Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

O Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Sleeper, we're just going to disagree. The Canadians scored first because they were digging harder and closer to the puck. The kids play catch up successfully but the "game" doesn't change. The Canadians score again and again, the kids dig deep.

The Northstars used to play in the building next to the old Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis which was my office. I shot miles of film for the Vikings while they played there and am a veteran of milleniums of team films with the coaches. Jerry Burns was my assignment - he was the QB coach and prob one of the most violent people I have ever met. Also one of the most talented QB coaches of his time. They would call me from the front office: "Coach Burns us having problems with his projector." I would walk in and he would be throwing it from one side of the room to the other. After my introduction, I always brought a spare, threaded it and then sat there with him and watched films. Only way to quiet him down.

The Northstars were sold to Dallas and soon after they tore both facilities down.

My employment ended when the team converted to video from film. Many friends, many memories, but I have never looked at team play the same since. I don't need slow-mo - and yes, I have seen the Zebras decide a game. That's why we play.

Good blessings on our Northern brothers. I am not a fan of sudden death because I think it serves the broadcast media and not the teams nor the competition.

They never asked my opinion.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sleeper
The coach for Team Canada's womens hockey is female!?!? Really?!? Sh*t !...Really !?!
No sh*t, she looked like she could take on any of the guys on Team Canada or Team USA.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
finepooch,
Damn, you're right. I just looked it up on youtube. The puck gets caught up in the ref's skates and he gives it a "distinct kicking motion" to free it up. The goal happens about a second or two later.

I don't think the TV announcers caught it either, or if they did they kept their mouths shut. They wanted to get out of the building in one piece.

Goal: Crosby, Assist: Iginla, O'Halloran.

Oh well, that's hockey.
i have only seen the play a couple times on tv, so my comments could be wrong. the ref actually got in crosby's way. those refs are very annoying because they get in the way.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Ya gotta love those international rules:

NO touch icing, NO head shots, NO fighting, NO crease violations.

The whole tournament was an awsome display of skill and talent. The Gold Medal game was the best hockey I've watched since the World Junior Gold Medal game.

You U.S. guys keep grousing about the ref's contribution to the winning goal. No-one has mentioned the hooking/tripping/obstruction/interference non-call in front of the Canadian net that led directly to the tying goal.

I'm just sayin'.....

Cheers!

G
Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtrgeoff
You U.S. guys keep grousing about the ref's contribution to the winning goal.
Actually, that was brought up initially by finepooch, a fine Canadian from Moncton
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by vtrgeoff
Ya gotta love those international rules:

NO touch icing, NO head shots, NO fighting, NO crease violations.

The whole tournament was an awsome display of skill and talent. The Gold Medal game was the best hockey I've watched since the World Junior Gold Medal game.

You U.S. guys keep grousing about the ref's contribution to the winning goal. No-one has mentioned the hooking/tripping/obstruction/interference non-call in front of the Canadian net that led directly to the tying goal.

I'm just sayin'.....

Cheers!

G
Originally Posted by mikstr
Actually, that was brought up initially by finepooch, a fine Canadian from Moncton

technically i am canadian, but in my heart i am a citizen of the world!

i'm not complaining about the ref, just pointing it out. i didn't even watch the game. i turned it on for my young lad(6) and the ot was just underway. when crosby scored i went into the tv room to see the goal replay. i immediately noticed the ref getting in the way.

when we play there are only one or two refs and they constantly get in the way. i dread the thought of having four refs out there! it would feel like playing in a crowded 5pm westbound(bloor line?) toronto subway train. that's tough stick handling!

one of my leagues doesn't even have an icing rule!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Let's be fair here, if you watch the replay of one of the US goals, they were offside, but it wasn't called.

The refs are human, they get in the way, they get knocked down, they get hit with the puck, OH WELL, that's Hockey.

I don't care if they were offside, I don't care if the ref was "supposedly" in the way. As long as they called the game fairly to the best of their ability. That's what I care about, and IMHO, that's what the refs did. After 31 years and 2 previous Gold Medal games, I trust McCreary to run a tight crew. You will not hear this citizen of the USA complain about 3 Canadian refs or that he may have been in the way for the OT winning goal. Won't happen. It was a good game.

No, correct, it WAS one HELLUVA game. Regardless of the outcome, it was good for North America. The Scandanavian (although, being of Scandanavian decent, I wouldn't have minded this out come) and Europeans didn't win.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
MotoGP

Here in Orange County we're proud of all of our Anaheim Ducks who participated in the Winter Olympics.

Scott Niedermayer, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry...Team Canada, Gold

Bobby Ryan, Ryan Whitney...Team USA, Silver

Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu...Team Finland, Bronze

Jonas Hiller, Luca Sbisa (Ducks prospect)...Team Switzerland
Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

i like the way neidermayer, getzlaf and perry play. neidermayer is so calm and poised with the puck. he just does not panic. he's smooth too.

smooth... the opposite is me tonight after work when i take to the ice!!! will be fun though.

i would like to see crashed ice on the olympics!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The viewing stats for the Gold medal game were released yesterday and they said that over 26 millions Canadians (over 80% of the population) watched at least one part of the game. Hockey is more than a game here, it`s a religion, lol
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
If in doubt as too what the game means to Canadians, check out these pictures and video at

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/...=1276181%40N21

Look at the video of the crazy women running down the street with a flag in her hand and in the background her neighbor quietly taking his down. That reminds me that I need to call my US buddy and razz him for a change.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
i like the way neidermayer, getzlaf and perry play. neidermayer is so calm and poised with the puck. he just does not panic. he's smooth too.
Scott is the backbone of the Ducks. He averages about 29 minutes per game. If everyone on the team was as solid as Scott, we wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot right now. Getzlaf's only fault is he sometimes passes when he should just shoot. Perry is just Perry, he loves to pester goalies.

My wife and I are going to the game against the Colorado Av's tomorrow night with friends.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
The viewing stats for the Gold medal game were released yesterday and they said that over 26 millions Canadians (over 80% of the population) watched at least one part of the game. Hockey is more than a game here, it`s a religion, lol
Yeah. Viewing stats for the U.S. were 27+ million average and 34+ million peak.

That translates to 9% average and 11% peak. Quite a difference.

26 million Canadians is amazing, If you discount for babes in cribs, old people in comas and immigrants who don't know what hockey is, every Canadian was watching the game.

Last edited by RK1; 03-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
My wife and I are going to the game against the Colorado Av's tomorrow night with friends.
nice!

Originally Posted by RK1
Yeah. Viewing stats for the U.S. were 27+ million average and 34+ million peak.

That translates to 9% average and 11% peak. Quite a difference.

26 million Canadians is amazing, If you discount for babes in cribs, old people in comas and immigrants who don't know what hockey is, every Canadian was watching the game.
we were on the tch(trans canada highway) and traffic was very, very light.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I read today that Mr Neidermeyer and a couple others gave thier gold medal bonus to a charity!Thats Cool!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
In Ontario, our electrical power consumption went up just before the game started and during the commercials it would spike as people used appliances and the ********. The grid control guys were busy. After the Crosby goal, consumption dropped and returned to a normal weekend pattern.