Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

motorcycle magazine subscription

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
motorcycle magazine subscription

i was thinking about getting a motorcycle magazine subscription so i can keep myself up to date. but with all the different choices it's hard to decide on which one. so i wanted to get some opinions on which one's you guys thought were the best/
thanks
daniel
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: motorcycle magazine subscription

Personally I think the UK bike mags blow away the US ones. Just check out how much stuff is packed into one such as TWO (Two Wheels Only) for example.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
As far as the US magazines go, I'm partial to Motorcyclist. They pretty much only cover street bikes, and are geared mostly to sport/street riders.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
American:
Sport Rider is best, followed by Cycle World. I don't care for Motorcyclist, even at its current .35 an issue.

Brits:
Superbike is best. Performance Bike is next although they've suffered by their recent (and vain) remake. The others are about even except for Fast Bikes which trails the pack by a wide margin.

Keep in mind, though, that a sub to a Brit mag is between 80 and 100 bucks annually.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by YAMAROCKET630";p=&quot
As far as the US magazines go, I'm partial to Motorcyclist. They pretty much only cover street bikes, and are geared mostly to sport/street riders.
I subscribe to Cycle World for the exact opposite reason. I like to read about ALL motorcycles even though I only ride sport bikes. I used to be heavily into dirt bikes so I like to read about them and even though I don't ride other styles, I still like to see what's going on in the world of motorcycles. All except custom choppers you can keep those ugly monsters. Is it me or do they all look the same? I'm sure they say the same thing about sport bikes.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

I agree that the UK's TWO is good, I like Motorcyclist better that Cycle World of late because CW has too much copper focus, they seem to be going after the OCC crowd .
Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 AM
MotoGP

I'd have to agree with the chopper comment Jim. Nothing like a nice write up on a Big Dog or a Texas Chopper. YAWN
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

I have subscribed to Cycle World for several years now, lots of articles on new products, bikes, etc - its worth the $10 or whatever I pay for a year IMHO.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
wow... almost a year later and i finally get some replys to this thread hahahaha. i've ha d a subscription to cycle world for some time now and i seem to like it okay.... it keeps me up to date on all the new stuff... and has some decent articles on classic bikes and people. as for the chopper thing i dunno about that.... but maybe i just automatically flip past those pages.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:59 PM
SuperSport

Loco
[web:99287c0e3a]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nlQ-PTo7WkTDFM:images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006AMTF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/web:99287c0e3a] thats my magazine!

Followed very close second by:
[web:99287c0e3a]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:m45nab2mHt9cnM:http://www.calendars.com/images/019/...0006176_fc.jpg[/web:99287c0e3a]
Old 02-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, if we all liked the same thing there'd only be one motorcycle magazine!
I subscribe to Cycle World and Motorcyclist.
They both have positives to offer.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

True, that's why I read my freinds Motorcyclist sub.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot
wow... almost a year later and i finally get some replys to this thread hahahaha. i've ha d a subscription to cycle world for some time now and i seem to like it okay.... it keeps me up to date on all the new stuff... and has some decent articles on classic bikes and people. as for the chopper thing i dunno about that.... but maybe i just automatically flip past those pages.
Research takes time dude.
I always liked the UK "AWOL"
and US "Easy Rider"
They always picture their subject's pairs.
i.e. two wheels, two....
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
I subscribe to Cycle World because I gotta have my Peter Egan every month. I also subscribe to Motorcyclist and most of the time end up buying Rider at the Safeway magazine rack when I run out of motorcycle magazines to read. I like Rider because they include stories of great sport touring rides that I can only dream about going on - I live vicariously through these articles.
I've been getting cheap subscriptions through Ebay and will try to find a cheap one for Rider Magazine too. Expect a 8 - 10 week wait before they start arriving in your mailbox however.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
If you want a magazine about how cool the writers imagine themselves to be, how many fancy resorts they've visited, how many famous people they know, how many bikes they've wrecked, how many trendy pop culture references they can stuff into each article, how many foreign words they can look up, italicize, and cram into each paragraph, how often they can mention somebody they call "Mr. Sphincter" etc. get Motorcyclist.

If you want a mag about motorcycles and riding, I'd vote for Motorcycle Consumer News.

PS I miss CYCLE MAGAZINE.

Last edited by RK1; 05-12-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
i enjoy sport rider myself, but i do agree the UK mags are jam packed with stuff... cycle world is alright, but for some reason i never got into it.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I think MC has dropped the ball as of lately. Also seems like if its not italian it gets no love. Anyways used to read MC cover to cover, now I flip through. They used to be better.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
TWO and PB are still the best rags to read with consistantly decent content. PB has recently had lots of articles on Flat Track style bikes for instance. Or talk often about how to build your own custom parts. I still can't find an American moto rag I like except the occasional issue of Road Racer X.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-12-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got cycle world MC and sport rider. I can't keep up with them. I also like BIKE and TWO. love the centerfolds in the brit mags.; if only we hadn't been founded by puritans. why couldn't we be founded by criminals like the aussies. if I had to pick one US and one Brit, I would go: US- sportrider
Brit- BIKE.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you should pick up a couple of copies of BIKE (also UK) - I consistently find it the best combination of tests, new/old, real world opinions and bike-related stories also. One of the few mags that I can actually spend most of the month getting through. I like TWO also, but neither is cheap and I like bike better

and actually for honest opinions for nonprofessionals and useful mechanical info/rider skills section, Motorcycle Consumer News is pretty good.

between those and these free sites:
motocycle.com
motorcycledaily.com
motorcycle-usa.com
motorcyclenews.com

its easy to find something to read.