Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Emergency vehicle question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Emergency vehicle question

I understant that if you come upon an "Emergency" vehicle on the side of the road, you must either move over a lane or slow down 20 mph lower than the posted speed limit, when passing by the vehicle.(at least in Florida). So my question is, does a cop running radar and / or on the side writing a ticket, constitute an emergency vehicle?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
Cop running radar, you would not need to move over for. Cop with someone pulled over and his lights on, yes. That is how Nj works.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
I think it is the same in Illinois, although many don't follow the law and I haven't seen it enforced.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Almost positive it is passing a cop with lights on here in CA as well.

In fact I am pretty sure my dad got a ticket for it several years ago! ...He was not amused.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
yes you actually need to move lanes as well. where in FL are you?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
316.126 Operation of vehicles and actions of pedestrians on approach of authorized emergency vehicle.—
(1)(a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, while en route to meet an existing emergency, the driver of every other vehicle shall, when such emergency vehicle is giving audible signals by siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device, or visible signals by the use of displayed blue or red lights, yield the right-of-way to the emergency vehicle and shall immediately proceed to a position parallel to, and as close as reasonable to the closest edge of the curb of the roadway, clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by any law enforcement officer.
(b) When an authorized emergency vehicle making use of any visual signals is parked or a wrecker displaying amber rotating or flashing lights is performing a recovery or loading on the roadside, the driver of every other vehicle, as soon as it is safe:
1. Shall vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle or wrecker when driving on an interstate highway or other highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle or wrecker, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.
2. Shall slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or greater; or travel at 5 miles per hour when the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, when driving on a two-lane road, except when otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.
(c) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall provide an educational awareness campaign informing the motoring public about the Move Over Act. The department shall provide information about the Move Over Act in all newly printed driver's license educational materials after July 1, 2002.
This section shall not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
(2) Every pedestrian using the road right-of-way shall yield the right-of-way until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, unless otherwise directed by any police officer.
(3) Any authorized emergency vehicle, when en route to meet an existing emergency, shall warn all other vehicular traffic along the emergency route by an audible signal, siren, exhaust whistle, or other adequate device or by a visible signal by the use of displayed blue or red lights. While en route to such emergency, the emergency vehicle shall otherwise proceed in a manner consistent with the laws regulating vehicular traffic upon the highways of this state.
(4) Nothing herein contained shall diminish or enlarge any rules of evidence or liability in any case involving the operation of an emergency vehicle.
(5) This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
(6) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable pursuant to chapter 318 as either a moving violation for infractions of subsection (1) or subsection (3), or as a pedestrian violation for infractions of subsection (2).
This is the actual Florida law as written. So by law, you only have to move over if the lights are on, but this does include police and wreckers.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Geekonamotorcycle; The other coast from you. Jupiter.

Evines. That's for the post. From what you said and how I read it, am I right that there needs to be lights flashing, either on a law enforcement vehicle, fire rescue or wrecker type of vehicle to be considered to be in an emergency mode. So if an office is running radar, he is not in an emergency mode. And, if he has someone pulled over, for any reason, with no lights on, he is still non-emergency. The deal is, "lights on".
It's not really an issue for me, I haven't had a problem. i was driving to work on I-95 this morning and noticed a city police car in the HOV lane, slow way down as he passed a motorcycle cop, who was in the process of ticketing someone. Lights on. It just got me interested.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
It's the same in south Carolina, But generally if a cop is pulled over with his lights on he is already busy with someone else and isn't gonna jump out and stop you.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
If you're passing thru Pennsylvania, same rules apply.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
moving over or slowing down for emergency vehicle is a nation wide law. same in ca, az, nc, ok. i got warned in all those states and even on base.