Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

What happens when you refuse to answer a Border Patrol agent's questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
What happens when you refuse to answer a Border Patrol agent's questions...

It always bugs the **** out of me when driving out to El Centro and I have to wait in line for an hour in the desert sun so I can answer questions about where I'm going, where I live, where I'm coming from, what my shoe size is, what's my favorite flavor of ice cream... These aren't border crossings, they are just checkpoints that stop all traffic on Interstate highways within our borders, similar to a DUI checkpoint, except that there's no way around them. DUI checkpoints are at least required to give you notice and a way to bypass them. (Although they usually set up cops there to pull over anyone that bypasses it.)

So anyways... I pull up to stop sign, the BP agent motions to put my window down...

"U.S. Border Patrol, can you state your citizenship please?

United States

Where are you coming from sir?

South.

Where are you going to?

This way.

Where's that way?

West.

Yeah but where to? But where do you... where are you going? Where are you going?

*pause*

Do you know where you're going?

I know where I'm going.

Where are you going?

I don't really want to talk to you about it.

What was that? I can't hear you, you gotta lower your windows more, I can't hear anything you're saying. Where are you headed sir?

I'm going west.

Ok, where's west?

[Highway] 78.

78, where, where... where to? Where are you headed sir? We could be here all day, or you could just answer a few, couple of simple questions sir.

I am a U.S. citizen...

I understand that sir.

...and I don't see why...

I just need to know where you're going sir, that's it.

I don't think you do.

I do.

Do you?

Yes sir. Where are you coming from?

I haven't crossed any borders...

That's okay.

...and I haven't broken any immigration laws...

I don't know that sir.

...and I think your jurisdiction falls at that point.

I just have a few questions sir and if you answer them you can be on your way in about two seconds.

I value my privacy.

Ok.

It's my personal choice.

Where are you coming from? Can I see your I.D. to see if you're a U.S. citizen sir?

Can you do that?

Yeah. I need to see your ID please.

Did I do something wrong?

No sir. This is an immigration check sir.

I understand that.

Okay so I just want to see... just want to make sure you're a U.S. citizen sir.

Do you suspect that I'm not a U.S. citizen?

No sir.

So why do you need to check it then?

Because I need to check it sir.

But you don't suspect that I'm not a U.S. citizen?

I do suspect you.

But you just said...

We could argue sir all day, or I could send you to secondary to check your I.D. sir. That's it, simple.

I don't want to be sent to secondary.

You will be sent to secondary.

Why?

Cause I'm telling you. Sir can you please go to secondary?

What have I done?

Go to secondary sir.

I really don't want to.

Sir, can you please go to secondary.

Are they gonna search my car?

Sir please go to secondary.

Are they gonna search my car?

Sir, can you go to secondary sir?

I mean, I can, but I don't want to.

Sir, drive between these cones please.

I don't understand the point of all this.

You just need to drive between these cones please.

What is going on? I don't want to stop.

*2nd border patrol agent comes over to window*

"We're sending you to secondary between... [unclear]... your vehicle is going to be searched.

Why? I don't consent, I don't want to be searched.

It's going to be a non-intrusive search, just go ahead and park over there, thank you.

Do I have to consent to this?

I'll talk to you over there.

Ok.

Just don't back up the line, please.

But by pulling in there am I consenting to a search?

By pulling in there, you will... your vehicle will be searched.

I do not wanna be searched.

It's going to be a non-intrusive search.

*pause*

I tell you what, pull in between those two white lanes, and then we'll park in between them in back of the machine.

Ok.

Alright, this right here is a non-intrusive search. We search for anomalies in the vehicle. We don't need consent to search your vehicle when it's a non-intrusive search.

Yeah, but I don't understand why. Why am I being searched?

Randomly selected sir. Randomly selected.

Randomly selected?

Yes, that's right.

...or is it because I refuse to answer his questions?

Well, I don't know what happened over there.

He told me he was sending me here, because I didn't want to answer his questions.

Interesting.

Maybe I misunderstood him, but I don't need to explain where I'm going and why I'm going...

You don't have to.

I explained that I'm a citizen.

That's all he needs to know.

And then he also told me he did not suspect me of being an illegal alien.

He said all that?

And then later he changed his tune.

Ok, I'll go doublecheck what he's saying there.

I think he just wanted me to answer his questions and he didn't like when I didn't.

No, you don't have to. All we need to know is what your status is, and anything other than that, if you don't want to answer... I'll go see why he wanted...

Ok, I understand you're allowed to within a 100 miles of the border...

Yeah.

...to stop and briefly question people and if you have a reasonable doubt...

Yeah.

...that if they are an illegal alien then... I understand that's you're jurisdiction.

Correct.

But beyond that, I don't know why I have to answer where I work and where I'm going.

Same here. I definitely agree with that.

I mean, I come through here not often, but I don't want to wait in line for an hour so I can answer...

Ok, do you want to file a complaint or anything?

I don't know, um... If you can resolve it...

I'll go talk to him, if that's what he was saying then... I'll go see.

I mean, if everyone just does what they're supposed to do and nothing more, everything is faster.

Yeah. Anyways, is there anything else in here that we should be concerned about?

No.

Do you give us consent to search the vehicle?

No sir.

Non-intrusively?

If you're asking me, no.

You would prefer no?

Yeah.

And the reason why, being?

Do I need a reason? I just value my privacy. I don't think I need a reason.

Ok. That's true, you don't. Ok, can you shut off the vehicle in the meantime?

Um...

I'll let you have A/C if you turn it on.

...it's really hot.

Ok, turn on your A/C, I'll be right back.

*Returns with drug sniffing dog, walks around car tapping body panels.*

I got his story. Do you still want to file a complaint?

Are you guys going to let me go?

Yeah. You're free to go sir.

What's his name?

Mr. Herrera. And I'm Rillon.

Thank you for your help sir.

You don't want to to file a... no? Should I notify my supervisor or...?

Um, you can notify him.

Ok.

It would be better if he just did what he's supposed to.

Ok, I'll go remind him again of his duties.

Ok thank you, have a nice day.

And of course, as I'm pulling out on the cross street to the stop sign, they wave a guy by, and due to the way their checkpoint is setup up, he drives right into the side my street and almost T-bones my car. The checkpoint is a complete road hazard.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 10-01-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yesterday
Where are you coming from?

Fort Huachuca

Do you work there?

...wanting to say "No, I'm assigned there, as you could probably tell from the sticker on my windshield if you had paid any attention"... Yes.

And today...

U S C?

What?

U S C?

Huh? Oh, you mean am I a U.S. Citizen? Yes

Apparently they're hiring some real bright ones for the checkpoints here. Of course having just moved almost to Tucson (so SWMBO's commute would be short) means I have to interact with these Einsteins on a daily basis. Yay. Same obnoxiously loud flat-black bike as yesterday... around the same time even. I swear to G_d, one of these days I'm going to ride up with my XD in my drop leg holster, just because. Retards.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
SuperSport

If everyone quit putting up with their ****, they'd be forced to change the way they do things or just cut the **** out altogether. Put up a ******* camera or something and stop any suspicious looking cars. This bullshit of stopping and chatting with everyone just backs up traffic, sometimes for miles.

A California driver's license isn't proof of citizenship anyways. This guy is an idiot. I never told him where I was going, where I was coming from, or showed him ID, and I refused a search. And they still let me go. So my question is, why stop me in the first place? Do they expect some idiot to stop and say they're an illegal?

I realize my actions didn't help anyone get home any faster. It's not my intent to make trouble for the BP, I'd rather just have them go do something productive and constitutional. They could at least start by doing their job. The guy's failure to do his job is what caused delay for me, and everyone else he asks his stupid questions to.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Returning from a 3 day surf trip in the early 90s at the San Ysidro crossing, I was ordered to pull into Secondary Inspection. A married couple and their 1 year old were with me in my 1990 Isuzu Trooper with surfboards on top. It was an apparently new female Customs agent.

We pulled into Secondary as told, then waited for about 5 minutes. My friends wife said, "I'm going to video tape this".

Then an agent came up to the car and told her to stop, and shoved his hand through the window towards the camera.

On the tape you see my hand come up to block his, and I say "Get your hand out of my truck".

My friend Ed, who is a dentist then said "I'm Dr. xxxx, this is my wife Dr. xxxx and this is Dr. xxxx, gesturing to me". (I'm going "oh ****") Then Ed asks to see a supervisor.

About 2 minutes later a supervisor comes up and asks if we have anything to declare. I say "a bottle of Kahluha, a bottle of tequila and a concrete yard duck".

He says "You're free to go, have a nice day".

I quit going down there about 15 years ago...too many bad experiences by friends.

By the way, was the *** end of your car dragging the pavement with all those illegals packed in the trunk?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 10-01-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
A shitstorm is coming. Don't you know you were in a Constitution free zone? All this kind of stuff isn't happening by accident and they aren't doing it to protect us. The BP has proven quite convincingly that they aren't in the least interested in controlling the borders or protecting us. (I'm not talking about the rank and file, although many of them are near brain dead morons who would slit your throat if ordered to do so. I'm talking about the traitors at the top.) And why is the BP running checkpoints 50 miles inside the US border? (They are doing that quite a bit.)
It's NONE of their ******* business where you have been or where you are going.
You're lucky you didn't get tasered like Steven Anderson did.
I agree with you that if everyone quit putting up with this **** it would have to stop.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
By the way, was the *** end of your car dragging the pavement with all those illegals packed in the trunk?
I can't fit a golfbag in the rear hatch of my Corvette, let alone a family of illegals. They can see inside the entire car through the windows, no trunk.

I have blue eyes, brown hair and freckles.

The irony is these guys working there are all Mexican. Maybe next time I'll ask him for proof of citizenship.

The minute they start studdering when you question their "authority" or stick a camera in their face is pretty indicative of the fact that they're going way beyond reason, and forcing them to recon with that just confuses them.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
sounds kinda like a police state. big brother is watching.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Get used to it...

"Paper's please."
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
What a ******* joke....Yeah I went through the whole Gestapo search about a year ago at Kennedy Airport when I was leaving from visiting my brother for Christmas. I went through the whole stand in a half an hour line so they could search my luggage, take my shoes off and walk on the filthy carpet in my socks, search me top to bottom, etc, etc, etc. So after I'm FINALLY finished I'm rounding the corner to walk towards the plane, there's a HUGE open area along the walkway and my brother and sister in law are standing there-and there's a customs agent sitting on her fat *** in a chair right next to them. So as I'm walking by I kiss them on the cheek and say goodbye because I only get to see them once or maybe twice a year.

"SIR. You need to go back through the line again."

"Haha, you're joking right?"

"No sir."

"YOURE ******* KIDDING ME RIGHT?!"

"No sir."

Some **** about bodily contact...I guess with her sitting right next to us WATCHING we could have pulled some David Copperfield **** and he could have passed a ******* ATOM BOMB to me through ******* OSMOSIS. And it's only gonna get worse...
Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

What happened to you is a direct result of having to randomly harass everyone (especially a minimum amount of people who are obviously citizens) because GOD forbid they PROFILE a little and OFFEND anyone. All of this "security" is a complete ******* joke. I went through it years ago at the bank I worked at. That whole anthrax **** happened right down the street, and we got a paper bag with powder at our bank, and they'd get random bomb threats all the time too. I got so frustrated with the immigrant security people falling asleep (yes literally) on the job. When asked by the FBI agents if I felt "safer" I laughed & told them I could walk in here with 2 MAC-10's under my coat and kill fifty people and no one could do anything about it because they're searches & security are pointless. THAT got some curious looks.

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-02-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I can't fit a golfbag in the rear hatch of my Corvette, let alone a family of illegals. They can see inside the entire car through the windows, no trunk.
We had a 95 (C4) at my school shop for the last 10 years. It was a "buy back" car. I removed the spare so it would be easier to adjust rear camber and toe (I used the 'Vette mainly for 4 wheel alignment demonstration). You could easily strap 1 or 2 Illegals up in that space.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 10-02-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
We had a 95 (C4) at my school shop for the last 10 years. It was a "buy back" car. I removed the spare so it would be easier to adjust rear camber and toe (I used the 'Vette mainly for 4 wheel alignment demonstration). You could easily strap 1 or 2 Illegals up in that space.
HAHAHAHA
Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

the worst thing i have to deal with in moncton are the shopping ***** at costco.

it's very true that security is bs. makes more trouble for honest people than it does for criminals. put up hoops, honest people jump through, criminals side step.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch

it's very true that security is bs. makes more trouble for honest people than it does for criminals. put up hoops, honest people jump through, criminals side step.
Thank you! It's ALWAYS this way.

They have kids in fatigues with ar15's at the airport and a bunch of $8/hr TSA zombies to make you feel "safe." Meanwhile if I wanted to do anything wrong all I'd do is get a friggin job with the foodservice and I could load any damn thing onto the plane I wanted...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I know I'll get flamed for this, but most of you know I've got thick skin so bring it on.

How many of you bitching and crying about this are the same ones who would (or are currently) whining about the illegals being here in the first place. "They take our jobs, commit crimes, use our tax dollars and health care system, etc."

Blah, Blah, Blah, Bitch, Bitch, Bitch...

The government is OBVIOUSLY not perfect, but they are trying. In the end they are just guys like you and me trying to solve the problems. If you have a better idea than call your Congress person and Senator to do something about it. At the very least stop being part of the problem by holding up traffic behind you and making everybody else hate the system that much more.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

while it is true that nothing is perfect,
if the government was 1/2 as effective at running things with our money as they are at lining their own pockets,
we'd be much better off.

gov vs. costco: i'd bet the business run costco security is much more effective than the gov's bp security! they prob cost 90% less too! i can proove it by comparing my costco receipts and my tax bills!

after complaining i have to admit that we could be worse off. we(us and canada) are prob among the best countries in the world. i could give some props to a few euro countries for possibly being better than us. imagine what things are like for 90% of the world's population living in **** holes.

i try to look at it like this: i appreciate what i have but don't settle for just that.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
Do you look foreign????Lets get some pics!! Beard??? Hippie?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Drew,

Here's the deal: Yes, Illegals are a problem. The border patrol checkpoints are primarily a 'make the sheeple feel good' technique. If you want to block the road at random times, at random locations, and actually SEARCH VEHICLES, fine. But a standing checkpoint that everyone knows shuts down whenever it rains is pretty pointless. Don't take this as a flame, but calling the creeps in Washington will get ZERO accomplished, because because as has been stated, real security can't be implemented because (G-d forbid) we might offend someone, or hurt their wittle feewings.

Oh, and I generally do as little as possible to allow the Border Patrol checkpoint twerps any reason to hold me any longer than necessary. I have to drive past them every single workday on my way home, which is why I have usually run out of patience for the day.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

HAHAHA calling my Congressman or Senator is about as useful as voting and thinking you actually have any choice in this matter or most any other...If the "security" was actually useful at actually preventing criminals or protecting the people than I'd be all for it. Instead it's just a big handjob. It's makes all the people who believe what they hear on the evening news feel good.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by finepooch
the worst thing i have to deal with in moncton are the shopping ***** at costco.
I want to try that also. Buy my ****, then walk out the door right past the asswipe that wants to hold me and check my receipt. I paid for it, I own the **** so he has no business holding me up as far as I know.

Might be different rules though since you're in a privately owned store.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by lynchie
Do you look foreign????Lets get some pics!! Beard??? Hippie?
White dude with blue eyes and freckles. Not a Hippie though. My license plate says "DIE HPPY". That should earn points with a uniformed officer right?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Galaxieman
Oh, and I generally do as little as possible to allow the Border Patrol checkpoint twerps any reason to hold me any longer than necessary. I have to drive past them every single workday on my way home, which is why I have usually run out of patience for the day.
If everyone refused to answer their inappropriate questions, they would be forced to either shut down or do their job. Either way would get you home faster.

Playing into their bullshit just perpetuates the problem. It also makes people like me the exception rather than the norm. I haven't met anyone yet that enjoys waiting in line to answer their dumb questions, so I'm guessing I'm not alone in my thinking.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by drew_c14
At the very least stop being part of the problem by holding up traffic behind you and making everybody else hate the system that much more.
Maybe you should reread the first post or else get your eyes checked.

The security checkpoint was holding up traffic, not me. I would drive right through it if I was allowed to, but they'd probably arrest/shoot me if I did.

The border patrol agent held up the line for another 10 minutes on me alone because he didn't know how to do his job.

What part of this isn't clear?

"Do you suspect that I'm not a U.S. citizen?"

"No sir."

Or this...?

"..I don't need to explain where I'm going and why I'm going"

"You don't have to."

"I explained that I'm a citizen."

"That's all he needs to know."

"It would be better if he just did what he's supposed to."

"Ok, I'll go remind him again of his duties."
Old 10-03-2009, 03:31 PM
SuperBike

You're right, nobody like waiting in the lines. What's you're idea for getting rid of the aliens then? Not trying to sounds like a dick, I just really want to know how you would fix the problem that they are trying to fix.

Please give a logical answer without bitching about what they are doing. I CAN'T STAND people who have problems, problems, problems, but never any freaking solutions.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by captainchaos
HAHAHA calling my Congressman or Senator is about as useful as voting and thinking you actually have any choice in this matter or most any other...
I think that attitude is a big part of the reason were in the situation were in now as a country. People just give up and don't try anymore. You're right, one phone call doesn't make a difference, but 100 will, and 1000 sure as hell will. If these people get concerned that they might be doing something wrong they will make a change. In the end they just want to get reelected and will do whatever we want them to. That's the way the system is designed.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 PM
SuperSport

You're right, nobody like waiting in the lines. What's you're idea for getting rid of the aliens then? Not trying to sounds like a dick, I just really want to know how you would fix the problem that they are trying to fix.

Please give a logical answer without bitching about what they are doing. I CAN'T STAND people who have problems, problems, problems, but never any freaking solutions.
Stop them at the f****** border. Build a fence. Put up infrared-tracking automatic guntowers. Post some signs in spanish that say "All trespassers will be shot." I don't really care. But don't hassle me within the confines of my country and pull this "guilty until proven innocent" bullshit. Once illegals get in, it's much MUCH more expensive and difficult to remove them. Those resources are better spent at the borders.

And maybe put in place some functioning programs that enable people to legally immigrate. We need to make it easier for productive, law-abiding, and self-sufficient people of the world to enter our country.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
SuperBike

I agree 100% that we need to stop them at the border first. That still isn't going to solve the problem of the 12,000,000 of them wasting my money right now. A few of them are probably reading this. (If so GO HOME!!!)

Just try and put yourself in the shoes of that guy at that checkpoint for a second. You stand there all day when it's hot as hell out side and every other car want's to give you a hard time. It's a horrible job, but for some strange reason there are applicants lined up for months trying to get it in this shitty economy. So if you mess up you get canned and the next guy gets hired. That means no matter what the **** bird in the car does you have to keep smiling and do everything right. All this for probably $12 per hour.

Then this guy in a corvette pulls up and won't even roll his window all the way down and answer a few simple questions so he can be on his way. It takes everything you have not to pull him out of that tiny window and beat him against his own shiny hood until he stops complaining about his stupid rights. So the only thing you can do to get back just a little bit and feel better is to give him a hard time for a few minutes.

Not saying it's right, just something to think about...
Old 10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
SuperSport

Starting salary is anywhere from $37K to $47K per year depending on qualifications. ****, I started at $48K working in engineering after graduating college.

If you don't like the job or can't hack it, do something else. If you are so easily replaceable, that should give you more incentive to do your job right and stay employed. BTW this ******* was NOT doing his job. If I work at Subway, and the customers asks for no onions on his sandwich, but I do anyways and he complains, is it okay for me to give him a hard time?

Or do you have higher expectations for a subway worker that gets paid half of what the BP agent gets?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:22 PM
SuperSport

I agree 100% that we need to stop them at the border first. That still isn't going to solve the problem of the 12,000,000 of them wasting my money right now.
If your boat is sinking, plug the ******* hole! Don't waste your energy scooping water out with your bare hands.