Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

What kind of surfboard is like the Superhawk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
What kind of surfboard is like the Superhawk?

For you guys that surf or know your surfboards (this means you VTRsurfer)...

On a scale where a big fat 12' SUP (stand up paddleboard) is a like a full dress Harley, and a 6' shortboard is like a modern 125 2 stroke GP bike, What kind of surfboard would you liken the Superhawk too?

Mini Mal, Fun, Egg, Semi Gun?

Last edited by Moto Man; 06-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good one. I was asked a year or so ago how surfing compared to riding. My answer was, when riding the canyons they are very similar. It's all about the turns and the speed.

My wife surfs also, and we have 18 boards in our garage (but only 2 bikes), ranging from 6'0" (which I haven't ridden in years) to 8'8". I'm 5' 10" and 155 pounds.

I'd say my SuperHawk is most similar to my two 7'4"s. One is a thruster, pointy nose, round tail, very fast and maneuverable, works best in medium sized to large fast waves, but a little wider in the tail than a semi-gun. The other is a fun board, round nose and tail, flat rocker (adds speed), actually a little thinner than the pointy nose board and just as maneuverable (it has the same tail width). I've ridden the fun board in up to several feet overhead and down to knee high. So I guess I'd give the edge to my 7'4" fun board, it does it all.

And yeah, a 12' SUP is pretty much like a big Harley. I may be 63 years old, but I'm never riding one of those.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
Never surfed but after reading that I can understand what you are talking about. Well said and nicely explained
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Good one. I was asked a year or so ago how surfing compared to riding. My answer was, when riding the canyons they are very similar. It's all about the turns and the speed.

My wife surfs also, and we have 18 boards in our garage (but only 2 bikes), ranging from 6'0" (which I haven't ridden in years) to 8'8". I'm 5' 10" and 155 pounds.

I'd say my SuperHawk is most similar to my two 7'4"s. One is a thruster, pointy nose, round tail, very fast and maneuverable, works best in medium sized to large fast waves, but a little wider in the tail than a semi-gun. The other is a fun board, round nose and tail, flat rocker (adds speed), actually a little thinner than the pointy nose board and just as maneuverable (it has the same tail width). I've ridden the fun board in up to several feet overhead and down to knee high. So I guess I'd give the edge to my 7'4" fun board, it does it all.

And yeah, a 12' SUP is pretty much like a big Harley. I may be 63 years old, but I'm never riding one of those.
Hey, near exactly the same conclusion; I saw the thread title and immediately thought of the 7'6" thruster in my shed.

The 9'6" longboard is like my Varadero, sitting just below it in the same shed, actually.