Lanesharing Officially endorsed. From the CHP web page:

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Lanesharing Officially endorsed. From the CHP web page:

Lane Splitting Guidelines

Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California. The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.

Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster – danger increases as overall speed increases.

3) Typically, it is more desirable to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.

4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

The Four R's or “Be-Attitudes” of Lane Splitting:
Be Reasonable, be Responsible, be Respectful, be aware of all Roadway and traffic conditions.

Note:These general guidelines are not guaranteed to keep you safe. Lane splitting should not be performed by inexperienced riders. These guidelines assume a high level of riding competency and experience. Every rider has ultimate responsibility for his or her own decision making and safety. Riders must be conscious of reducing crash risk at all times.

Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers

Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.

- Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

- Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

Getting everyone home safe is a shared responsibility.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Some of the best/fastest lane splitters I know are or were motorcops!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Great find there. I have only been cut off 3 times from lane splitting from a few New Port Beach P***ks. I had 2 guys fly by me at about 60 MPH in 5-10 MPH traffic scare the s**t out of my on the 55 S freeway on one of those days. Being cut off 3 times in 30K miles and having 2 yahoos scare me aint all that bad, I sent this to all my friends abck in SoCal to help them out. So far 4 of them send you "Thank you."
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Intelligent law. Wish government officials up here would take into consideration such traffic improvements. But, I won't hold my breath on this one. They have opposite thinking patterns. The more the laws are severe, and restrictive....especially for motorcycles....they believe they will greatly
improve safety and reduce road accidents.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
If I lived there I probably would choose not to lane split. Maybe at stoplights but that would be only in extreme cases. It's really not worth it, plus I've never seen an instance where it saves much time.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
As a rider with around 10,000 miles of lane splitting, both on the freeway and on surface streets, I disagree.

In SoCal traffic it saves a ton of time, especially back in the '80s and up to the late '90s, before the carpool lanes went in. I had a 75 mile round trip commute. And at red lights, it gets you in front of the pack of cars, which many times gets you past the next light before it turns red.

And I might not be posting this now, if I hadn't chose to lane split back in 1982. I was behind a Monte Carlo in the #1 lane of the 57 south in Brea. I saw traffic backing up ahead, so I moved over to split between the #1 and #2 lanes. As I passed the front of the Monte Carlo, he got rear ended. I was at work 20 minutes later, instead of in the back of an ambulance.

Back in the '80s, when there were more bikes commuting, some drivers would try to give you the "squeeze play" as you approached, and others would just plain try to take you out. Most drivers here in SoCal are much more tolerant of lane splitters now-a-days. But I'm not commuting anymore.

Did I have a number of close calls over the years while splitting? You bet. You have to be super alert... and no earbuds.
+1 In a big city seating in traffic on a motorcycle like the rest of the cars don't make any sense to me, as long as you aware to the risks, I don't see a problem lane splitting and yes it does save tons of time, working in NYC for 8 years I can tell you it did.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mike for sharing, this is a great video, should be as part of instruction manual at the RMV IN ALL THE STATES!!!
BTW, I love the fact they mention on how to hold your fingers ready on the levers, been doing this for 20 years and try to teach everyone I can, it doe's save you reaction time, even if it's only a split of a second, that can save your life.