Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

My summer is over

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
Angry My summer is over

So i decided to grab my road bike and go cycling after work on tuesday. after a decent 40 or so mile spin, i was coming through an intersection less than a quarter mile from my house when i got cut off my some dick in a VW. Bike got destroyed, i thought i was fine at the time... did a chinese gymnast flip over the hood.

I wake up yesterday and can't even hobble around. come to find out that my patella has exploded. Now i'm looking at being in a knee brace for at least 2 months and the possibility of surgery. What kills me is that i can't bend my leg to ride my 'Hawk.

Has anybody else had knee issues like this at all? i'm curious how long it will be before i can ride anything on 2 wheels, hike, snowboard, etc etc.

I think the important lesson here is don't use the roads in Massachusetts.... for anything, lest you want to get run down.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Man im really sorry to hear about this, It sucks! I was out for 2 months in the beginning of the summer due to a arm injury. Just got back ridding last Monday.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
ouch man sorry to hear it. Hopefully it will heal up quickly.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
That sucks, man. Good that you made it through without more damage, though.

This is a good reminder for the common advice to a) watch out close to home (seems we ease concentration) b) wait a bit before confirming no harm done

Take you time with recuperating and I'll bet you'll be riding in before long.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I'll be living vicariously through you all while doped out on percocet, sitting on the couch with my peg leg.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Shitty, but I feel your pain. A dirt bike "get off" left me with a torn meniscus and a partially detached ligament. After the initial swelling has subsided I was able to ride again, although I was careful how I set my right leg down whenever I came to a stop. Actually, it felt better to ride that to hobble around or even sit still at home. I've been able to ride pre & post operation. It does hurt from time to time... no real rhyme or reason to it. It could start throbbing at the beginning of a ride or it could go unnoticed on a 10 day trip. When it starts to hurt I just straighten it out and it will usually feel better & not bother me for the rest of the day. I also find that when my lower back goes out, a nice jaunt on the VTR actually makes it feels better... loosens up the muscles. Maybe motorcycling is some sort of undiscovered miracle therapy!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope... Not knee... But I'm kinda in the same boat... I was on my pedal bike when doofus decided to turn right to park (no road there, which was why I was blindsided...) without signaling/looking...

Clipped me, but thankfully didn't run me down, but I ended up with a broken collar bone and sprained ankle and big toe... Believe me, you don't know what pain is until you have tried spraining your big toe... According to the doctors, it's responsible for about 95% of the balance in one foot... Ie it hurts more than a sprained ankle...

And yeah... The foot and the collarbone just happens to be the same side, so no go with a crutch...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear of your accident. I've always thought you have one of the coolest avatars on the forum.

I hear you about Mass drivers. My wife and I were visiting an old friend of hers in Lincoln, Mass 10 years ago. We got in her minivan to go rent a canoe on the Condord, and I thought we were going to die. I was sitting in the passenger seat, white knuckling, as she was screaming around these narrow, winding tree lined roads, talking all the time. I was thinking "shutup and drive". She almost hit a pedestrain. Scared the crap out of me.

Opps, I want to change the first sentence to "Sorry to hear of the stupid cluless idiot driver running into you". Did they say they were sorry?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 08-13-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
That suck man, hope you get well fast!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
From a mass driver/rider: Sorry to hear you got some bad luck and I hope you get better really fast. We don't get really long riding seasons up here. I broke my car on a rut in the road in Worcester that same day. I am strictly bike riding until I get some crafty car work done.

BTW: Beware, Rt. 9 in Worcester on the east side. It's where I hit... the road.... yes I know that sounds wierd but it's true.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
My bud went down on his SM this summer, june firstish, it took a good part of two months for him to be able to bend his leg to ride the sm again. He was straight legging everything. Sorry to hear.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear your bad news. Heal up well.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
So i decided to grab my road bike and go cycling after work on tuesday. after a decent 40 or so mile spin, i was coming through an intersection less than a quarter mile from my house when i got cut off my some dick in a VW. Bike got destroyed, i thought i was fine at the time... did a chinese gymnast flip over the hood.

I wake up yesterday and can't even hobble around. come to find out that my patella has exploded. Now i'm looking at being in a knee brace for at least 2 months and the possibility of surgery. What kills me is that i can't bend my leg to ride my 'Hawk.

Has anybody else had knee issues like this at all? i'm curious how long it will be before i can ride anything on 2 wheels, hike, snowboard, etc etc.

I think the important lesson here is don't use the roads in Massachusetts.... for anything, lest you want to get run down.
Yeah, you gotta watch your *** around here, no question! My Buddy took a tree dead on with his right knee while tree skiing at Jackson Hole last winter. Broke his patella in 3 pieces, but I think he was walking around on it (maybe with a cane) in 4 - 6 weeks. I can't really say how long before he could bend it, but saw him at a party about a month ago and he seemed to be doing just fine on it. Good luck!

Last edited by BluStreak; 08-13-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add words
Old 08-13-2009, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
This is really more common amongst our members than I would have thought. Many of you ride your mountain bikes to stay in shape - including better shape for riding your Superhawk (and other things).

I would never think about getting on a bicycle with leathers or mesh. But I can get plenty excercise on my Superhawk. I admire you guys for your energy levels but I just don't have the desire - especially in speedos.

If I was in Mass right now I might feel differently but after a day in the heat that we have been having, if I go off the yard at all, I'm usually out on the bike early and always back by early afternoon.

The bottom line is you're another rider down due the stupid and careless actions of a cager. I wish you as little pain as possible with your knee because it will be the longest to heal. You're right about your big toe. I broke and dislocated mine. The only thing that is more painful is falling straight down and breaking your tailbone. I visited that one while pulling up my wooden garage door while standing on an unobserved ice puddle one night in Minnesnodalot.

We're going out for a ride this weekend so I will bring my tank bag and camera and take some pictures of how rowdies do it in Texas. I can't wait for the fall riding season to get under full swing. We will ride more now over the next 3-4 months than we do at any other time of the year.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Wow... hate to hear about it man! I ride a specialized hardrock mtb, and have had several close calls with motorists not paying attention. We used to ride on the street alot until we had one too many close calls, and now we basically just ride the trails. I hope you feel better soon and get back on both of your bikes asap!