharged or supercharged engines running boost will require the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition and detonation, or engines with excessively high compression ratios.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
From now on I am only going to run the 90 octane RV non ethanol since I can again.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
MotoGP

Jamie, why is this? From everything I've seen and experienced (in my little world), premium gas adds no benefits to lower compression (and lower tech) motors. I'm admittedly not an expert at all, but have not been convinced as of yet...
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by randysway223
Honestly, You should just run 91 octane.
^^^^

Originally Posted by GTS
To high of octane can actually hurt performance rather than help. All you need is 87 and it will run great. The octane rating is a scale of the fuel's resistance to combustion. The higher the rating the harder it is for the fuel to combust. This is needed on high compression engines as the high compression can create enough heat to ignite the fuel and cause detonation and/or preignition. Having to high of an octane fuel in an engine can actually hurt performance in that it won't burn as well.
GTS is correct, period. Guys, do some serious research if you don't believe it. Seek the truth, it will save you money! Higher octane fuel isn't the better stuff.

Start here.

"It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner."
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
No. Run the premium - your engine will thank you for it.

Support that statement.

Last edited by Wolverine; 06-13-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

Here is some more good reading for you. E15 and Engines - Can Ethanol Damage my Engine - Popular Mechanics
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

Brothermike, not quite sure if you're just pointing out that ethanol is bad (it is), or that you should use premium. In Phoenix, and most areas, they put ethanol in everything. I'd have to ride about 30 minutes out of my way to find a station with ethanol free fuel of any sort.

The 90 octane ethanol free that you suggested is good for your motor because it is ethanol free, not because it is 90 octane...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Brothermike, not quite sure if you're just pointing out that ethanol is bad (it is), or that you should use premium. In Phoenix, and most areas, they put ethanol in everything. I'd have to ride about 30 minutes out of my way to find a station with ethanol free fuel of any sort.

The 90 octane ethanol free that you suggested is good for your motor because it is ethanol free, not because it is 90 octane...
You sir are correct, our bikes were not designed to run it, so if you must, keep the tank full, do'nt let it sit for more than a week or so without running it or winterize it,If I could get it in 87 I would. Before Florida Repealed it's 10% mandate I would take a can to the nearest station that had it when ever I was going near the station. The only downside is the price which is $1 more per gallon ,so I guess I am trading money for time not spent rebuilding the carbs, fuel lines ect.
Wow your not kidding it is hard to find in AZ.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
91 is not "better"

But using the grade of local fuel which allows NO pre ignition is the goal.
For me, in my part of Texas...selecting 93 octane is the only way I can consistently fill with fuel that does not cause pre ignition (detonation)
Those who blindly fill with the lowest octane they can buy because a service manual printed in Japan 20 years ago says run 87 Oct are as foolish as the person that selects Premium because it's needed for "performance gains"

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 PM
MotoGP

Saw a special on e-free gas a while ago. There are cheap test kits you can buy to verify it's actually e-free. I suggest you look into it. All the stations in this piece were advertising as free but actually weren't. All blamed their supplier. It said it is very difficult to find actual e-free gas.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Saw a special on e-free gas a while ago. There are cheap test kits you can buy to verify it's actually e-free. I suggest you look into it. All the stations in this piece were advertising as free but actually weren't. All blamed their supplier. It said it is very difficult to find actual e-free gas.
Thanx, found it and I am ordering it I can not tell you how pissed I will be if I am getting duped.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
91 is not "better"

But using the grade of local fuel which allows NO pre ignition is the goal.
For me, in my part of Texas...selecting 93 octane is the only way I can consistently fill with fuel that does not cause pre ignition (detonation)
Those who blindly fill with the lowest oct then can buy because a service manual printed in Japan 20 years ago says run 87 Oct is a fool.. Simply a fool.

As much as the person that selects Premium because it's needed for "performance gains"

I agree. Living in a country where we face brutally cold temps in winter, running high octane gas is futile. Summer when it's hot, and your engine
needs the extra octane if you run a high compression engine...OK. Running it when it's 5°F, you're probably hurting the engine more then helping it. Ambient air is so cold, it contributes to the octane factor, and,
fuel burns even less. Consequence of this, cylinders get washed by un burnt fuel removing what the oil is trying to do, lub the cylinder, causing premature engine damage in the long run. It also ends up clogging catalytic converters(if this applies).
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
The Pirate Sportbiker
Squid

VTArrrgh! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Funny thing is my bike runs like crap on low octane fuel. Run the good stuff and you'll be happy. It won't hurt the performance as some will suggest. There are other benefits to running higher octane fuel too. Just do it, your bike will thank you for it.
Agreed. Even after a carb sync, my 'Hawk would "hiccup" once-in-a-while, which is actually a little unnerving whilst traversing a round-about. When I pulled my fairing to replace my steering neck bearings, I noticed the sticker that says "91 octane." I've started using it and have noticed a huge difference in the hiccuping. Also, anything under 91 octane (at least in my area) contains at least 10-percent ethanol. Yes, some of the high octane stuff does too, but I don't buy that ****, I ride to the next station that sells ethanol free premium. I'm not paying 4.35 a gallon for corn juice.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
using the grade of local fuel which allows NO pre ignition is the goal.
Agreed

Erik, I run 87 even in the peak of our heat, which can be 90-95ish w/ high humidity. I have never once had any signs of pre-ig knock. Just my experience.

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
I agree. Living in a country where we face brutally cold temps in winter, running high octane gas is futile. Summer when it's hot, and your engine needs the extra octane if you run a high compression engine...OK. Running it when it's 5°F, you're probably hurting the engine more then helping it. Ambient air is so cold, it contributes to the octane factor, and,
fuel burns even less. Consequence of this, cylinders get washed by un burnt fuel removing what the oil is trying to do, lub the cylinder, causing premature engine damage in the long run. It also ends up clogging catalytic converters(if this applies).

Thank you! Well said.

BrotherMike, let us know the results when you test it.

VTArh, pics or it didn't exist. I've had the occasional carb fart, definitely not pre-ig though. Are you sure it wasn't a miss or said fart?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTArrrgh!
Agreed. Even after a carb sync, my 'Hawk would "hiccup" once-in-a-while, which is actually a little unnerving whilst traversing a round-about. When I pulled my fairing to replace my steering neck bearings, I noticed the sticker that says "91 octane." I've started using it and have noticed a huge difference in the hiccuping. Also, anything under 91 octane (at least in my area) contains at least 10-percent ethanol. Yes, some of the high octane stuff does too, but I don't buy that ****, I ride to the next station that sells ethanol free premium. I'm not paying 4.35 a gallon for corn juice.
But you're in Wisconsin! You should be proud of the corn juice.

I agree to one point... if you find the bike runs better (less hickups) with premium, then use it. I have not found this and my 3rd party research has indicated that my real world findings are not invalid. Jamie has a lot of knowledge under his belt so I would not discount what he says, I just haven't personally been convinced.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
The only reason I can possibly think of not to use 87 or 89 octane is that the crap ethanol evaporates and lowers your actual octane rating when it does.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Squid

Saintsman27 is on a distinguished road
Gasoline

Seen all that has been said .. the lowest octane fuel we can get in the UK is
95 ... and super at 97 all is much the same.. unleaded gas of course.
There is no difference in performance I can measure in my VTR firestorm
in any fuel..
Alb
Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
The biggest differance between UK fuel and US fuel apart from price, is the Ethanol content we have very little in comparison. Not for long though if things keep going the way it's going. .eek

(:-})

Quick Reply: 100 octane or 91?