Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

IRELAND riders, please help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
IRELAND riders, please help me out.

I just found out today that in two weeks I am going to Ireland for a week. I have a couple days of meetings and 4-5 days of personal time. I'm thinking about renting a motorcycle and making it a moto-tour. Problem is, everyone tells me it's going to rain every day (August 21-28). I have no problem with riding in the rain at home, but I just don't want to deal with it much on a vacation. What do you locals think? If you were to put a percentage chance on having rain each day, is it closer to 90% or 10%?Also, is it light showers for a few minutes a day, or heavy rain all day or somewhere in between?

Another question is about hotels/motels. Here in the USA, we have Motel 6, Super 8, etc. where rooms cost US$45 to US$60 per night. Is there an equivalent in Ireland? All I have been able to find so far is 200 Euros a night, and I can't do that.

Any help and info you guys/gals can give me is REALLY appreciated. If you've got a dependable bike in or around Dublin that I can rent, maybe we can work out a deal that's good for both of us. Please reply here or PM me, and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
Man, teh weather here is changeable to say the least, we have a saying "if you dont like the weather, just wait a minute." You could go out in the blazing sun, then an hour later it would be lashing rain, then warm again after that lol.

You could get lucky and get a week of solid sun we do get that the odd time, but tbh itll probly rain at some point.

As for hotels, try holiday inn.

What with ireland being so small there arent that many motels cos people dont travel that far yknow?

bed and breakfasts could be your best bet.

Oh, just noticed your going to dublin. Everything there costs 3-4 times more than anywhere else in the country. Even food and drinks.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

motokraft is on a distinguished road
howdy , ill see if i can get some relevant info for ya , whats the plan head off on a little tour for coupla days or ? weather is very changeable but august usually good , i might be able to help ya out with a bike (nothin fancy but i have bikes ) but you would need to have documentation to show insurance , otherwise you must rent from a rental company (only ones about 30 miles from dublin and unbelievable expensive ) i live in dublin

Last edited by motokraft; 08-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Does anyone rent bikes over at Isle of Man?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Squid

Thanks for the reply motokraft. I fly into Dublin on Saturday the 22nd. I have a tour and dinner Sunday and then meetings Monday. Starting Tuesday morning (the 25th), I'm free to do whatever I want until I fly back out Saturday morning (the 29th). I'm planning a loop down through Cork and back around to Dublin.

Insurance may be a problem. I have a great driving record (no accidents and my only speeding ticket in the last 6 or 7 years was over two years ago), but my insurance only covers me in the USA. I have no idea how to get insurance in Ireland for 4-5 days. Do you know of any carriers in Ireland that would cover a foreigner for 5 days?

I've contacted the motorcycle rental company near Dublin, but I can rent a car for 3 days for the same price as 1 day on their bike. The bike is 120 Euros a day, a car is 160 Euros for 4 days. That bike is just too steep for my budget right now. If you could point me in the direction of affordable insurance, I'd be willing to pay you 20-30 Euros a day to rent one of your bikes (depending on size, condition, etc.) I need to get this figured out pretty quickly since it's only 2 weeks away and I still haven't reserved a car.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 AM
motokraft
Back Marker

Originally Posted by rhorsley
Thanks for the reply motokraft. I fly into Dublin on Saturday the 22nd. I have a tour and dinner Sunday and then meetings Monday. Starting Tuesday morning (the 25th), I'm free to do whatever I want until I fly back out Saturday morning (the 29th). I'm planning a loop down through Cork and back around to Dublin.

Insurance may be a problem. I have a great driving record (no accidents and my only speeding ticket in the last 6 or 7 years was over two years ago), but my insurance only covers me in the USA. I have no idea how to get insurance in Ireland for 4-5 days. Do you know of any carriers in Ireland that would cover a foreigner for 5 days?

I've contacted the motorcycle rental company near Dublin, but I can rent a car for 3 days for the same price as 1 day on their bike. The bike is 120 Euros a day, a car is 160 Euros for 4 days. That bike is just too steep for my budget right now. If you could point me in the direction of affordable insurance, I'd be willing to pay you 20-30 Euros a day to rent one of your bikes (depending on size, condition, etc.) I need to get this figured out pretty quickly since it's only 2 weeks away and I still haven't reserved a car.
sorry the only way i see around this , is rental company ,you will not find any insurance companys helpful here its a pretty serious offence to take to the road here with no ins , did you get hotels sorted ill get you links for maybe more affordable stuff outside the city !! www.biker.ie is a great site you will get all the help you need ,
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 AM
motokraft
Back Marker

http://www.biker.ie/index.php theres the link come over have a look ,. (my name is 2strokey on site , there is weekly rideouts and stuff you will be welcome , and there could be some events of intrest (youtube irish road racing ! ) hope this is of some help !
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Squid

Thanks again motokraft, I'll have a look at that site. I've figured out the route I want to take (almost 1400km over 4 days). Now I just need to decide where I'll stop to spend each night and find hotels/motels there. You're right about the insurance being a problem. I think I should probably give up on the bike idea and get a car. I'll reserve a car Monday if I can't find some insurance before then.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

sign yourself upto that irish site , explain when your coming over and app intended route , im sure youll get an invite or 2 to something bike related on your travels
Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
you dont find an insurance company here to cover you whilst your over

you need to ring your insurance company in america and get them to give you international cover

by the time you did that and paid motorkraft to rent a bike you might as well just go to a rental agency as they will include insurance in their price obviously