Forum Feedback Post tips, comments, problems, requests pertaining to the Forums.

super hawk not running right

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Squid

jk24 is on a distinguished road
super hawk not running right

i bought a 01 superhawk with a seized up engine in it. so i put another engine in it an it starts good revs up good when sitting there but when u take off it doesnt seem to take off good until you just crank the throttle all the way open. any ideas. i cleaned the carbs. the one thing im thinkin about is what hoses go where on the tank. i have the 2 for the carbs then the one bigger one on the right thats a vent? an the one on the back side of the petcock that comes like off the cylinder right below the intake? then theres the little one on the right that i dont know where the hose is suppose to come from to go to that? gas comes running out when its shut off after ridding. any ideas

thanks
jon
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
There are only 4 hoses. Two for the carbs, one for the rear of the petcock, and one under the tank on the overflow nipple. The other nipple under the tank is left open, the manual will have a diagram.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Aren't there 5? There's a drainage and a vent hose coming off the actual tank, neither should affect riding (I've had both detached before I knew there were 5)

The three that are important are the two big ones that attach to the petcock and the respective carbs. Then the little one that attaches to a little vacuum nipple on the front of the rear cylinder and the BACK, SIDEWAYS nipple of the petcock (not the one pointing down) That should get you started.

If you're tanks too full it may not be breathing correctly. Try running it with the gas cap popped open if this is the case.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Squid

ok ill try that. Wat about when i shut the bike off the gas coming out the little hole on the right an it won't stop. I've open the cap. closed it doesn't matter still runs out any ideas???
thanks
Jon
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
The gas is coming out of the nipple on the tank? You will notice when you open the cap that on the edge of the filler hole are two small holes, those drain out to the nipple under the tank, I don't know why it would be draining from there constantly if it was not over filled.

As for number of hoses I only have 4, the vent hose may have been removed by the PO but its never been there. Just to be sure, you have the petcock hose hooked up to the back horizontal nipple right? If youare sitting on your bike, the nipple is closest to you and pointing to the left.

Jk24, can you post pictures of hose you have the hoses hooked up?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Squid

yeah i have that hooked up right. its the little one on the left coming off the tank. ill see if i can send a pic