Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

1000 miles in <24 hours...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
1000 miles in <24 hours...

Anybody here ever done the Iron Butt thing? Looks like me and a few friends might just be planning to give it a go.

I'd be on the CBR 1000F, not the SH.

Likely leave Bham, go north thru Nashville, then over to St. Louis, then back south to Memphis, then back to Bham.

I've done 600 miles in about 15 hours several times, so maybe adding 400 more miles in 9 more hours would not be so bad.

If you've done it - or tried it - lemme know.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I did 985 miles in 14 hours on the VTR with a Sargent. It was undocumented though and mostly highway. Straight through from St. Louis to Charleston, SC.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I did 985 miles in 14 hours on the VTR with a Sargent. It was undocumented though and mostly highway. Straight through from St. Louis to Charleston, SC.
I think I would have run in circles until I hit an even 1000....lol
Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Superstock

Cool Greg.
That counts !!

It's just a dream, but I'd love to do some sort of 1000 mile WIDE OPEN run. The kind of thing that would land you in jail if you tried it.

For example: I think it would be cool to do 100 miles without ever getting below 150 mph.
That type thing.

Oh well, one can dream.....
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You mean "go a hundred miles an hour" until you run out of gas - which is about 40 minutes later!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
You are right, you are dreaming.... you would run out of gas on a superhawk going that fast before you hit 100 miles!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brian A
For example: I think it would be cool to do 100 miles without ever getting below 150 mph.
That type thing.

Motorcyclist magazine did this many years ago in Montana when that state had an "unlimited" speed law in the rural sections. They found you can't do big time speeds AND make time because fuel economy takes a HUGE nosedive and then too much time is spent refueling (assuming you can find a fuel station in the Montana outback!). Kind of a tortoise/hare scenario.

I've done many 600+ mile runs on superbling but only a couple of 800+ days. Those 800's were on a VFR. For me, after that 600 mile mark, the miles get MUCH tougher; i.e, the difference between 3-400 range and the 7-800 zone is extreme. Sort of like running a marathon with the last 8 miles all uphill!

TIP: start taking pain relievers about 1/3 of the way into it. Stretch at stops.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by seaton001
You are right, you are dreaming.... you would run out of gas on a superhawk going that fast before you hit 100 miles!
Not true. I was still getting about 110 miles before RLOD going 95mph (same 985 mile trip). It really does get old after a while. Beats the **** out of the rear tire too, especially in summer months.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
My longest day was 759 miles in 11 hours and I was on a BMW K100RS 16v going from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Brevard, NC. Man that was a cool trip!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
I did a 1300km (a bit over 800 miles) one-day ride on my SH on Sunday last weekend. I'd ridden 600km on Friday night for a meeting on Saturday, and rode the long way home.

The bike is stock standard except for removal of carb restrictors. Suspension set on the sports side of touring. Seat OEM.

The long way home includes several gorge and hill pass roads, about 400km of twisties to make life interesting, though our usual NZ roads are full of corners anyway. I had a pack on my back, with much paper in it, so my shoulders are still a bit weary even today.

Average speed: exactly 100km/hr (62.14mph), including fuel and meal stops; average fuel consumption (converted to Imperial NB 25% more than US) 43.45mpg. I seldom go over 5500rpm, but chew out tyres through cornering as I don't slow down a hell of a lot either.

My best day's distance was 1900km (1200 miles) around most of NZ's South Island in about 1981, on an XJ650 Yamaha, but I've done several 1000 mile days on BMWs. The SH is the most modern machine I have ever done distance above 500 miles a day on, and is not surprisingly much less tiring than those old things.

We used to have non-stop 1000 mile road trials here years and years ago; you were given an average speed for each section and lost one point for every minute fast and 1/2 point for every minute slow. My grandfather won one in 1922 on an H-D, with the loss of one time point. All roads then were gravel.

I won another, run over 2 days, in 1974 on a Suzuki triple. It was much less tough than in the old days, as only about half of the route for that one was gravel. Over the 25 sections, the overall average required was about 42mph, I seem to recall. One of the mountain passes on that road trial was a gravel road through snowy farmland, and I was so cold I could hardly get off and on the bike to open and close the gates.

It is perhaps needless to say that I like the easier life I have now.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Squid

Jonny is on a distinguished road
On my VFR:

Day 1: 250 miles
Day 2: 850 miles
Day 3: 1000 miles
Day 4: 1000 miles
Day 5: 350 miles

Day 1 a breeze. Day 2 suprizingly easy. Day 3 hurt. Day 4 hurt really bad. Day 5 a breeze.

Work up to it. Plan your first 1000 mile ride for mostly highway. Eat a little at each stop and if the weather is hot drink lots of water. You'll sweat it out before you have to take a leak. The body will probaly hurt but your mind will be fried at the end of the day.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
On my way back from California to Florida a couple of years ago i drove 1,180 on my 1997 Honda VFR750. I dont care what anyone says after 800 or so miles your butt will be sore on any kind of seat doesnt matter if it is a goldwing or a side car. At least on these kind of bikes (VTR and VFR) and others, you are leaning forward just a tad so that when the wind hits you are like floating in a pocket of air off your butt bone and off your wrists. (How about that choice of words. You like that dont ya.) That is what i noticed about my concours when i bought it. After 300 or 400 miles my *** bone was hurting. All my bikes have been bikes like VTR and VFR and Triumph Sprint so i am not used to sitting on my butt bone. I guess i better get used to it though in July i am taking a 9000 mile trip on it from Florida to California then up to Washington and over to Montana.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Squid

wtxrider is on a distinguished road
i woke up right before midnight one night, i was 17 at the time, 18 now this was in august, i woke up and decided i was gonna try and go to canada on my bike, an 86 honda magna v65, i left at midnight from big spring,tx, no credit card or nothin, so i had to make sure i hit the big towns, went to lamesa, headed west to roswell i think then went straight up north through colorado, i got to colorado springs and got pulled over and was made to get a hotel, this was at 12 pm that day, no ticket or nothin, i wasn't makin good time cause my bike was ony gettin about 28 to 32 mpg in that part of the country, then left at 9pm from the hotel , went straight up and made it about 40 miles north of cheyenne wyoming, it was about 330 in the morning, i was freezin a cold front had blew in i still had about 400 miles to get to butte montana, where iwas gonna get a hotel, but i turned around and came back down through the panhandle and made it back at midnight, 1800 mile trip in exactly 48 hours
Old 04-21-2007, 07:09 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I did 750 way back in college on a 24 hr fatboy rental. I think the thing is you get uncomfortable no matter what riding position you're in if you can't move around a little. At least for me anyway...
Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I have thought about it a couple times lately.. thinking of doing the 50CC Iron Butt this summer... Jacksonville, Fl to Ca in 50 hours or less. Coast to Coast in 50 = 50CC) I guess I'm goint to have to do it alone. All my buddies complain after 20-30 minutes in the saddle.. LOL, a good friend of mine and I did 150 miles on Sunday... (i kept riding more later) he wouldnt get on his bike for 2 days...

Long and short of it... It IS on my list, but no tat this time. I cant take time off work, and money is an issue also..
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Welding a semi tank on the back seat should fix the fuel issue
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Cleveland
I have thought about it a couple times lately.. thinking of doing the 50CC Iron Butt this summer... Jacksonville, Fl to Ca in 50 hours or less. Coast to Coast in 50 = 50CC) I guess I'm goint to have to do it alone. All my buddies complain after 20-30 minutes in the saddle.. LOL, a good friend of mine and I did 150 miles on Sunday... (i kept riding more later) he wouldnt get on his bike for 2 days...

Long and short of it... It IS on my list, but not at this time. I cant take time off work, and money is an issue also..
Yes, I am familiar with that and think it would be a really cool thing to do.
I find myself getting more interetsed in real challenges that are legal yet "out there" enough to be something real enough to test you.

I have had real bad sciatic nerve problems in my left leg for the last 4 months, so if I can complete the 1000 miles in <24 hours, it WILL be a major accomplishment for me.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

No jokes I checked and found these, definitely worth a look
http://www.tourtank.com/allparts.html
Old 04-25-2007, 07:05 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
No jokes I checked and found these, definitely worth a look
http://www.tourtank.com/allparts.html
Those are pretty nice. And do you really have one D&D and one stock can LOL thats awesome-it's like wearing a dress shoe and a sneaker.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Those are pretty nice. And do you really have one D&D and one stock can LOL thats awesome-it's like wearing a dress shoe and a sneaker.
I sure do, for some odd reasons it sounds better, when I bought the SH 3 years ago, I was out of money for the exhaust kit, so I figured out that I could wait using the pipe out of my RIP'ed ZX-9, so beeing the carefull craftman that I am, I pinched the end of the pipe in a vise, heated the pipe from the inside and bent it to fit, slapped it in there and voila, instant D&D fit with the agricultural look as a must. It sounded awesome, and one day I went to see my ex-girlfriend at work(bike shop) and some guy was there with a VTR, the bike chat was unavoidable and I asked him to fire this thing up so I could hear his full D&D exhaust. I was shocked, mine was sounding better , to keep the sound like I wanted, I dumped my exhaust project, saved a grand, did not even fix the huge exhaust leak since it's drawing air in maybe it's part of the dynamics that make that sweet sound. Sound and resonances and pretty unpredictable, I could not imagine that this could sounds better, in fact I hoped that it won't sound too bad. If I ever want no attention on those wild nights, I made a plug for the D&D and it quiet out, so I can get hove without annoyance.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
i have only riden 300 miles in one day! Such a newb!!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
300 is my longest day....so this upcoming trek will be interesting...7 days worth of riding...ouch!! I can't wait....
Old 06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
My dad and his buddies are all iron butt club members and I got the introductory ride last summer. We left St. Louis for a 9 day trip. First day was an easy 600 miles, day two wasn't much different. Day three was our longest day we rode from vail, CO to Salt Lake City, UT then on to the Great Salt Flats where i made my first 150+MPH run on the hawk!! After that we continued our trip down to Las Vegas Total that day came to around 1200miles total including all the runs at the salt flats. After vegas we went to Phoenix, AZ then to the grand canyon and on to Albuquerque, NM (WHICH SUCKS!!!) From there to Tulsa, OK and back to St Louis. In total in 9 days we did 4900miles total. We were only able to ride 6 of the 9 days because I was visiting friends in vegas and my new school in Phoenix for two days.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Originally Posted by Brian A
Cool Greg.
That counts !!

It's just a dream, but I'd love to do some sort of 1000 mile WIDE OPEN run. The kind of thing that would land you in jail if you tried it.

That type thing.

I ran I55 from Joliet [plainfield exit 257] to Bloomington [market exit 165] on my hawk with 58 minutes elapsed between my gas receipts.... Thankfully, I got the ******* about 500 yards before a speed trap and it was the ******* in the black mustang that got the ticket...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
I ran I55 from Joliet [plainfield exit 257] to Bloomington [market exit 165] on my hawk with 58 minutes elapsed between my gas receipts.
Yeah I bet your tire looked like hell after that, too. Heat kills them...

I did 390+ on June 2nd... from here to Greenville, SC and back (a little around town driving also) Trip down was great... hit Charlotte and was running with this Denali @ better than 120 for about 20-30 miles... Let him lead... Then on the way back Tropical storm "Barry" had hit land... I did three hours in the pouring rain, at night (11pm to 2am), after being up all day on 5 hours sleep... Man, that sucked.