Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

New OCD

Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
New OCD

Have been interested in a better way to detail the exterior of the vehicles under my care and more importantly how to remove the swirl marks and fine scratches (some not so fine) from the paint of the SH.
A while back I purchased a DA polisher and some foam pads from China Freight. I chose this route as the tool is about half the price of a Porter Cable tool, which seems to be the entry level for a pro quality tool. My thinking was If things work out I can always upgrade.
Went at the SO's daughter's '95 Buick. The paint was in bad shape. used a heavy cut compound with the most aggressive pad on hoods and roof, a lighter one on the sides. Wow!
On to the SH. The tank was getting beat-up. Lots of scratches, swirl marks and overall lack of depth to the shine. Doing it by hand just wasn't getting it.
After a medium then fine cut polish on two different pads the results were amazing. Swirl marks gone and all but the remnants of the worst scratches also gone. Followed up with a good wax and the shine is almost liquid looking.
In my new found excitement I dropped a couple hundred at AutoGeek. Better pads, some good quality micro fiber drying towels, which are amazing. The biggest surprise was the nano skin mitt. I have known about clay and what it is for, but never have had any experience with the stuff. After some reading I decided that the nano skin would serve me better and while not as good as clay (according to some reviews) would be good enough for me. After receiving the order and looking at the invoice I was shocked that I spent almost $50 dollars on this piece of rubber and micro fiber. Well the cost was quickly forgotten the first moment it touched the paint on my truck. Simply amazing! What it did to the glass and paint, and the ease that it did it was worth every penny. If you never get beyond wash and wax, this is the one extra step that is so worth it. After drying the paint was already shiny and what it did to the glass, well it looked like new glass all around.
The hardest part has been trying to sort through the bewildering amount of products available.
OCD is a double edge sword.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I needed something else to spend money on and take up time.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I watch our detail guy do this often. What I wonder is.... he's cutting through clear coat and never replacing it. I know, wax is then applied but still, I want my clear...

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 AM
SuperBike

Yes. it removes a small amount of clear. How much depends on the level of cut that the compound provides, how aggressive the pad is (I think) and how long spent in one area. The abrasives are diminishing. That means the abrasive breaks down, getting finer and less abrasive. I don't think that it is an issue with a clear coat in newer/good condition. Old, heavily worked paint is/can be, as I understand things, an issue. I suspect this this is the reason that paint thickness electronic measuring instrument are used by high end detailers.
I was a bit concerned when I was working the tank on my SH. I came out fine, but I have no idea as to how much is too much.
A surprise happened when polishing the tank. There is a slighter deeper colored area forward of the gas cap. Maybe a half by three inches. Was there a label there? Something like unleaded fuel only or this tank needs filled more often than you would like?
I'm a complete newb with this subject, so.... YMMV
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I thinks it's pretty common to have some type of fuel label there like you outline. You know, "Warning, gasoline is flammable dumbass." or whatever.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 09-24-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

BTW, xeris, gasoline is flammable, dumbass.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
I have been a Griots Garage products junkie for 20+ years fun stuff! I have wet sanded clear coated cars with 2000 w-d paper then compounded in three steps, glazed (an important step) then either sealant or wax. Cars are easier to do than bikes less sharp edges and tightly rounded surfaces! Clay is amazing, I have never used the mitt thing
Old 09-25-2016, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
BTW, xeris, gasoline is flammable, dumbass.
Dumbass? I'm way below dumbass.

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
I have been a Griots Garage products junkie for 20+ years fun stuff! I have wet sanded clear coated cars with 2000 w-d paper then compounded in three steps, glazed (an important step) then either sealant or wax. Cars are easier to do than bikes less sharp edges and tightly rounded surfaces! Clay is amazing, I have never used the mitt thing
That reason became apparent the moment the pad touched the bike. I now have 3" backing plate and pads. While not perfect, it's much easier to get around the tight angles.