Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

state of affairs at The Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
state of affairs at The Dragon

Well, in case you guys have not seen the latest, be glad we had or get-together when we did.

I scratched a trip last weekend.

If you are interested....

www.tailofthedragon.com
http://killboy.blogspot.com/
www.dealsgap.com

what a mess!
No, it's not a mess. It's a regular old C.F.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just read about this on another forum and it SUCKS!!! I was just going to go there next week, might have to adjust my plans now FUGGERS!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
It is what it is. Big brother clamping down.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Just another opinion but I saw this coming along time ago and think the government reaction is just that; a reaction to the higher accident and death tolls happening. Those counties are rural and relatively poor so having to perform several off road rescues/retrievals, airlifts, and cleanup of major accidents EVERY weekend (and a few during the week too) is quite taxing (pun intended) on their limited resources.

Although poor individual decisions and/or skills are the reasons for the accidents, I believe the internet is the catalyst for it all.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
It's the Devil, right Bling..!!! LOL...no I am not making fun of you, ok yes I am , I mean no I am not...ok maybe...but alas, no...what where you talking about again?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Back in my youth, I was an avid, almost hardcore, surfer. That community/culture has a somewhat unspoke rule of not giving out newly discovered surf spots to keep them from being over run and thusly ruined/spoiled.

I see the gap/internet dynamics the same way. It's too late now.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
Back in my youth, I was an avid, almost hardcore, surfer. That community/culture has a somewhat unspoke rule of not giving out newly discovered surf spots to keep them from being over run and thusly ruined/spoiled.

I was just messing with ya man...I smell what your steppin in...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
I have to agree. And I guess I'm as much to blame as anybody - not that my encouragement for fellow motorcyclists to "check it out" has likely made that much difference.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
The Dragon has seen an explosion of popularity in the last 3-4 years.

The web and the occasional story in one of many different car or motorcycle magazines has helped fuel the frenzy.

It is a mess now - for everybody.
As I have mentioned, it seems the majority of crashes involve non-regulars; those who come to ride The Dragon and then crash. I have seen locals/regulars go down, but no where near the rate of the "tourist" type.

I can think of 6 fatalities in the last 5 years. Not one was a local/regular.

Time will tell I guess.

edit to add: while not the cause, it is interesting to note that since the saturation crack down began, there have been 3 fatalities, and two different road closings due to semis getting stuck/falling over in turns.

Just indicates there presence might just be a little off focus.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well to me it seems like a case of good thinking, poor execution... And that seems to be the case everywhere when Big Brother is involved...

Hey I'm from Sweden OK?! and it's the same over here... the idea in general is all good and fine... but the guy making the plans and the guy doing the legwork isn't living in the same reality...

It's really not that hard to figure out that the crowds are causing problems... We have a similar situation here with a road that is well liked and have been for close to ten years, and that never was a problem, until 2-3 years ago when it started building a hype and attracting a crowd of squids and born-again bikers plus a few lookie-loos...

The cops tried to "keep order" but generally made matters worse... and a pissing contest between locals and bikers ensued...

It's gone as far here as two locals have been prosecuted for deliberately spreading gravel in a couple of the tighthest corners with a blind crest and causing a fatal accident... They have probably caused more than one accident but this time there where witnesess... And the police actually did their job and got those two out of there alive...